Question Slowest-opening Windows Apps for Benchmarking ?

Why would it matter for them to be slow opening apps?
All you need to do is to show the difference in percentage between different sets of hardware.
Also wouldn't slow opening apps be slow opening due to opening several different "modules" or different things in general? So you would have to track how much of the loading time is actually loading and how much is idle time waiting for something else to finish.

Anyway the slowest thing for me to load is borderlands 3 although I doubt it falls into the category you are after.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Games are likely to be the longest things to load. But it depends really as most load into menu screens first, and then load the actual stages.

There was a list of slow opening apps from 12 years ago but time and changes in software and hardware make that redundant. Obviously faster loading off nvme

slowest load I get is starting a VM of Windows 10(4 cores, 8gb ram, 30gb storage), I can't think of anything else

database managers might be slow too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ANAND_1981

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
When I was still working as an editor, I remember Adobe apps (and Pinnacle Studio) being absolutely slow to load. Premiere and After Effects were the worst offenders. Of course, the downside is you need to fork out some cash to get these apps.

Also, for some reason the Windows 11's Video player takes so long to load on my device.

apiltch

Editor-in-Chief
Editor
Sep 15, 2014
Why would it matter for them to be slow opening apps?
All you need to do is to show the difference in percentage between different sets of hardware.
Also wouldn't slow opening apps be slow opening due to opening several different "modules" or different things in general? So you would have to track how much of the loading time is actually loading and how much is idle time waiting for something else to finish.

Anyway the slowest thing for me to load is borderlands 3 although I doubt it falls into the category you are after.

Thanks. I asked for slow-loading because an app that only takes 1 to 2 seconds to load on a normal system is not going to show enough improvement to measure outside of some margin of error. So, if Chrome opening to a blank tab takes 1 second now and I improve it to get to 0.8 seconds, that's not very compelling and also could attributed to randomness. However, if something takes 10 seconds and I can get it to 8, that's noticeable and meaningful.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
never really thought about it at all but my first brainstorm would be a large database of some type.

it would need to load a lot of data so would show hdd/ssd speeds, ram speed would come into play as all that data is loaded to it and as the database uses the data. finally some type of data crunching to produce a report or analysis of the data would test the cpu speeds and how it is effected by ram and other pieces of the subsystem (maybe infinity fabric oc or other such "enthusiast" tweak)

i am not an expert but some basic tinkering in the past showed a large report being run can take multiple minutes to complete. so something like this should offer enough length of time to show true benefit or not as you make system changes.

just a quick random 2 cents from me :)

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
IntelliJ IDEA. Heavyweight universal IDE, reasonably representative, good mix of ST and MT workload, and large memory and disk access footprint given sufficient number of large projects with long version control history and framework integration set to open on startup.

USAFRet

Titan
Also, just opening applications may not be a long enough time to notice any real difference.
1 sec vs 0.6 sec.....while it is "faster", is anyone going to notice that 0.4 sec?

Instead, how about a function that does take some time.

A few years ago, when I upgraded from an i5-3570k + 16GB RAM to i7-4790k + 32GB RAM....
Same SATA III SSD.

I did a trial of importing 100 RAW files from my Fuji camera into Adobe Lightroom.

IIRC, with the i7 it was about 35% faster. And enough of a timespan to actually notice. Some minutes.

Another word of caution is loading can be affected by the rest of the hardware as well. For instance, if you're timing from when you launch the application to some defined "interactive" point (e.g., if measuring a game, when you're in-game and/or controls are responsive), then a lot can happen that requires the CPU to do stuff too.

It might be useful if you're doing an overall assessment of loading to include the CPU utilization. And just for more stats for nerds, bandwidth, # of requests, and disk utilization over time.

neo3703

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019
Application load speed can depend on many factors. From the system configuration, if the software is on the HDD, then it will be slower. If there is little summary RAM, the download may take longer.
When I tested the SSD, I measured the loading time of games. The difference was small.
CPU and RAM performance can also be affected. This can be especially noticeable on very old systems.
On modern systems, the difference is imperceptible.

I wanted to insert a video with the results of such tests, but they will be deleted.

According to me, the best slowest opening benchmarking app for windows is PCMark 10.

It is a stable version that does not require the internet to open and is a comprehensive benchmarking tool that assesses the performance of your PC. The app is designed to test all aspects of your system, including the processor, memory, storage, and graphics card.

In addition, PCMark 10 also measures the boot time and battery life of your PC. As such, it is an invaluable tool for anyone who wants to get the most out of their system.

This one will be the best option for your requirement.

Sep 22, 2022
Hi all,

I'm looking for some of the slowest opening apps that run in Windows. Caveat: these apps must not require an Internet connection and must be available in a stable version.

The idea is to benchmark what faster storage, RAM or CPU does to the app opening times. Any suggestions?
slowest that opens on my laptop (lenovo y510p) is chrome

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
Hi all,

I'm looking for some of the slowest opening apps that run in Windows. Caveat: these apps must not require an Internet connection and must be available in a stable version.

The idea is to benchmark what faster storage, RAM or CPU does to the app opening times. Any suggestions?
PaintDotNet Heck, just finding the right link to click to download is a tricky task.