SOE: The Old Republic Helped Kill SWG

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcnighthawk

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
They should count their blessings they lasted this long. The plug should've been pulled after they released the NGE. You dug your own hole, SOE. I'm glad to see your finally going.

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I can't get excited about The Old Republic. More of the same MMO grinding/push a button to use a skill gameplay, with some story stuff sprinkled on top? That's just not enough.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]halls[/nom]I can't get excited about The Old Republic. More of the same MMO grinding/push a button to use a skill gameplay, with some story stuff sprinkled on top? That's just not enough.[/citation]
Maybe you should open your own company and create the next killer game title, seeing as it's so easy.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Correction - I forgot Star Wars has Wookie bowcasters... maybe it's already too late for ToR?

In any case, it's all about the spaceship stuff for me. I could care less about another Star Wars MMORPG with Tanks/Healers/DPS. I want epic space battles with customizable ships or I'm not touching it.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
The Old Republic also helped kill the KOTOR franchise. Bioware tries to say that TOR is going to be unique and not just another WoW clone, and that it will have the depth of a single-player game. But everything I've seen says otherwise. It looks like WoW with lasers. Maybe they'll surprise me like they did with Dragon Age: Origins.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Maybe you should open your own company and create the next killer game title, seeing as it's so easy.[/citation]
It should be when you have hundreds of millions in investment. I bet I could come up with something better.

dawolf74

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
@netherscourge

AGREED, the thing that makes space different from terrestrial games is SPACE. Why can't developers get it in their head that advanced tech MMOs are the same as magic if you can't freaking do the things generally held to tech cannon as opposed to magic cannon, which is travel in space and have space battles.

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]It should be when you have hundreds of millions in investment. I bet I could come up with something better.[/citation]

Clearly you have no idea what goes into creating a video game.

G

I may or may not be testing the game as of now. I highly recommend you try it out, don't go solely by what Bioware has released. If you look at the combat or ui, yeah, it's a lot like any other MMO. The thing plays like a single player game though for the most part, the story is massive and really sucks you in, different for every class. Space combat isn't that big of a deal, basically Starfox 64 style minigame. As for the NDA I clearly just broke, I had to get that off my chest. It's a great game, you HAVE to try it.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
LOL.. Look you can't always recreate the wheel.. Sometimes you simply have to make it better and that's what games try to do. If you break everything thing down you can say the same about any genre.

O look another race game most be a clone of something because it has tracks and cars.. O wait it has motorcycles now, so it's still the same.

O look another fps game woo hoo clone of wolfenstien run around and shoot..

And I could go on and on.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]The Old Republic also helped kill the KOTOR franchise. [/citation]

Actually Obsidian did a fine job killing that franchise.

And about TOR killing SWG. I think the only people who didn't know that this was going to happen were the poor saps still playing that crappy MMO.

G

SOE has no one to blame but themselves for the decline of SWG. When first released it had, hands down the finest crafting system ever developed for an mmo at that time.

Yes it was complicated, but it truly worked. I loved gathering and crafting the best items in the game that I could.

I dealt with the CU, griped but moved on. However when the NGE came out, I moved over to WOW and stayed there until just this past May.

I am waiting for SWTOR and it looks pretty darn good. Yes they have a lot of similar features to Wow, but its being implemented in a good way. And there is plenty of innovation as well.

SOE killed Planet Side with a horrible expansion too. Unless they have learned their lessons from both SWG and Planetside, its unlikely I will ever touch another SOE online game again.

G

I agree original release it was a great crafting system, and the customizable character looks and skills had no rival. CU was livable but not as fun. After NGE no point in playing.

My analogy is CU dug the grave, NGE built the coffin, put SWG in it, nailed it shut, dumped it in the ground, and buried it. SWTOR just threw some flowers on the grave site.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
TOR is the expact opposite of SWG. Linear gameplay, linear worlds, rail shooter space combat, and all it is is just combat combat combat. There's no player-fed economy other than the auction house. There's no rowdy cantinas where you watch other players dance for you so you can get a buff. There are no lines in major cities to wait for spices. There's no tempting 'overt' characters who could be jumped at any time. There are no player cities, fields of extractors, live-in houses, fishing... It's a combat MMO with a crappy space combat... Just what everyone wants. And it breaks my heart.

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
[citation][nom]roblaw80[/nom]No t didn't.... SOE totally hosed it with the combat upgrade and the NGE. They killed it themselves.[/citation]

SOE cant do anything to that game without Lucastarts approval.. The CU and the NGE was not SOE's idea. If anything, since the NGE, SOE has vastly improved the game. Most of what was lost to the NGE (ie: player bounties, player bases, tab targeting, skill system) made returns in the following months, and added tons of content to boot..

SWG is a true sandbox MMO. A game that allowed the players to change the landscape with player housing and player cities. A game where no two servers were alike.

TOR will consume SWG, not replace it.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Maybe you should open your own company and create the next killer game title, seeing as it's so easy.[/citation]
actually it would be easy to make a new game model. we abide by the old standard that was put in place back when dial up was the norm for no reason but we know it works.

if i got the funding, i could make an mmo, new, fresh, and a finite 5 year plan. as in i have a plan, to make the mmo last 5 years, and after 5 years i wipe my hands of it, because its over, the story i want to tell and have people experience is told, and played.

i would never get the funding necessary
i would never get the team talented enough to pull it off
and i would never get a publisher to ok it because its such a drastic turn from the money in the banks they have been putting out so far.

I'd love to see a MechWarrior MMO, you got a good story line, factions. You could customize your mechs. Get contracts for money, pvp action fighting in arenas. You have big events like the attack of the clans. I think it would be a blast. To bad MS killed off MW buy buying it. Bring back MechWarrior!

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]mchuf[/nom]Actually Obsidian did a fine job killing that franchise.And about TOR killing SWG. I think the only people who didn't know that this was going to happen were the poor saps still playing that crappy MMO.[/citation]
Besides the ending, I liked KOTOR2. I liked the shades of gray that it brought to the black and white concept of light and dark sides of the force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS