Sneak Peek At Gigabyte's Upcoming X99, Z170X Enthusiast Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Questors

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2004
The X99 look good in terms of features and layout, but the shiny plastic is looks tacky and cheap (not inexpensive). It reminds me of toys one will find in a store where everything is a dollar or so. A brushed aluminum or carbon fiber I/O cover is great, though the latter will increase cost. Paying the price for a high end board and receiving a product with plastic accenting just doesn't cut it.

Questors

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2004
I like the metal on the PCIe slots as well. The especially holds true (to me) on a black PCB with other black and chrome-like accents.

Why are you posting the same thing over and over?

voxdan

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
The new feature-sets are solid, but I too really dislike all the shiny plastic and these color schemes. We have started to see a slight trend to more neutral black, grey, silver, aluminum, or white schemes that do not dictate one's theme and I would have liked to have seen that done here.

Questors

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2004

I see what you mean and I have no idea. The only thing I have done since initial post is a reply to another, like this.

Thomas Yiu

Distinguished
May 9, 2013
It looks like a copy of a ASUS ROG Rampage V Extreme.
Also, I think there may be issue with putting a very large GPU on first slot because of the M.2 for GA-X99-Designare EX.

I personally wish Gigabyte would stop making their SATA ports at a right angle to their mother boards. It's so much easier to push down a cable onto a top-mounted port than it is to push a cable "across" the bottom of your case. This is especially true for small mini-ITX cases, where you usually have little room in "front" of those SATA ports.

Sadly, these new boards all seem to have that angled connector block.

Ro-Tang Clan

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
Disappointing they didn't include G1/4inch threads on the heatsinks for the X99 boards. Apart from the USB 3.1 and U.2 connectivity, what does these boards have to offer that my current Asus X99 Pro doesn't? Please Gigabyte, design a black and silver X99 board with G1/4inch threads, that would actually be worth my money.

Status
Not open for further replies.