[SOLVED] Graphics card disappears after BIOS upgrade

Prlaba

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2012
I have an Asus P5B-E motherboard. I just flashed the BIOS to v1807 (it was a running a very old version, 0706) and after rebooting, Win7 no longer sees my GeForce 9800GT graphics card. Instead it loads drivers for some low-res generic VGA controller.

If I look in Device Manager I no longer see my graphics card listed; instead under 'Other Devices' I see 'Video Controller (VGA Compatible)' with a little ? In the icon.

I went back into the BIOS to see what settings might have caused this. The only settings that seems even remotely connected are the 'Initiate Graphics Adapter' (PEG/PCI or PCI/PEG) and 'PEG Force x1’ options under the Configure Chipset menu.

I even did a 'Load default settings' but that too made no difference.

I'm not doing anything exotic, no over clocking, etc. My SATA drives are configured as AHCI but that's it.

I then tried restoring the BIOS to the previous version, but EZFlash complained 'Version in ROM file is older then existing board!'. Say what??? I even tried flashing an intermediate version, with the same error message. So it appears I'm now stuck with the 1807 version.

Help! Anyone have any idea why I suddenly can't see my graphics card after flashing my BIOS to the latest version?

Thanks,

[UPDATE]

Clearing CMOS got everything back to normal (eventually).

Prlaba

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2012
As it turned out, I had to clear CMOS to get the BIOS to recognize my video card. Not sure why, but once I did that (and reconfigured all my BIOS settings again), the video card was recognized again in Windows.

Prlaba

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2012
Solved.

I has to clear CMOS to get my graphics card back. Of course, that proved to be a challenge as well; after clearing CMOS I ended up with NO video (I had to switch to a VGA cable to see anything) and had no USB ports (I had to switch to a PS2 port for my keyboard to be recognized).

But after rebooting into the BIOS about a thousand times and getting my BIOS settings right, all my missing hardware reappeared, and when I started Windows my graphics card showed up normally.