[solved] Computer Won't Boot - Fans Work but no beep

TikiArts

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
The PCs been working fine for the past 8 months. Recently after a few hours of gaming it will shut off. It doesn't overheat, because it's quite cool.
When i try to turn it on there's no display and no beep from the speaker. The fans spin up and the hdd led works. Everything is plugged in correctly and the PSU seems fine.

Any Advice on how to proceed?

[Solution] Guess who's CPU power connector wasn't plugged in correctly.

tommyt1881

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017
I just fixed a computer that had the same exact symptoms. It had all started when a friend wanted me to transfer the guts of on pc to another. Everything worked fine before I started but when I was done I was in the same boat. First thing I noticed was that the Power button would start it but would not turn it off after pressing it seconds at a time. I didn't think much of it as that is a minute problem compared to the problem at hand so I forgot about it. Down and out because nothing on the internet worked. I narrowed it down to about 3 components that could be the cause. The Motherboard, CPU, or Power supply unit. There are others but i was able to eliminate them. Now back to the power button and why the pc would'n't turn off holding it down. It took me some pondering but I came to a conclusion that this was most likely a power supply problem but that isnt always the likely cause. I got out the voltmeter and started checking the power supply unit. I got to the 8 pin ATX Power connector on the Motherboard and had no power from it. Now I have looked up the symptoms of not connecting that power connector to the MB. This may include, No beep on startup, no video, fans and lights come on but nothing else doesn't. The wire actually had a loose connection at the Power supply. The fix was actually easy. I took that cable off and checked continuity of each wire and I didn't find anything wrong with it. There are a couple fixes, 1 buy a new cable or power supply depending if you can remove it or altering the wire to fit in the plug. ONLY do this if you know what you are doing and experienced. I am not responsible for what you do to your computer. I altered the wire because my friend wanted it up and running ASAP without having to order a part. To do this I cut the end of the plastic connector( the side that is most loose. Both sides may need it.) I took off about the with of a dremel cut disk. this allowed me to get a better connection with the pins. I plugged it back in and noticed it had snugged up quite a bit. Turned it on and it all seemed to work along with the power button now when pressed Turns it off. Sometimes it is finding those minute problems can be all the difference between fixing it or junking it. Check all your connections for looseness, have patience and eliminate items you know for sure have nothing to do with it. Don't give up or get discouraged. There are solutions for this issue

TikiArts

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013

Thanks for the lengthy response. I managed to solve this problem the day it was posted and forgot to update the thread. The CPU power connector was loose if I remember correctly, though this was over 3 years ago ;)