Question Small stuttering in games (Video)

Jan 10, 2021
Hello everyone!
I have small stuttering happening in my games for a while now...i dont know what can i do to fix this

my spec:
i5 8600k 4.7ghz
Rx Vega 56 Nitro+ OC'd
16 GB Ram DDR4 on 3200mhz (XMP on bios)
EVGA 650GQ

i recorded it happening on Detroit Become Human with my phone to show you guys what really happens...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7w8S4t974E&feature=youtu.be

You can see it happening the first time in 00:09 seconds and the second one in 00:12 seconds.
Any ideas on why this happens?

Ajfer03

Great
Jan 10, 2021
Hmm. It seems as if there is data being transferred to your GPU's memory and it stutters because it is taking a second to load in. This happened to me once before on my 1060 when I ran on higher graphics. It could be because something in your system is thermal throttling like your CPU or GPU. If this is not the case then I would completely uninstall and reinstall my graphics software. It could also be the cause of overclocking. Drop your overclocks on everything and try running the game again to see if this happens. Lemme know how it goes.

Jan 10, 2021
Hmm. It seems as if there is data being transferred to your GPU's memory and it stutters because it is taking a second to load in. This happened to me once before on my 1060 when I ran on higher graphics. It could be because something in your system is thermal throttling like your CPU or GPU. If this is not the case then I would completely uninstall and reinstall my graphics software. It could also be the cause of overclocking. Drop your overclocks on everything and try running the game again to see if this happens. Lemme know how it goes.

i've already unninstalled and reinstalled my graphics software, using DDU and also Amd CleanUp Utility. Not a change...

i've recorded this new video showing usage of each cpu core when the stutter happens.
the CPU temp seems ok tho
it happens on in 00:03 and 00:14.
We can see that the FPS drop and the cpu usage also go up a little
In this video i removed RAM Overclock (So it was on 2133mhz - dual channel) and GPU Overclock.

What kind of hard drive are you using ? When the game stutters @ 00:03 your VRAM jumps from 29xx to 33xx memory used.

To me it looks like a load stutter as the game is trying to access data...this is usually an issue with the hard drive the game is stored on...it could also just be poor game coding with their level loading code being poor.

Jan 10, 2021
What kind of hard drive are you using ? When the game stutters @ 00:03 your VRAM jumps from 29xx to 33xx memory used.

To me it looks like a load stutter as the game is trying to access data...this is usually an issue with the hard drive the game is stored on...it could also just be poor game coding with their level loading code being poor.

i'm using a SSD 480GB by Sandisk, that's where the game is stored...
i could try to install the game in another SSD to try tho, but in the sandisk software it says the ssd is fine o_O
i've heard that this game has some problems, probably cause its a port

Ajfer03

Great
Jan 10, 2021
i'm using a SSD 480GB by Sandisk, that's where the game is stored...
i could try to install the game in another SSD to try tho, but in the sandisk software it says the ssd is fine o_O
i've heard that this game has some problems, probably cause its a port
Yea I'd try running the game on a different drive than your system drive, and yes more than likely poor coding is the cause. try another game to see if this occurs.

Jan 10, 2021
Yea I'd try running the game on a different drive than your system drive, and yes more than likely poor coding is the cause. try another game to see if this occurs.

i tried but still happens.
i installed Detroit on my system SSD and still happens.
idk, maybe my gpu is not good?
weird cause i thought Vega 56 would be good for 1080p

Ajfer03

Great
Jan 10, 2021
i tried but still happens.
i installed Detroit on my system SSD and still happens.
idk, maybe my gpu is not good?
weird cause i thought Vega 56 would be good for 1080p
Do you have any other games to try it with? Also, try downloading FurMark. It's free and easy to use, and you can really stress your GPU and CPU to see if you still get that same stuttering result. Be careful, if you set the program too high, you can really get things toasty in your PC.

Jan 10, 2021
Do you have any other games to try it with? Also, try downloading FurMark. It's free and easy to use, and you can really stress your GPU and CPU to see if you still get that same stuttering result. Be careful, if you set the program too high, you can really get things toasty in your PC.

i tested it with Ori and the will of the wisps. Got the same annoying frame time spikes
here are 2 recordings show what happens:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN85-a4Tm0U

you can see the fps drops from 100+ to 73

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hap-2wze8sk

you can see it lagging right after i jump with the blue platform.
i've already changed every setting on this game but nothing

Jan 10, 2021
So i did some test with the RAM, and nothing changed.
i started the pc only with 1 stick of 8gb, happened anyway
then started the pc with only the other stick of 8gb, still happened.
changed slots, nothing happened.
guess RAM is ok...

i really dont want to fresh install windows again
any1 got any more ideas?

Aug 4, 2020
I had a similar problem and I believe what I am about to suggest may fix so many problems for others. I tried everything to cure stutter, even changing every part of my PC and then building a new one! I tried last night playing with the ram, stutters were there but I noticed a change in how often or where they would happen based on changing ram settings. It turned out to be the vccio/vccsa voltage. My ram was stable in that it would pass every single test and never crash, yet would still stutter in games, because the power it needed was more than what was being supplied. I upped vccsa to 1.31v and vccio to 1.25v for 4000mhz and the situation was transformed. No more stutters. I have a 10700k so depending on your cpu silicon quality, your imc may need more or less depending on ram speed. If at 3200mhz or above, I suggest trying 1.3v/1.25v sa/io and going from there. Good luck.

Reactions: Jo_Hardy
Jan 10, 2021
I had a similar problem and I believe what I am about to suggest may fix so many problems for others. I tried everything to cure stutter, even changing every part of my PC and then building a new one! I tried last night playing with the ram, stutters were there but I noticed a change in how often or where they would happen based on changing ram settings. It turned out to be the vccio/vccsa voltage. My ram was stable in that it would pass every single test and never crash, yet would still stutter in games, because the power it needed was more than what was being supplied. I upped vccsa to 1.31v and vccio to 1.25v for 4000mhz and the situation was transformed. No more stutters. I have a 10700k so depending on your cpu silicon quality, your imc may need more or less depending on ram speed. If at 3200mhz or above, I suggest trying 1.3v/1.25v sa/io and going from there. Good luck.

hmm...
i never messed with these settings.
i actually only activated XMP Profile. But even with XMP deactivated it still happens.
you think it might be it?

Jan 10, 2021
if i ever have a problem with a game i lower each game setting one at a time to see if the problem goes away.

that was the first thing i did honestly

Yes as when I would run completely stock it would still stutter. After raising them voltages the stuttering went. I honestly was shocked. It could definitely be the cause.

alright then, ill try it later and tell the results after that
thanks!

Jan 10, 2021
Yes as when I would run completely stock it would still stutter. After raising them voltages the stuttering went. I honestly was shocked. It could definitely be the cause.

I tried looking in bios for this option but i couldnt find it
where is it actually?
here are the picture of my bios settings in the memory tab
5pK1DjK.jpg

Jul 30, 2020
It is blank. I had a gigabyte before. Can't remember the exact names of features. Make sure you set bios to advanced mode, not easy mode. In overclock settings you should have voltage settings. It's there

Jan 10, 2021
It is blank. I had a gigabyte before. Can't remember the exact names of features. Make sure you set bios to advanced mode, not easy mode. In overclock settings you should have voltage settings. It's there

but what overclock settings? cpu?
on RAM overclock advanced settings i couldnt find those nomenclatures

Jan 10, 2021
Yes system agent and io is memory controller. Both help to stabilise higher ram frequency

so, i did these changes:
ram voltage to 1.4v (it was 1.35v)
vccio to 1.25v
vccsa to 1.30v

unfortunately on Ori nothing changed...not even 1% of changes. I'm downloading Detroit again but i'm guessing it wont change a thing either.
idk how much i can increase these voltages on vccio and vccsa tho

i'm starting to be hopeless on this
idk what else to do