Question Smaller ATX cases with room for a 4090 GPU ?

jdwclemson

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2014
I'm replacing my old Silverstone gd09b with a case that will be big enough for a 4090 without having to squeeze it in. I don't need any drive bays, but decent cooling and airflow are important. I want ATX a case big enough to fit just about any 4090 and power supply within reason, but not excessive extra space. The Lian Line Air seems good, but I'm told that it might not be able to accommodate the length and height of the 4090. The Silverstone GD11 is also decent, but it looks like its still a matter of squeezing the card in, barely. What are some good compact PC cases that will be big enough to where I won't have consider limited case space as a factor when buying oversized GPU's in the future? I'm fairly neutral between horizontal and vertical mounting as long as its not sacrificing cooling/performance.

The 4090 is going to take up space in ANY case no matter what.

It's a beast of a card considering that these are the specs for just the base card itself (not including custom heatsinks, etc.):
Slot Width: Triple-slot
Length: 304mm (12inches)
Width: 137mm (5.4 inches)
Height: 61mm (2.4 inches)
All info found HERE.

That being said, you want space for the card to breath and don't want it right up against the side of a case or otherwise as that would certainly lead to an early failure of a expensive purchase.

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
The 4090 is going to take up space in ANY case no matter what.

It's a beast of a card considering that these are the specs for just the base card itself (not including custom heatsinks, etc.):
Slot Width: Triple-slot
Length: 304mm (12inches)
Width: 137mm (5.4 inches)
Height: 61mm (2.4 inches)
All info found HERE.

That being said, you want space for the card to breath and don't want it right up against the side of a case or otherwise as that would certainly lead to an early failure of a expensive purchase.
I concur, There are ways to have a 4090 in a small form factor, like getting a water-cooled card, however, smaller cases can be more challenging to build in and the hassle may not be worth it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Most typical mid towers kind of get split in half by RTX 4090, more or less creating a dual chamber system, and they don't fit at all in a lot of the slimmer style ATX cases. A lot of 4090 go well beyond the typical height for an expansion card.

Up to 3.75 slot width as well, which makes many 4-slot Micro ATX cases too small to accommodate and most Mini-ITX completely unuseable.

About the only time I think water cooling is truly worth it. Founder's Edition with a waterblock is a truly small card. Just have to make sure you have radiator and pump/res space.

Reactions: Order 66

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I really loved the AIR an MESH III.

The MESH 3 would have no issues fitting it, the AIR might (check the car you want and the length), its just going to be a lot tighter.

I like on the MESH III, you can have 3x120mm fans blowing AIR on the GPU at all times, I think this is a very nice feature.

Do you now have a motherboard?
Do you like your silverstone case?
If you can use a MATX sized motherboard, the Silverstone TJ08E is about as compact as it gets.
It will hold a graphics card up to 13.5" long.
A 180mm psu(160mm if you need a front dvd drive)
165mm height, enough to hold a Noctua NH-D15. Cooler and gpu supports.
The front intake is 180mm, enough to cool most anything.
Easily washable front filter.
The compact nature of the case directs all airflow over the cpu,mobo and gpu.
I used one for many years and loved it.
Here is a review: