So what does it mean to get an C0 Stepping instead of D0?

X-Nemesis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
I'm going to be ordering an i7 system and have been reading about the whole D0 stepping from newer chips. Since I cannot guarantee in Canada a D0 stepping chip anywhere except for NCIX and they're about $60 more for that, what does it mean if I end up getting a C0 chip instead?

That I won't be able to OC above 4ghz on air? If I'm only concerned about doing a mild overclock say 3.2-3.6 then will a C0 do just fine?

Fortunex

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
The D0 usually overclocks farther and stays cooler than the C0 chips. Of course, there are those people who get lucky with their C0s and get great OCing out of them.

topper743

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
If you are worried wait a couple of weeks till the inventory can turn over and also make a call to the vendor and ask about the specs of the cpu you want to order.

X-Nemesis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Fortunately I'm never in a rush to make large purchases like this so I can certainly wait. I tried calling direct canada today but they basically told me they can't check stock like that. Would have to try a smaller mom&pop store.

It certainly sounds like the D0, performance wise, is a better choice to wait on...cooler and higher oc's? that sounds good.

rgsaunders

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
What is your location? If you are within a reasonable distance of one of the Canada Computer stores in Ontario, they will normally let you check their stock for a specific stepping if you are in the store, but possibly won't do it over the the phone.

X-Nemesis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Actually I'm in Kitchener so just a stones throw away from the Waterloo location. Now just so I got this covered...what are the indicators for a D0 stepping 920? (what should I look for)

kbits

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
X-Nemesis, I'm in the same boat as you. If you buy it from Newegg.ca, you might get a D0. We did a three weeks ago and got one.

Newegg doesn't have a warehouse yet in Canada, so shipping is done via USA warehouses, which are more likely to have sell all thier C0.

The price is good too.

X-Nemesis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Yeah KBits...I'm going to go to Canada Computers today and take a look myself...but Direct Canada has the best price in Canada atm for $355...but again, no way of knowing if it's D or C.

xiv88

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
companys like scan.co.uk sell both C0 and D0 and you can choose the one you want, the D0 ones are a bit more expensive tho

geort45

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Hi!

This isn't regarding a Core i7 but instead a Xeon... I've just bought a couple of Xeon E5520's (to build a server platform) from two different vendors, one specifically said it had a C0 stepping, the other one is unknown... do you think I could have problems if the other processor turns out to be a different stepping?

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS