[SOLVED] Software activation

Springwood1

Commendable
Dec 12, 2019
On my laptop, have just moved from a licenced windows 7 home premium to Windows 10, Home. Did this by using the microsoft download tool to create the installation media. All went successfully. Upon logon, it shows the message 'activate windows - go to settings to activate windows' on the desktop. Am I to key in the product key associated with my windows 7 instal or just wait for microsoft to do the activation? Not sure..

Solution
I'm fairly certain I chose custom. It recommended I back up data (which I did) and it said the win 7 system will be placed in a folder called windows.old It also show me the two partitions on the drive, the reserved sector and the main one. The main (larger sector) was highlighted so just clicked next
That was an Upgrade. Win 7 going into a space called Windows.old is normal.

It should activate itself. But you can apply your existing license key, and that will also work.

USAFRet

Titan
On my laptop, have just moved from a licenced windows 7 home premium to Windows 10, Home. Did this by using the microsoft download tool to create the installation media. All went successfully. Upon logon, it shows the message 'activate windows - go to settings to activate windows' on the desktop. Am I to key in the product key associated with my windows 7 instal or just wait for microsoft to do the activation? Not sure..
You did a clean install of Win 10, or an in place upgrade from the existing Win 7?

If a clean install...yes, enter your Win 7 license key.

Springwood1

Commendable
Dec 12, 2019
Windows 7 Home Premium was resident on the laptop. Using my pc, I used the microsoft create installation media to put the files onto a USB pen drive. This was then used to instal windows 10 home onto the laptop. Is that classed as a clean instal or upgrade instal??

USAFRet

Titan
A "Custom" would have had you delete all existing partitions, and continue with a blank drive.
Resulting in a bare OS.
This will need you to enter the license key from your WIn 7.

Upgrade would have just overwritten the Win 7 with the Win 10.
In this case, the activation servers will eventually catch up and Activate your install.

Springwood1

Commendable
Dec 12, 2019
I'm fairly certain I chose custom. It recommended I back up data (which I did) and it said the win 7 system will be placed in a folder called windows.old It also show me the two partitions on the drive, the reserved sector and the main one. The main (larger sector) was highlighted so just clicked next

USAFRet

Titan
That was an Upgrade. Win 7 going into a space called Windows.old is normal.

It should activate itself. But you can apply your existing license key, and that will also work.

Solution