sockot7 upgrade

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
i have a older socket7 mobo and have read in a few of the postings in here that you can get a newer socket7 processor that supports a faster clock speed that the original one. at present my board supports multiplier settings of 1.5 - 3.0 and a bus speed of 50 - 83 mhz. anybody know of something that will work?

G

give Evergreen Technologies a look.

"why buy when you can register?"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Any K6-2 of 350MHz or higher will go to 6x bus speed when set to the 2x multiplier. That would be 400@66MHz bus when the board says 133 (2x66MHZ FSB), 450@75MHz bus when the board says 150 (2x75fsb), and 500 when the board says 166 (2x83MHZ fsb). You will need to set your processor type to P55C, and the voltage level will be a little high, but it works. Otherwise, go to www.evertec.com and get the same processors with resistors and such added.

Suicide is painless...........

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>>>Otherwise, go to www.evertec.com
No! they selling paint, not computers!

All i can offer you is the truth. Nothing more.

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
thats what i thought. i went to the evertec.com site and was wondering why you would send me to an anti-corrosive chemicals website

G

dont know what mobo your using or what op system, if you are using win 95 you need a fix to get it to boot from 300mhz up or you will just get a blank screen.you might also have a bios problem getting it to identify the new cpu, if you go the evergreen route you might as well buy a cheap mobo(pc chips? or jet etc) and a k6-2+ 500 and save a few bucks,plus it will give you more options if you want to upgrade graphics etc.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The AMD update for Win95 is available on AMD's website. Load that first, then put in the K6-2, set the voltage to 2.2v if available or P55C (2.8v) if 2.2 is not available. Set the multiplier to 2x, and you get 6x whatever the bus speed is set at.

Suicide is painless...........