Smartphones Outsell PCs for the First Time Ever

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
For a few years now PCs were built with solid capacitors (meaning longer life spans). And with SSDs that will be extended even further (less mechanical parts = less chance of malfunction).

"Smartphones" are a fad. Kinda like pagers used to be.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]fancarolina[/nom]Anyone want to take bets on how long before Tablets outsell PC's?[/citation]
are real os tablets taken into account?
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Well there are probably several reasons for that, such as the generally lower price of a smartphone (up front, that is). But this doesn't mean the death of PCs, however.[/citation]
0-200 with a plan, 800+ without, and over a 2 year contract about 3-4000$
i cant justify that kind of expense at all, especially if you look at a real computer you can buy with that cash

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]eventually smartphones might with mroe die shrinks and new medium be the main form of computer interface making desktops obsolete... but that day is not here and it will be many years before smart phoen tech catches up to desktop tech. maybe somewhere in the nanotube generations when efficiency allows it but till then i'll keep my nice pretty box *hugs pc*[/citation]

6 or 9nm i believe is the theoretical max, at that point there are no more die shrinks available. and at that point a pc will be able to HUGELY out preform a phone, but the phone will be good enough for most people. [citation][nom]chaoski[/nom]umm...everyone has different needs. Yours might be simple, others is not.I game, and no smart phone can run BC2 or Crysis.MILLIONS of people WORK on PCs and use them for MANY different things.How do you think your Smartphone OS and apps are developed?There will ALWAYS be MUCH need to buy a PC. MMMMKAY[/citation]

well lets say this, take out the interface. lets say at some point you can dock the smartphone into a keyboard, and the keyboard goes to a mouse, and a monitor. there, you have a truly portable computer. have the phone have an os of its own, and independent, and have the keyboard have a ssd drive with a real os, that boots to the phone. and through usb, a hdd for massive storage.

there you go. computer and a phone in one, and with the new 2.5ghz, processor, this may become a reality sooner than latter.

may not play crysis... yet... onlive excluded... but word processor, web browser (waht most people use them for) along with being able to replace a camera for most people and a camcorder... smart phones will only get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.