Question (Solved)Hard system freezes after 12900k upgrade

Nov 25, 2021
I’ve Recently upgraded to the 12900k and have been having full system locks, no blue screen just full freezes. I’ve uninstalled iCue, reseated ram and tried without XMP as well as constant temperature monitoring and logging. I was looking for any suggestions on what may cause this. I’ve narrowed it down to the psu not being sufficient. It’s a 750w platinum. 12900 paired with a 3080.(ddr4 on a z690 edge)

These locks only occur during heavy load/while gaming. Halo Infinite would just crash the game but games like War Thunder and Siege would fully lock the system. Temperatures are all nominal. The GPU worked fine with my 9900k. Windows is a fresh install. I’ve ensured bios settings are set properly. At this point I’m highly siding with the fact that I’m pushing my 750w psu too much with the 12900/3080 +4m.2’s,4ssd/hdd’s, 9 fans, 3 rgb/fan hubs.

I work building systems 9-5 but I’m still stumped and too exhausted from work after the day to want to troubleshoot more pc stuff. Though I still want to ask, is there any other potential reason I may be encountering these. Maybe something I can try in the meantime whilst a wait for a new psu?

Edit: Turns out it was the ram. Swapped for some basic ram and system freezes have halted.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021
CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-10900KF Processor
RAM: 2xCorsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-3200
Motherboard: Asus Z490-F ROG Strix Gaming
GPU: GeForce Asus GeForce® RTX 3080 10GB TUF
PSU: Corsair RM750 750W 80+ Gold (Modular)

Nov 25, 2021
CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-10900KF Processor
RAM: 2xCorsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-3200
Motherboard: Asus Z490-F ROG Strix Gaming
GPU: GeForce Asus GeForce® RTX 3080 10GB TUF
PSU: Corsair RM750 750W 80+ Gold (Modular)
I’m rocking
CPu: i9 -12900k
RAM:Corsair Vengeance DDR4-4000 (4x8)
Motherboard: MSI Z690 edge
PSU: some corsair 750, cannot remember which model

Nov 25, 2021
Don't be unhappy! That's one of the least expensive components and certainly the least annoying to swap out. Thank the occasionally cruel computing gods that they saw fit to unleash the plague on your RAM and not your GPU.
I’ve already got the rma generated for Corsair, and I’m just using some random dell sticks for now haha! It’s so relieving knowing it’s just the ram.

DSzymborski

Titan
How did u know?

The next sentence. He swapped it out.

That doesn't mean that yours is a similar problem. Different hardware and a very common symptom for a lot of problems. It's a bit like having a cough; 100 people could have a cough with 100 different underlying reasons. That's one of several reasons why we have one thread per one person's problem.

Reactions: Noahlaz
Nov 25, 2021
How did u know?
I initially reseated the cpu and continued having problems. Next I decided to test one stick at a time and continued having freezes. Finally, I swapped out my Corsair ram with some random ram I had in another system and have not encountered any problems since. I’ve got the Corsair ram RMA’d and hopefully won’t have any issues with the next kit

TRENDING THREADS