Question Solar Panel for Wireless Internet Access Repeater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
I have a shed about 25m down the bottom of the garden.

We don't get WiFi down there.

I wonder if there's a way to use a solar panel that could power some sort of wireless repeater from the house?

I don't have a clue where to begin so would fully appreciate any thoughts on this.

I know getting power down there would be better but that's not quite possible at the moment.

Not sure you need it: "A general rule of thumb in home networking says that Wi-Fi routers operating on the traditional 2.4 GHz band reach up to 150 feet (46 m) indoors and 300 feet (92 m) outdoors. Older 802.11a routers that ran on 5 GHz bands reached approximately one-third of these distances. " From Range

You might want to explore why you are having a problem receiving at that range.

Assuming you just want WiFi down there there are quite a number of considerations.

Solar panels don't supply a constant voltage so you'll need a battery and some way to regulate the voltage coming out of the battery. Deep cycle lead acid batteries are best for this kind of storage. You'll also need to consider the operating conditions, e.g. the weather. If you get a lot of freezing weather you'll need some way to protect the battery from freezing and this could affect your voltage regulation also. Your solar panel mounting needs to consider the position of the sun throughout the day in regards to your panel. It also needs line of sight clearance to the sun.

All in all, it will probably be cheaper to run electricity to the shed.

Reactions: Oasis Curator

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
Hmm.
Thanks for your input. The router is probably about 40m / 50m from the shed but doesn't reach.

Reaches most of the house but it's behind my TV. Literally no other place it can go that would boost it further. Used to have it on a windowsill behind the TV (but it was raised so above the TV) but made no difference.

Internet company will just say the walls are too thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS