[SOLVED] Solid hardware low performance. I9 2080S

Jun 28, 2021
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K - 96.1%

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080S (Super) - 139.7%

SSD: Samsung 970 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 265.9%

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB (2017) - 82.5%

RAM: G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3200 C16 4x8GB - 72.7%

MBD: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER

i'm not sure what is going on. if someone with more experience than i have could shed some light on this for me, i would greatly appreciate it. i drop serious frames in fortnite, had to lower in game settings way down in RDR2 so that it wouldn't look choppy when riding horses. Basically it seems like no matter what i am playing, the game is affected in one way or another. temps stay solid. gpu nevoer goes above 140F and cpu stays around the same. gpu is not water cooled but cpu is cooled w/ 360mm kraken x72. i don't know where my performance issue is coming from. any help is appreciated! thanks so much! also in fortnite i can't get FPS to go above about 160. i would think with this hardware i should easily be hitting at least 200 FPS.

PS. i took screenshots on user benchmark if anyone would like to see them. not sure if that is any extra help or not.

Solution
Dual channel should work with four slots. Try increasing the RAM voltage by .05 volts, might just need a little more power to run all four sticks.

But not having it enabled is certainly going to slow down the system compared to people that do run that speed.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K - 96.1%

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080S (Super) - 139.7%

SSD: Samsung 970 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 265.9%

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB (2017) - 82.5%

MBD: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER

i'm not sure what is going on. if someone with more experience than i have could shed some light on this for me, i would greatly appreciate it. i drop serious frames in fortnite, had to lower in game settings way down in RDR2 so that it wouldn't look choppy when riding horses. Basically it seems like no matter what i am playing, the game is affected in one way or another. temps stay solid. gpu nevoer goes above 140F and cpu stays around the same. gpu is not water cooled but cpu is cooled w/ 360mm kraken x72. i don't know where my performance issue is coming from. any help is appreciated! thanks so much! also in fortnite i can't get FPS to go above about 160. i would think with this hardware i should easily be hitting at least 200 FPS.

PS. i took screenshots on user benchmark if anyone would like to see them. not sure if that is any extra help or not.
A screenshot don't help much post a link to the results.

Jun 28, 2021
This doesn't look right.

Are you perhaps not running XMP?

Better to just provide the userbenchmark link, even though it isn't super useful, it does find the large problems.
I tried enabling xmp but it was screwy. Comp. Would crash. I think when i looked into it it had something to do with dual chanel and me utilizing all 4 slots?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Dual channel should work with four slots. Try increasing the RAM voltage by .05 volts, might just need a little more power to run all four sticks.

But not having it enabled is certainly going to slow down the system compared to people that do run that speed.

Solution
Jun 28, 2021

Pc was unstable again. Looking online it seems like this board may be touchy when it comes to xmp. Is this reakly the basis of all of my issues with frame drop and whatnot?

Jun 28, 2021
Well usually they should, but sometimes they don't play well together. Try and test with two sticks that came in one set.
Ok so remove two of them? How do i know which two are mated w/ one another? I'm pretty sure i have them next to the mating stick but its been a while since i built it so i dont remember. Also does it have to be in any specific configuration or can i just pull any 2 sticks that are next to eachother?

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
Ok so remove two of them? How do i know which two are mated w/ one another? I'm pretty sure i have them next to the mating stick but its been a while since i built it so i dont remember. Also does it have to be in any specific configuration or can i just pull any 2 sticks that are next to eachother?
Check the stickers. They should have a serial number. Two of them should be the same and the other two different that the first pair.

From left being closest to the CPU, to right: you put one stick on slot 2 and the other on slot 4.

Jun 28, 2021
Check the stickers. They should have a serial number. Two of them should be the same and the other two different that the first pair.

From left being closest to the CPU, to right: you put one stick on slot 2 and the other on slot 4.
this is the latest benchmark after removing 2 of the sticks and enabling XMP https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/44280204 it looks like ram % may be slightly worse now if i'm not mistaken.

Jun 28, 2021
No ram was running at 2133mhz as i quoted above so xmp wasn't enabled, if it was is your motherboard faulty or ram is imcompatible. There is a later bios that you seem to have, maybe this will fix ram not getting at rated speeds.
It looks like the ram i have is off by one letter in the part # and it looks like the only difference is ram timing. Compatible ram listed is 16-16-16-36, mine is 18-18-18-38. I didn't think it could cause so much of an issue but i guess it can. Can i manually set the ram timings to what they should be in bios or is that a no, no?

Jun 28, 2021
Sure you can, would like to see if both sets work on their own with xmp enabled. Just to see if the motherboard isn't resetting values to spd in stead of xmp because of some incompatibility.
Oh ok i gotcha. I will try the other two then as well. I was looking them over and each one does have a different serial # but on the left side of the sticker they all have a "94" so I'm assuming that's what is supposed to mean they are compatible with eachother. However since they are off by one digit in the part # in the board compatibility list im assuming that may be the issue.