Question Slowest-opening Windows Apps for Benchmarking ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Midstr8

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2015
Would be better for you to give us a list of apps to open. Or an app to track how fast our apps open. Because I don't have any older software. Or older hardware. Everything starts fast enough that i'm not concerned.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i was surprised when i went from a 3600x to a 5900x. it was plenty fast before but i can actually tell the difference in how fast stuff loads. it's not massive amount of time saved but i for sure notice it being just a bit snappier than before.

i'm sure it's less than a sec difference but i was surprised that i could actually see the difference.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
From my top of the mind: M$ Word or any CAD program.

But regarding games, Sims 3 and Sims 4 are very slow to load. Especially when having (almost) all DLCs installed. E.g having Seasons DLC alone for Sims 3, almost doubles the time game loads, before you can play it. Things are so bad, that they even have included minigame for you to play, while the game loads (click and point hidden object game).

Oh, Sims 3 works without internet connection. Unsure about Sims 4, didn't test that.

Sep 25, 2022
Hi all,

I'm looking for some of the slowest opening apps that run in Windows. Caveat: these apps must not require an Internet connection and must be available in a stable version.

The idea is to benchmark what faster storage, RAM or CPU does to the app opening times. Any suggestions?

Hi,

I found out a few applications opening slowly. These are noticed when the device is in idle mode with free RAM available.

1. Microsoft Store

2. Windows Defender (with Norton Antivirus installed)

Hope this helps!

Sep 26, 2022
Saw this and had to supply my stand out worst performer: Photoshop 21 takes 19 seconds even if already in memory. Yes, it is from an SSD, 16GB RAM, i5 10600KF. Windows 10 itself is almost quicker. CS5 loads in 2 seconds for me so I use that for simple day-to-day stuff.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Microsoft IDEs like SQL Management Studio and Visual Studio are at the top of my lists as well, maybe PowerBI Desktop as well. Problem is they get updated a lot, so you might have to force having it not check.

But a consistent launch of a large excel file might be a good idea, though O365 will need to check in every once in a while. Do they still sell the standalone 2019?

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
Hi all,

I'm looking for some of the slowest opening apps that run in Windows. Caveat: these apps must not require an Internet connection and must be available in a stable version.

The idea is to benchmark what faster storage, RAM or CPU does to the app opening times. Any suggestions?
Have you considered Blender, and other full-featured movie editors, or anything else that is heavily graphics oriented? Couldn't you also look at load times from the perspective of loading a video into the editor, or a large database/spreadsheet/document/etc.? How about running file copy tests of large files

For that matter, Windows itself is pretty bloated, so you could test startup time with a suite of popular startup apps.

Does that help?

Sep 29, 2022
Have you considered autodesk software?
I use Inventor for work and it's 10-30 seconds depending on the machine.

Edit: And you can write your own plug-in to record the exact loading times (if you're into that sort of thing).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's nothing that's really 'slow' anymore because everything I can think of is no longer large enough in its singularity to be slow. Everything is modular. MS Office was slow to load, but now it's split up, all the apps seperate. Cirius is quite slow, in Windows, but requires internet, but if run as a standalone OS, it's fast.

To be honest, the absolute slowest thing I've encountered recently, that doesn't 'require' an internet connection, but does benefit from having one, is Windows itself.

Awev

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
I have to agree with two suggestions other people have already made.

First would be Windoze - almost any version. Even better, a regular and a ghost script (edited, stripped down version) version of Windoze 10 - lets see the amount of bloat Micro$oft has in their OS.

Corel Video Studio with something like 10 undo levels. When I had a 1 Mb DSL connection it was ok opening to the start screen, and going to a 1GB cable did not change that, seems as if it downloads it's marketing material in the background. The biggest influence that I noted in actually using the program was how many levels of undo I had selected - when you first start the first edit can be saved to RAM, after that you are writing to disk, and it has to manage that - what happens when you make your 11th edit, and you have 10 levels of undo selected, it now has to erase the 1st save, save the 11th, and update it's own working tables, etc. So opening a project with a lot of edits already made, and a good number of plug-ins, should tax the whole system, with a bit extra on the disks.

Not an app/program/software, yet an operating system - Gentoo. You custom build Linux for the hardware you are running - compile a new version for each change in the hardware.

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
Hi all,

I nominate Gimp and Eclipse (java edition)

marikeet

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Family Tree Maker 2019 sometimes takes several minutes to load. I don't know if it has anything to do with the number of people, over 5000, in the tree or more than 6000 media.
I needed a bigger hard drive and got a 2 TB SSD, twice as big as before and now this same Family Tree Maker 2019 tree opens in a few seconds on the same laptop. The old hard drive was the kind that spins, the new one does not spin.