Question So how bad is the ghosting/blur on budget VA panels?

question13

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2007
Ive gotten very conflicting opinions on this. Some say that its awful and pretty much unusable, some say you wont notice it unless you are a competitive gamer or something like that.

Im trying to choose between two options at the budget price point, either a 165hz VA panel or a 75hz IPS panel. Im leaning towards the latter to avoid any issues with ghosting/blur.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You're going to get varying opinions on it because you're taking many different VA panels at many different budgets, used in many different games by many different people, all with different eyesight and different priorities.

It's like asking if cheese is good. There are going to be a lot of different answers.

Videos are nice, but the best way to test, better even than watching videos, is to either get access to a VA monitor you're interested in purchasing or buying a VA monitor from a place with an excellent return policy and testing it yourself.

question13

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2007
What is your budget exactly?
Are we assuming USA?
Singapore, and budget is sub $200.

To be more precise, the panels i was looking at were the Acer EI242QR P which has a VA panel : https://dynacoretech.com/parts-and-...curved-gaming-monitor-with-165hz-refresh-rate

Or an older IPS 75 hz panel such as the LG 24MP400 which will be slightly cheaper at about $150.

Edit : I was going to buy the LG 24MP400 but i was told the store would not handle any exchanges if there were dead pixels, etc, and I would have to deal with LG directly. Does anyone have any experience with LG warranty?

Last edited:
My personal opinion is to steer clear of VA panels in the ultra budget range.

But I may be slightly biased by an issue my brother is currently going through with his Asus VG27WQ. Long story short, movement in certain environments of games causes the screen to visibly dim. We're not certain it's due to pixel response time, but it's a dealbreaker issue. He's tested it on a 3060Ti and RX480 and multiple cables producing the same issue. Had it to Asus twice for RMA and they sent the unit back to him saying it was working fine despite videos he's provided. Probably more of an issue with Asus' RMA department than anything. To be fair, Asus was very transparent about the specific testing they were doing along the way, reaching out to my brother multiple times to try to replicate his issue.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Ive gotten very conflicting opinions on this. Some say that its awful and pretty much unusable, some say you wont notice it unless you are a competitive gamer or something like that.

Im trying to choose between two options at the budget price point, either a 165hz VA panel or a 75hz IPS panel. Im leaning towards the latter to avoid any issues with ghosting/blur.
I hate VA panels, IPS panels are better and I cannot go back to VA panels, but 75 Hz is too low for a FPS, you will have a great disadvantage if you are playing multiplayer FPS.
120 or 144 Hz IPS monitor would be costly but better than these both alternatives.