News Snapdragon X Elite laptops last 15+ hours on our battery test, but Intel systems not that far behind

Bikki

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
Intel laptops reduce cpu speed in haft on battery to get 13hrs mark, very bad for user experience. When plugged in, they have their score reduced in the range of 20-40% when cpu gets hot. Imagine gaming with both cpu and gpu being stressed, you easily lose 70% of framerate in 5 minutes, and it is real for anyone that tried gaming on laptop. For Apple mac pro, their performane is consistent whether on battery or not, and never throttle due to their chip efficiency. Qualcom finally get there, people using windows on new X elite chip can never go back to Intel.

Ref cinebench test : https://www.notebookcheck.net/Micro...th-significantly-more-CPU-power.685190.0.html.

When talking about battery you should also mention efficency. Lasting 3-4 hours more on battery is only one facet of efficiency. Less heat, less fan noise, and less throttling are the other facets. All of those are important for everyday use along with battery life.

Jun 22, 2024
This article is both all over the place and makes no sense. First it says 14-15 hours is a "fairly long work day". What?? I don't know anyone who works 14-15 hours a day on their computer.

Then it says 18-20 hours would be ideal since that would cover 2 work days. If 14-15 hours is 1 work day, how is 18-20 hours enough for 2 work days? That implies a normal work day is 3-6 hours while a "fairly long" day is 14-15.

And finally the article says, let's be "real" because you hardly ever need more than 10-12 hours.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2024
So I am sure you investigated the level of x86 emulation still needed to run windows, yes even the ARM version...

What did you find?

I'm sure you found that emulating x86 from arm takes a bit more power no? You also likely discovered there was ALOT of this happening.

If not there is your next article.

That is of course unless you plan to frame another CONpany favorably without doing the leg work properly

Maybe even multiple CONpanies considering your future research and pending articles?

Else I can't see why this was even a real comparison.

Run a real roots up arm based os with app infrastructure and all.... on that box and redo if you want to, no pun intended, compare apples to apples.

Last edited:
Reactions: ezst036 and rtoaht
Jun 22, 2024
Like others have mentioned this article is all over the place and it looks like you're in cahoots with Intel.

First off anybody who has been following the recent laptop hardware improvments is aware that Intel CPUs throttle hard on battery, so of course they can get close to the same battery life, but we all know that it's at the cost of performance.

Secondly where's the AMD comparisons?

If you're trying to justify your recent purchases for Intel laptops in your office, then sure, this article makes sense, otherwise nobody in their right mind is buying into this.

I wish there were a battery comparison with Cinebench 2024 running on an endless loop at 150 nits of brightness to see how these laptops fair under stress.

This article is both all over the place and makes no sense. First it says 14-15 hours is a "fairly long work day". What?? I don't know anyone who works 14-15 hours a day on their computer.

Then it says 18-20 hours would be ideal since that would cover 2 work days. If 14-15 hours is 1 work day, how is 18-20 hours enough for 2 work days? That implies a normal work day is 3-6 hours while a "fairly long" day is 14-15.

And finally the article says, let's be "real" because you hardly ever need more than 10-12 hours.

What about students, or people who work during the day and go to school at night, or people whose only computer is that laptop? Those are all people who can easily use their computer for more than 10-12 hours a day and all who won't just be surfing the web at 150 nits of brightness. Plus in the age of non-user replaceable batteries and machines that cost the better part of $2000 (Surface Laptop 1TB, for instance), the slower you cycle that battery the better.

Last edited:
Reactions: NinoPino
Jun 22, 2024
I wish there were a battery comparison with Cinebench 2024 running on an endless loop at 150 nits of brightness to see how these laptops fair under stress.

What about students, or people who work during the day and go to school at night, or people whose only computer is that laptop? Those are all people who can easily use their computer for more than 10-12 hours a day and all who won't just be surfing the web at 150 nits of brightness. Plus in the age of non-user replaceable batteries and machines that cost the better part of $2000 (Surface Laptop 1TB, for instance), the slower you cycle that battery the better.
There are also people that only use their computer for 1-2 hours a day. Do you want to read an article saying these laptops have a 1 week battery life because those types of people exist? Of course not. You want to read an analysis based on realistic real world usage. You can simply google "average computer use per day" and see that average daily computer use is about 7 hours per day.

There are also people that only use their computer for 1-2 hours a day. Do you want to read an article saying these laptops have a 1 week battery life because those types of people exist? Of course not. You want to read an analysis based on realistic real world usage. You can simply google "average computer use per day" and see that average daily computer use is about 7 hours per day.
While an "average" 9-5 office worker may spend 7 hours in front of their work computer and then any number of hours at home on their personal computer, there are many people who use one personal machine for a much longer period of time each day, such as the cases I listed, or as mentioned in the article a journalist or contributor, or since these PCs, specifically the Surface devices, feature an advanced touch screen, an artist. Also, if you had a battery life of -only- 8 hours or less, and you forgot to charge it overnight or forgot your charger on an overnight trip, you'd be in trouble.

And yes, I want a worst-case scenario figure for battery life because since everyone's use case is different it serves as a measure of the bare minimum of battery life you can expect, and it also showcases how performance will differ between an x86 and ARM Windows laptop as both heat increases and battery percentage decreases since a web surfing test is not intensive.

You may not use your laptop for anything intensive, but these Copilot+ PCs are targeted at productivity. To quote Microsoft, "The unique experiences that come with Copilot+ PCs were made to accelerate the productivity and creativity of all users." How these things perform while being productive is a key aspect that needs to be tested.

Jun 11, 2024
again intel paid articles, not mentioning amd which is more efficient than intel in its last 2 apus 7000 and 8000.

the way to mislead people in battery reviews:
1- compare 2 devices without accounting for battery size (msi prestige 99.9W)
2- compare with no indication of performance (should be 3 or more metrics for performance (that's why a raptor lake U cpu is more efficient than their best new offerings).
3- don't account for different screens-wifi power draws.

this is special for tomshardware:
4- dont mention one of the biggest competing cpu companies (amd)

syadnom

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
This is a little bit anecdotal, but I don't get the same experience from the windows machines as reviewers do but I do get the same on apple m series. ie, when the reviews say 17 hours, I get 17+ hours on my mBP 16 M2 max. However, the X1 Carbon reviews out around 13h and mine got that for the first week, and never since. it's 6-7 hours on a good day. I've been through a number of long-battery windows machines and they just do not hold up to the reviewer's results after a very short time.

From what I understand, microsoft has basically gutted windows 11 to run on snapdragon. re-written many parts to make it more efficient. I don't know if those efforts will benefit x86 hardware or not (hopefully) but that might change things up. I'd like to see these snapdragon machines after 2-3 months and see if they are still getting 15+ hours.

apiltch

Editor-in-Chief
Editor
Sep 15, 2014
A couple of things. I have updated the story with a little more information. The reason I didn't include AMD laptops in the first draft is because we haven't tested any that lasted more than 9 hours on a charge within the last 12 months. I went back and looked at our colleagues at Laptop Mag, which uses our same test and test conditions, and found two AMD laptops they reviewed in the last year that were more than 9 hours. Only one exceeded 10 hours.

I have also included a few paragraphs on historical testing Laptop Mag did that shows x86 (Intel in this case) laptops getting more than 17 hours on a charge, due to high battery capacity. Yes, that's a trade-off and Snapdragon is pretty efficient per Whr. However, it is not always more efficient than Intel.

Obviously, we can all disagree upon what constitutes "all day" battery life or two-day battery life. I'm definitely guestimating when I say 14 or 15 hours on our test would be one solid workday plus maybe a little more. What's a workday to you? Are you putting the laptop to sleep for some of it? Are you pumping up the brightness or doing more than web surfing? Like anything else, our battery test is a snapshot of a particular, repeatable workload. I would impressed if we crossed the 20-hour rubicon. The 15-hour rubicon has been crossed by Intel PCs in the recent past.

Jun 22, 2024
While an "average" 9-5 office worker may spend 7 hours in front of their work computer and then any number of hours at home on their personal computer, there are many people who use one personal machine for a much longer period of time each day, such as the cases I listed, or as mentioned in the article a journalist or contributor, or since these PCs, specifically the Surface devices, feature an advanced touch screen, an artist. Also, if you had a battery life of -only- 8 hours or less, and you forgot to charge it overnight or forgot your charger on an overnight trip, you'd be in trouble.

And yes, I want a worst-case scenario figure for battery life because since everyone's use case is different it serves as a measure of the bare minimum of battery life you can expect, and it also showcases how performance will differ between an x86 and ARM Windows laptop as both heat increases and battery percentage decreases since a web surfing test is not intensive.

You may not use your laptop for anything intensive, but these Copilot+ PCs are targeted at productivity. To quote Microsoft, "The unique experiences that come with Copilot+ PCs were made to accelerate the productivity and creativity of all users." How these things perform while being productive is a key aspect that needs to be tested.

"While an "average" 9-5 office worker may spend 7 hours in front of their work computer and then any number of hours at home on their personal computer, there are many people who use one personal machine for a much longer period of time each day"

I quoted an average. If you know how math works, then you should assume (given no additional data points) that there are an equal number of people who use much less than 7 hours per day. Why are all those
A couple of things. I have updated the story with a little more information. The reason I didn't include AMD laptops in the first draft is because we haven't tested any that lasted more than 9 hours on a charge within the last 12 months. I went back and looked at our colleagues at Laptop Mag, which uses our same test and test conditions, and found two AMD laptops they reviewed in the last year that were more than 9 hours. Only one exceeded 10 hours.

I have also included a few paragraphs on historical testing Laptop Mag did that shows x86 (Intel in this case) laptops getting more than 17 hours on a charge, due to high battery capacity. Yes, that's a trade-off and Snapdragon is pretty efficient per Whr. However, it is not always more efficient than Intel.

Obviously, we can all disagree upon what constitutes "all day" battery life or two-day battery life. I'm definitely guestimating when I say 14 or 15 hours on our test would be one solid workday plus maybe a little more. What's a workday to you? Are you putting the laptop to sleep for some of it? Are you pumping up the brightness or doing more than web surfing? Like anything else, our battery test is a snapshot of a particular, repeatable workload. I would impressed if we crossed the 20-hour rubicon. The 15-hour rubicon has been crossed by Intel PCs in the recent past.
My computer usage is completely irrelevant because it's just 1 data point. I'm certain there are journalists out there that work 16-17 hours on their computer on a long day and could hypothetically write a review that these laptops cannot really last even 1 work day. That's disconnected from reality and just not useful. That's just as unuseful as a reviewer who uses their computer 2 hours a day and saying these laptops can easily last an entire work week. Again, finding average computer use per day is literally a few seconds away on Google.

It also doesn't help the article at all to say 15 hours is 1 work day while 20 hours is 2 work days.

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
I think the article somewhat misses the mark.

The battery life is better than Intel's offering, but why did no one think to equip a Snapdragon X Elite laptop with a 100Whr battery?

baboma

Notable
Nov 3, 2022
>Snapdragon X Elite laptops last 15+ hours on our battery test, but Intel systems not that far behind

Nothing about benchmarks of the new SD X Elite is surprising. It's just hype meets reality, which we've seen umpteenth times before. The TL/DR can be summed up as "WoA is good, but not great."

Which is fine--and very much welcomed, for the added competition. Windows' x86 platform has been stagnant for decades, and could use the shot in the arm (get it?) for faster innovation.

And for the knee-jerk fanboys yelling ITSA INTEL CONSPIRACY! because AMD laptops weren't compared, this isn't a real comparison anyway. The real test will be against Ryzen AI 300 and Lunar Lake. For battery life, I expect LNL to be on par, and Ryzen AI to fare a bit worse.

OTOH, Intel's focus on power efficiency will have cost it dearly in CPU performance, and more importantly, in design wins--as we've already seen with Asus' new AI laptop offerings as well as others.

That LNL is coming a full quarter after Ryzen AI & SD X surely doesn't help either.

>Is a difference of 2 or 3 hours a real game-changer?

In the broad sense, WoA is already a game changer, if we look at Intel's reaction with LNL. I can only hope it continues.

In the narrower sense of this specific WoA generation, the improvements obviously aren't a big deal. The hype is made worse with MS failing to deliver on its AI promise. The current WoA gen is strictly for early adopters.

The game-changer won't come with this gen, but the next gen aiming at the mainstream. That means $500-900 price range. Reportedly that'll happen by end of '25, but we'll see if OEMs will play ball.

The second aspect to consider is software devs. Large players will jump on the WoA bandwagon, because they have resources to do so, but small outfits will be more reticent until the chicken-or-egg test is passed. This refers back to the above "mainstream WoA" effort, which this gen is not.

WinTel x86's real strength is in its compatibility with the largest software base in the world. Understanding this, then comparing relative performance is fairly superfluous, because compatibility always trumps speed. Even if WoA catches on, it will still take years if not decades to supplant the WinTel hegemony in software.

jlake3

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
I think the article somewhat misses the mark.

The battery life is better than Intel's offering, but why did no one think to equip a Snapdragon X Elite laptop with a 100Whr battery?
My guess would be that market research/market forces have determined that at a certain point mainstream buyers see the battery life as "good enough", and once that threshold is met most customers see cost or weight as being more important than incremental endurance improvements.

There will always be someone who needs the longest possible battery life, but OEMs know most people won't be going far enough off the grid on a regular enough frequency for the trade-offs to make sense, so they're leading with what they think has the widest appeal.

...which gets into some interesting economics. The base-spec HP Omnibook seems to have a 2hr battery improvement over the 11th-gen X1 Carbon while also coming in at a lower price, but the Surface Laptop 15 has less than an hour and a half advantage over the MSI Prestige 16 AI Evo while coming in at $500 more once configured with the same 32gb of RAM as the MSI. The value prospect of the Snapdragon is left kinda muddled, once again.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
More context needed. I did a quick search of the reviews on their site and the only recent AMD laptops I found all seem to have dGPUs.

Is that correct? If so, does that make yours an apples vs. oranges comparison?

Here's a selection of battery life from their gaming laptop reviews:

LaptopBattery life test result (hours and minutes)
Acer Predator Helios 184:53
MSI Vector 166:!3
Alienware x16 R26:32
HP Omen 164:08

Source: https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/a...#section-acer-predator-helios-18-battery-life

Sometimes, context is everything.

I think more people were like me and expecting ARM to do for Windows what it did for Mac. The switch to the M1 chip gained the Air 5 hours and Pro 6 hours over their Intel counterparts, roughly 50% and 60% longer, respectively, going by TomsGuide's numbers on their M1 Mac review.

Header Cell - Column 0Battery life
M1 MacBook Air14:41
M1 MacBook Pro16:32
Asus ZenBook 1313:47
Dell XPS 1311:07
Intel MacBook Air 20209:31
Intel MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020)10:21

The closest really apples to apples there is is the Surface Pro 9 SQ3 vs Intel vs the Snapdragon X Elite, and while battery life is up 10% over the Intel and another 10% for the new X Elite vs SQ3, it's far from as gamechanging and impressive as it was for Apple.

mxBk4Pd7JM2F4xEQsJoZRG-1200-80.png

Header Cell - Column 0Battery Life (hh:mm)Screen Size and ResBattery
Microsoft Surface Pro12:1413-inch, 2880 x 1920, OLED53 Whr

More context needed. I did a quick search of the reviews on their site and the only recent AMD laptops I found all seem to have dGPUs.

Is that correct? If so, does that make yours an apples vs. oranges comparison?

Here's a selection of battery life from their gaming laptop reviews:
LaptopBattery life test result (hours and minutes)
Acer Predator Helios 184:53
MSI Vector 166:!3
Alienware x16 R26:32
HP Omen 164:08

Sometimes, context is everything.

Go back 24 months though and you have the AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS powered Asus G14 with a AMD Radeon RX 6800S pulling over 10 hours,
8c36DZDogZXuxV3c29KtUQ-1200-80.png

In August of last year a system recommended by TH as a "budget gaming" laptop, the Acer Nitro 16, with a AMD Ryzen 5 7640HS and Nvidia GeForce RTX 4050 gets 8:24.
zRNreZmy4DJc9L7HZz2E6U-1200-80.png

And who could forget 2020's standout star, the 4900HS powered ASUS G14 with an RTX 2060 was well over 11 hours.

AaQxYHX2riMYq87mbQh2Lo-1200-80.png

And let's not forget the Lenovo Slim 7 with the AMD 4800U, with no dGPU, from 2020 that got a whopping 17:31 hours of battery life.

FSzktyVe5rUPfCu88Fvjp5-1200-80.png

apiltch

Editor-in-Chief
Editor
Sep 15, 2014
Go back 24 months though and you have the AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS powered Asus G14 with a AMD Radeon RX 6800S pulling over 10 hours,

In August of last year a system recommended by TH as a "budget gaming" laptop, the Acer Nitro 16, with a AMD Ryzen 5 7640HS and Nvidia GeForce RTX 4050 gets 8:24.

And who could forget 2020's standout star, the 4900HS powered ASUS G14 with an RTX 2060 was well over 11 hours.

And let's not forget the Lenovo Slim 7 with the AMD 4800U, with no dGPU, from 2020 that got a whopping 17:31 hours of battery life.

Yes, as I said there have been historical laptops that we tested prior to the last 12 months that got longer and you have found a couple. I have added two to the article. We don't have some anti-AMD conspiracy going on here. We love AMD. I'm typing this to you on my Ryzen desktop.

Unlike with CPUs and GPUs, we can't easily get our hands on every laptop that comes out. We rely on our relationships with the vendors to send us review units and, after we've had them a few weeks, they go back and we usually don't get to retest them. So we simply haven't gotten as many AMD-powered laptops sent to us, particularly in the lightweight / long battery life category that the Copilot+ PCs play in.. This doesn't meant that they don't exist or we don't like them.

The point of this article was not to say that Intel is better than AMD, but to compare x86 laptops to Snapdragon. Most of the x86 laptops we've tested over the last year that got strong battery life were Intel models. I think it says more about the market and what vendors were willing to sample us than it does about AMD.

Intel has 75 percent of the laptop market, according to this study (https://www.statista.com/statistics/735904/worldwide-x86-intel-amd-market-share/). That may not be fair and AMD is certainly getting more design wins, deservedly so.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, as I said there have been historical laptops that we tested prior to the last 12 months that got longer and you have found a couple. I have added two to the article.
I'm having difficulty finding those reviews. The "Asus Zenbook 14 OLED (UM3404Y)" that I can find doesn't seem to match that model code. I found UM3402Y that has the Ryzen 7730U and 75 Wh battery, but not reviewed here or LaptopMag (or I'm just not seeing it).

Anyway, maybe I'm a little slow, but I think I picked up on a key detail. It seems the OLED models are at a disadvantage in runtime. If we divide their battery capacity by their runtime (in hours), we get the average power dissipation, which is pretty comparable among the lot. Furthermore, it paints the lowest performer in a decidedly better light.

Make & ModelCPURuntime (h)Battery (Wh)Avg. Power (W)
MSI Prestige 16 AI EvoCore Ultra 7 155H
13.1​
99.9​
7.65​
Asus Zenbook 14 OLED (UX3405M)Core Ultra 7 155H
12.4​
75.0​
6.07​
Asus Zenbook 14 OLED (UM3404Y)Ryzen 7 7730U
11.2​
75.0​
6.69​
HP Envy x360 2-in-1 (OLED)Ryzen 7 7730U
9.3​
51.0​
5.49​

It would be great to have a non-OLED AMD system in your chart, but I understand you can only test the hardware made available to you.

Last edited:

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020

For me to jump on the Snapdragon PC laptop bandwagon, would basically require a repeat of what happend on the smartphone side

Until and including the Snapdragon 820, everything from the first Galaxy S had me exposed to "battery anxiety": Just using the phone during the day (no antisocial networks, nor audio or video, mostly just browsing and e-mail and actually a bit of phoning) had it drop visibly during an average working day, to a point where I thought I costantly had to manage around the remaining capacity.

That changed with the first 835 based OnePlus 5, which just never got below 70% charge even on a long day no matter what I did with it (except hours of navigation). And since then it's never come back, even with a bit more daily browsing time and today's full sized browsers waging epic battles against ad-servers.

It's always on (although not the screen), instantly usable 24x7 and would last for days of regular use on a single charge.

And it's a very different story on laptops so far. There I still manage the battery charge, which typically involves bringing and even using a charger in a conference. And when I should have forgotten it (it happened more often that I care to admit), it involves hunting around for someone with an extra USB-C, while increasingly all these fruity cult guys don't even bring their incompatible ones to multi-day events.

So I try to gauge and measure my usage, have it go to standby on a lid close and then use the lid to have it switch. On lunch breaks I might even have it suspend to disk and then worry, if that suspend/resume cycle won't actually eat more energy than having it stay in suspend-to-RAM for 30 minutes.

And then, when I wanted to watch a relaxing movie or do some Kindle reading after that long day in the hotel, the power might just run out, unless I bought a new charger at the corner store.

For me the ARM promise isn't top Cinebench figures, even if I'd rather have the laptop beat my OnePlus 5+ (~€230 with VAT for the 32GB version) in terms of performance at 5-10x the price. It's about sipping phone amounts of Wattage at every opportunity to darken most of its silicon. And switching between next to zero to full attention in the time it takes me to operate the lid, while with the lid closed, it should quite simply last the week my mobile phone will last with nothing going on. In short: Power buttons on a phone are serving many purposes these days, but rarely ever to actually turn phones on or off. I want the same for my other personal computer, if it can't just be an extra screen for various corporate and private PC enclaves on my phone (which I'd still prefer).

I've forgotton to shut down my backup phones, which I sync and charge before bringing them along on multi-day trips. Only to discover that they were basically still full while switched on for the week, before I stored them away. And those phones have 16GB of RAM, too, SoC stacked mobile variants and slightly more expensive than an SO-DIMM, but if I need to pay for soldered, I at least want similar power savings.

I don't tend to buy 10 Watt notebooks, e.g. machines with only 2P cores. I go for machines that will support a maximum of 28-45 Watts, because I want the ability to also use them as workstations with plugged-in power. That's why I also tend to be very generous with RAM and SSD storage, so I don't need a separate machine for that on the road. They obviously can't replace the really big iron or even a gamer rig, but for that I got plenty of remote connect if needed.

But on a modern laptop I expect even a 8-12 core machine capable near workstation workloads at 50 Watts to use phone wattage, when nothing is going on. It shouldn't matter how many transistors your SoC has, if you can turn off all you do not need. That's where x86 might have never quite achived what mobile chips managed, but that's exactly where I expect a Snapdragon to deliver.

My Ryzen 5800U allows 28Watt peaks but drops to 15Watts on sustained 8 core loads. It tends last much longer than its Alder Lake competition with an i5-12500H, while both are mostly twiddling thumbs. And when it comes to peak loads, Alder Lake takes a much deeper swipe from the bottle for results that aren't much better.

As with the desktops to me that's indicated a much better general energy efficiency from AMD than Intel, but that says nothing about minimal energy consumption on a desktop idle system that remains ready to be used instantly. And so much of that isn't even dictated by the CPU cores, which should remain stopped for most of the time.

Both have failed me on a full conference day, and I find that very disappointing given the lightness of the actual load I exposed them to, with mostly a bit of note taking and reference-surfing.

Current testing seems to focus on maximum loads or medium constant loads, because those are traditional and 'easiest' to measure. I put the quotes, because I fully understand that measuring in a repeatable and comparable manner as such is becoming an ever greater nightmare.

But with this architecture it's the ability to suck very near zero power for hours if not days or indeed a week, yet 'instantly' deliver near desktop computing power for a couple of seconds and perhaps ordinary notebook power for minutes or a few hours after that, only to go back to catatonic consumption at every opportunity, which has people spend the extra buck.

And at least in my case, it won't be Copilot, nor very likely anything NPU related for the life-time of the device. Because for that stuff, I got big iron and one of the other things that would keep me from buying "Elite" notebooks, is the inability to turn the NPU off in the BIOS and all those "intruvasions" that M$ keeps throwing at what should be treated as sovereign owners of personal computers, not victims of home intrusion and coersion.