[SOLVED] Software to backup files and folders names

ar_0

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
Hello,
I'm looking for a software that saves (or backs up or creates an image of) the names of the entire contents (files and folders) in a hard drive or a folder without actually backing up the data itself. I just want the names and structure so that if I lose the data, I can go back to the software and check what was lost without using much space.
Does such a software exist?

Solution
I've been using Gentibus CD for a few years now for discs and external HDDs. It's dated, but does what you are asking with an Explorer-like view.

It can optionally save thumbnails of images, part of text files, etc to the database if you want.

ar_0

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
Why would you not back up the actual data?
Knowing what and where it used to be is of no use if it is actually 'gone'.
True. I have a small backup server that backs up important files. Some other files that are large in size I can just download if I lost such as MS Office and the Adobe products. I'd rather not back these up since my storage space is limited. In addition, some programs in the Program Files folder are obsolete, but I find them quite useful from time to time. If my drive is damaged, I might not be able to install these programs anymore, but going through my folders I could remember what I used and use that to find an alternative.

Yes. This is what I meant, except that I'd prefer an interface that mimics Windows Explorer so that I can double click a folder and it'll take me to the subfolders and files instead of listing everything. Is there a software that would do that?
You can use file-compare application like WinImage to compare two versions of that file, and jump between differences. Of course, you'll see also changed files (date and/or file size).

Another option: Use RoboCopy in simulation mode "/L" against an actual backup, with logging of results.

Reactions: ar_0

gardenman

Splendid
I've been using Gentibus CD for a few years now for discs and external HDDs. It's dated, but does what you are asking with an Explorer-like view.

It can optionally save thumbnails of images, part of text files, etc to the database if you want.

Reactions: ar_0
Solution

ar_0

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015

This sounds great. I'll look into it. Thanks.

ar_0

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't get to try this until today. This is exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you so much!

Reactions: gardenman