[SOLVED] So..i have some problems with my r5 1600x regarding temperatures.

Jun 26, 2020
Idle temps vary between 37-50 and when gaming (usually apex) they rise to 95 in a matter of 2-3 matches (around 30-45 minutes) and then my PC crashes.
I`m using the stock AMD Wraith Max and I recently replaced the stock thermal paste with Arctic Mx-2 .
If it helps i have a Vega 56 GPU and the entire build is a little over one year old.
Help would be appreciated!

Solution
Ok, it sounds properly, but I think that only one outtake fan might be not enough for that amount of air.
Also - cooler blows air on both sides, which gives some hot air to be stuck in case.
I got similar split of fans, but I've decided to get 2 as intake and 3 as outtake, I've also replaced stock Wraith with Mugen 5 and gave airflow one path. Maybe the cooler itself is just too small to handle it propertly? In my opinion, just the wraith itself is the problem (too small to handle cpu properly).

RBuczynski

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
Stock Wraith max should be enough to handle it. What about air flow in case? Is it from front to end, from down to up, or does it only contain gpu and cpu cooler with no forced airflow?
Also, You might have speed fan curve set too quiet (sad to say), to handle things propertly.
Thermal paste is good, cpu isn't too hot in my opinion, so I would bet on airflow (or rather, lack of it) as source of problems.
You might worsened your situation by oc (especially voltage rise), but You will have to tell us about oc. Even first gen R5 1600x shouldn't be that hot, when handled propertly.
In worst case, you will get much cooler cpu by swapping copper on it into something more powerful in terms of airflow.
Last thing - what case do You have?

Jun 26, 2020
Stock Wraith max should be enough to handle it. What about air flow in case? Is it from front to end, from down to up, or does it only contain gpu and cpu cooler with no forced airflow?
Also, You might have speed fan curve set too quiet (sad to say), to handle things propertly.
Thermal paste is good, cpu isn't too hot in my opinion, so I would bet on airflow (or rather, lack of it) as source of problems.
You might worsened your situation by oc (especially voltage rise), but You will have to tell us about oc. Even first gen R5 1600x shouldn't be that hot, when handled propertly.
In worst case, you will get much cooler cpu by swapping copper on it into something more powerful in terms of airflow.
Last thing - what case do You have?
So..I have 4 intake fans (140mm) above and in front and one outtake in the back (140mm), i set the Cpu Fan and Case Fans on turbo wich means they run at 100% speed whenever the cpu reaches 50C (wich is fast).
And the case i use is a Segotep polar light.

Last edited:

RBuczynski

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
Ok, it sounds properly, but I think that only one outtake fan might be not enough for that amount of air.
Also - cooler blows air on both sides, which gives some hot air to be stuck in case.
I got similar split of fans, but I've decided to get 2 as intake and 3 as outtake, I've also replaced stock Wraith with Mugen 5 and gave airflow one path. Maybe the cooler itself is just too small to handle it propertly? In my opinion, just the wraith itself is the problem (too small to handle cpu properly).

Solution
Jun 26, 2020
This problem occurred in the past 2 weeks, i will make the 2 fans above outtake and i will hope it solves the problem
I`ll probably change the cpu fan with a Noctua Nh-d15 in the future, many thanks