Question So the PCIE lock doesn't click. Is that a problem?

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
A while ago I reseated my GPU (I forget why), but the lock doesn't click. From what remember I pushed to see if the card would go any further. It wouldn't so I figured it must be in, just didn't click for whatever reason. It's been like that the better part of a year, maybe more. Any idea, why that was the case. The machine has been unchanged hardware-wise for almost four and a half years now

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Click? There are a couple different latching designs for the PCIe x16 gfx card slot. I've never noticed any of them 'clicking'. But then maybe I'm just deaf. It's probably fine as long as the case isn't moved a lot.
Which motherboard?

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
Click? There are a couple different latching designs for the PCIe x16 gfx card slot. I've never noticed any of them 'clicking'. But then maybe I'm just deaf. It's probably fine as long as the case isn't moved a lot.
Which motherboard?

The MSI Z97 Gaming 7. Just the other slots click when the latch locks, but this one didn't which seemed strange. Just thought about it again yesterday

EDIT: I reseated it again and it clicked. Just needed a bit more force. Now trying to figure out how to slide the Obsidian 750D's front feet back into place, they're sliding out

Last edited:

Kvlt Doom

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Assuming you are referring to the latch at the rear of the PCI-E Express 16 slot on your motherboard, my impression is that you are expecting the latch to "click" the same way the DIMM slots for RAM do when you fully seat them, is that correct?

It's not quite the same type of latch as those on the RAM slots, which do make a distinct (& quite audible) "CLICK" when properly seated in addition to being able to see that the latches are engaged because they fill the grooves at the end of the RAM sticks.

FWIW, The PCI-E latch hasn't completely filled that little groove/cutout at the end of the connector on my Gigabyte GTX 1050 GPU in either my current mobo or the previous one. I can't recall if the GTX 750Ti I had before did either, but I want to say that it did not.

For clarification, this is what you are referring to, correct? If so, I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you feel it seat & you secure it to the case with screws, you're good.
Z170-Extreme4-PCI-Express-01.jpg

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
Assuming you are referring to the latch at the rear of the PCI-E Express 16 slot on your motherboard, my impression is that you are expecting the latch to "click" the same way the DIMM slots for RAM do when you fully seat them, is that correct?

It's not quite the same type of latch as those on the RAM slots, which do make a distinct (& quite audible) "CLICK" when properly seated in addition to being able to see that the latches are engaged because they fill the grooves at the end of the RAM sticks.

FWIW, The PCI-E latch hasn't completely filled that little groove/cutout at the end of the connector on my Gigabyte GTX 1050 GPU in either my current mobo or the previous one. I can't recall if the GTX 750Ti I had before did either, but I want to say that it did not.

For clarification, this is what you are referring to, correct? If so, I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you feel it seat & you secure it to the case with screws, you're good.
Z170-Extreme4-PCI-Express-01.jpg

That's exactly the part I'm talking about. Reseated my card again this morning and saw the lock physically move into place. I heard it make the click, just it sounds different and is harder to hear when there's a card in there. So that's all good.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The MSI Z97 Gaming 7. Just the other slots click when the latch locks, but this one didn't which seemed strange. Just thought about it again yesterday

EDIT: I reseated it again and it clicked. Just needed a bit more force. Now trying to figure out how to slide the Obsidian 750D's front feet back into place, they're sliding out
Yeah, that design flips up to latch. So I guess if one listens closely, one would hear a sound as it latches. Can't help you with the feet. Maybe posting a pic would help.

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
That's an unusual design. Maybe pull it all the way out and put a drop of adhesive on it before sliding it back in. Then give the adhesive time to dry before moving the case around again.

Corsair said to do the same. I do wonder why they didn't make the front fee like the back feet. The back ones are completely surrounded by a ridge so they can't go anywhere. The whole rear assembly is more solidly put together too