Question So I bought a graphics card my motherboard doesn't support. Need some help figuring out my options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2020
So I currently have a HP, H8-1020 with an i72600s @2.8GHz, with a 500w power supply.

I just bought myself a brand new rtx2060 KO. When installed I hear one beep, a pause and then many many fast beeps.

My motherboard wont support it from what my research has shown. Also, it doesn't post when its installed so there is that.

I'm wondering, what I should do here? I don't really have the cash for a full system build, so what i'm wondering is if there is a motherboard i can get that supports my processor and the 2060 or am I stuck doing a full new PC?

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I doubt you could get a new motherboard for it, you'd likely be looking at (over)paying for a used one. Not an investment I'd recommend.

Can you return the 2060? Maybe a used GTX 1070 would do the trick. What was your previous video card?

Your PC only has a 300w power supply, standard. The rtx2060 KO requires at least a 500w power supply. When installing a GPU, you must ensure that the external power is connected to the GPU. This is not available on your current power supply.

The motherboard should support the GPU, as it supports PCIE.

Reactions: GarrettL
Apr 29, 2020
Your PC only has a 300w power supply, standard. The rtx2060 KO requires at least a 500w power supply. When installing a GPU, you must ensure that the external power is connected to the GPU. This is not available on your current power supply.

The motherboard should support the GPU, as it supports PCIE.

I should've mentioned I upgraded to a 500w power supply, im looking for the forum post that mentioned that hp never updated the firmware or something on that particular motherboard.

Apr 29, 2020
I doubt you could get a new motherboard for it, you'd likely be looking at (over)paying for a used one. Not an investment I'd recommend.

Can you return the 2060? Maybe a used GTX 1070 would do the trick. What was your previous video card?
I got the 2060 on amazon, and I am currently using a radeon r9 200 series. I would love to be able to just replace everything but I didn't really budget for having to replace a ton of stuff. It would be amazing to just be able to get it working

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.