So which is better memory?

Siwag

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
So, which one would be a better i7 6700k memory, Corsair Vengeance lpx DDR4 16 GB,CAS15-3000MHZ,OR ,G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4-3000Mhz CAS 15? Or something else?

Solution
The vast majority of RAM is manufactured by three companies - Samsung, SK Hynix (Hyundai Electronics), and Micron (Crucial). The 4th largest (Elpida) was bought by Micron in 2013.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/271726/global-market-share-held-by-dram-chip-vendors-since-2010/

So aside from Crucial (which is Micron's retail brand) there's really no difference between the different "name brand" memory other than warranty service. Almost all the "name brands" simply buy the memory modules from one of these three companies, installs it onto a PCB, sticks a fancy heatsink onto it, and sells it to you under their brand.

Since nearly all of them provide a lifetime guarantee, just buy whatever brand offers the timings and latencies you...
I assume we talking 2 x 8GB

Unless you are into overclocking, "what's better DDR4-3000 CAS 15 or DDR4-3000 CAS 15" depends om:

Which specific modules are used
Which has better secondary timings
Which requires lower voltage
Whose heat sinks and logo you find aesthetically more attractive

Corsair has timings of 15-17-17-35 @ 1.35v
GSkill has timings of 15-16-16-35 @ 1.35v

The GSkill's have an edge here for the lower timings

Not to say you couldn't adjust both to do better

In 25 years of building PC's we never have had an issue with Corsair RAM (other than the rare memtest fail), nor noticed or even ever heard of them being notorious for anything. Tho we recommend planning at the initial build stage so as to avoid ever having to add RM to a box, we have observed that GSkill has a bit more trouble "playing well with others". All vendors by the chips from the same sources so it's not that any have a technology advantage.

Timings and cost are affected by model lines as each vendor tries to place products in various price niches. Timings are conservatively set based upon the amount that are expected to pass testing. For example, this set from Patriot has better "tested" timings than GSkill and yet the "base timings" of 15-15-15-36 are substantially better than the "tested timings" of 16-16-16-36. So when looking at timings, it's important to know which is being compared.

When asked yo upgrade a user's box that had 2 sticks of Corsairs, we couldn't find any with matching speed / timings other than a Gskill product. Had another box here, cobbled together from old parts, under powered as far as RAM, w/ Muskin Redlines so bought two sets.

Adding the Gskills to box w/ Corsairs was a fail
Adding the Gskills to box w/ Redlines was a fail

So what I did was, I put the 4 Gskills in the users box and that worked (req'd a voltage bump to be stable w/ 4 sticks) and returned it to him w/ twice the RAM. On a lark a few days later, I added the Corsairs to the Redlines ... booted 1st try no voltage boost.

The other thing to be aware of is that vendors change sources all the time. In a new RAM product's early years, they may source modules from a hi end supplier and then, as yields improve on lower quality suppliers, switch to a lower cost module. We saw Corsair and GSkill to this with the higher speed DDR products

The vast majority of RAM is manufactured by three companies - Samsung, SK Hynix (Hyundai Electronics), and Micron (Crucial). The 4th largest (Elpida) was bought by Micron in 2013.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/271726/global-market-share-held-by-dram-chip-vendors-since-2010/

So aside from Crucial (which is Micron's retail brand) there's really no difference between the different "name brand" memory other than warranty service. Almost all the "name brands" simply buy the memory modules from one of these three companies, installs it onto a PCB, sticks a fancy heatsink onto it, and sells it to you under their brand.

Since nearly all of them provide a lifetime guarantee, just buy whatever brand offers the timings and latencies you want at the best price. I wouldn't fret about minor differences in timing either. Aside from certain memory-intensive scientific applications (e.g. cracking encryption), it makes no practical speed difference in real-world tasks.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/memory-timings-affect-real-world-computer-performance/
https://techbuyersguru.com/gaming-ddr4-memory-2133-vs-26663200mhz-8gb-vs-16gb?page=4

Solution