Snow Leopard Shipping August 28

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinless

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Surely you missed the follow up article (and update) saying all the ship dates were changed to say "September"

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/08/20/apples-uk-online-store-lists-august-28th-ship-date-for-snow-leopard-up-to-date-program/

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Ah. Damn. Was hoping it would come out next Friday. Microsoft could learn a thing or two (or fifty) from Apple on how to price software. Wish Windows 7 would go ahead and launch while we are at it. Been using the release candidate for a long while now but would like to get a hold of a nice disc.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
another OS update that kills all the machines that are PPC based...pass I was bitten (and infected) by the apple bug once... never again after the 10.5 release slowed my Dual Processor (not just dual core) 1.0ghz 3GB ram machine to Pentium 3 performance.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
The picture has a line that says it includes the world's most advanced operating system. Is this copy of Windows 7 (or maybe it's a Linux distro) in ADDITION to the OS X 10.6 that is in the box?

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
All I care about is if/when QuickTime X will be out for Windows. Hopefully they improved performance and provided a more complete version of H.264

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Perhaps you should change the headline of the article or remove the article completely after you find out the story is inaccurate rather than just put a little update stating the whole point of the article was pointless. Perhaps.

heffeque

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
@tsiberious: I'd hardly call that a service pack taking into consideration that there are serious 64bit kernel changes and they're adding OpenCL and Grand Central Dispatch. Unless you call Windows 7 a service pack for Windows Vista that is.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
@tsiberious

It's not a service pack. It rewrites large portions of leopard code. It doesn't add a lot of new features, but makes the entire OS much more streamlined, reduces the size of core apps to mere KB's, and introduces OpenCL, changes all of the core apps to 64 bit, has Grand Central Dispatch, which makes the entire OS multithreaded, and allows multithreaded apps to be written extremely easily for the OS

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
@ xaira

$30 for a new OS, is that to much for you?

*sigh* this post will probably be voted down, simply because i support apple. Gotta love me and heffeque getting negatives for saying nothing but facts about the OS

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
@Antilycus "the 10.5 release slowed my Dual Processor"
You may have a point but I think stretched the truth, just a little huh, Leopard was bloated and in my opinion and was Apples "Vista" release. You should have stayed with Tiger. As for the PPC users keep Tiger and quit whining, the moved to intel going on 4 years now. If you want to move to full 64 bit goodness, buy a new machine.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]@ xaira $30 for a new OS, is that to much for you?*sigh* this post will probably be voted down, simply because i support apple. Gotta love me and heffeque getting negatives for saying nothing but facts about the OS[/citation]

I'm pretty sure the reason your getting negatives isn't because you two support Apple. Far from it actually. I think its more because we don't like the fact that their business model effectively says "Lure them in with a cheap OS(to make MSFT look greedy. Nice move though :p) and stab them in the back with our "Apple Tax". Which just pisses people off TBH.

Either way. Give MSFT big $ up front, or pay Apple big $ down the road...

EACH company put a dent in your wallet... So stop the whining, and belly-aching.

Or go get Linux :p

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Forgot to add to the reasons for your negatives :/

Also, on top of everything Apple does, you come in, APPEARING to be preaching about $30 vs $200 or $300, or whatever the case may be. The Apple Tax MORE than CLEARS anything MSFT makes from an equal volume of sales of their product.

But i'll continue to use my PC, and hope Apple continues to stay around, pissing people off, from the Apple Tax, to the superiority complex all their users seem to have.

Not for their product. Which i don't like. But for the competition.

Boy do i love a good street brawl :p

I don't know about the specifics of this release, but I've seen several of the releases that Apple has done before, and some of them certainly didn't seem to be any more than a service pack. Look at how much MS changed between XP SP0 and SP2 for example, and then look at the change between various versions of OSX. Even my friend who wouldn't dream of using anything but apple acknowledges that they should release more free updates and fewer OS version changes that you have to pay for.

That having been said, at least the price isn't all that painful...

xchrissypoox

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Who cares if they release a new OS (or whatever snow leopard is), you can't run it on any good hardware, iMacs suck at their price point(at $1200 you can build an i7 with a gtx 260 or higher or a 4800 card graphics) and Mac Pros are workstations which most people don't need. Where is the low end computer for people who just do work? were is the gaming computer? were is the Mac Pro with high end video cards? Linux and Windows (even vista) are great operating systems, I don't know or care if os x is good because there is nothing I want to run it on that it can be put on (and because I like Ubuntu and Windows anyway).

xchrissypoox

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
[citation][nom]xchrissypoox[/nom]were is the Mac Pro with high end video cards?[/citation] I just saw that they have 4870s now, but its a $200 upgrade plus the cost of the original card it comes with, which is more than they cost normally.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Why do the ignorant folks always come out when there is anything to do with Apple?

Service Pack? Stoopid, misinformed...you probably believe in the Death Panels...watch out...we is gonna get cha!

High Prices? Really? Take exact hardware specs and compare prices...Apple is competitive with the higher priced Win PCs, but everyone likes low cost trash in this country...the Palin mind-set.

Fuck Apple? Wow. Such insight. Is that the extent of your thinking and the limits of your vocabulary. Judging by all of the "+" I am beginning to think that Pooduck Middle School is using TH for their browsers homepage.

pender21

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
OpenCl seems great if developers code apps with it, but I think only CUDA or newer GPUs will support it. This is definitely what OS X needed, better 64-bit support and multicore threading and finally phase out PPC support. OpenCL should be made available for 10.5, but I doubt any PPC rig has a CUDA card that will show a noticeable advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.