[SOLVED] Some cores hotter than others

Aug 31, 2019
My laptop has some cores that get a significant amount hotter than the rest. I've tried reapplying thermal paste but the problem persists. The temps on the hotter cores under load are around 90-95C while the other cores are around 75-80C. Thanks in advance.
PC: Acer Nitro 5: i5-8300h version
Cores #0 and #2 are normal temps
Cores #1 and #3 are the hotter ones

Solution
If you applied the thermal paste correctly - a small pea-sized dot in the middle - then the problem lies beneath the IHS, and would be beyond your ability to fix.
Within 10C is Intel's specified temperature variance, so there's definitely something wrong with your situation.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If you applied the thermal paste correctly - a small pea-sized dot in the middle - then the problem lies beneath the IHS, and would be beyond your ability to fix.
Within 10C is Intel's specified temperature variance, so there's definitely something wrong with your situation.

Solution
Aug 31, 2019
So I reapplied again and I realized my last application was definitely less than optimal. I ran some tests again and it seems to be better. When I run Prime95 Cores#0 and #2 are around 60-62C and the other two sit at around 68-70C. When gaming it's l around 70 for the first 2 and 80 for the hotter 2. I assume that's normal? As for the max temps they remain quite far apart (around 15C) but I guess max temps don't really matter because at any particular moment, at least when I'm looking, the temps are within 10C of each other. So I think I'm all good for now. Thanks for the help.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It runs hotter in a game than on Prime95? Are you running P95 for at least 15mins? That's about how long an air cooler needs to 'warm up'.
If after any kind of session, your coolest and hottest cores are 15C apart, that's a problem. A cooling pad may help.

Aug 31, 2019
View: https://imgur.com/iZL3xZ6
: Temps after ~20 minutes in P95.
The difference between Core #1 and 2 are what's bothering me. After actually watching the temps carefully they consistently stay at a difference of 10-14C. As for the temps in gaming, I was under the impression that gaming produces higher cpu temps because of the heat generated by the gpu. And I do currently use a cooling pad. Should I unmark the thread as solved in your opinion? And again thanks for the help.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
View: https://imgur.com/iZL3xZ6
: Temps after ~20 minutes in P95.
The difference between Core #1 and 2 are what's bothering me. After actually watching the temps carefully they consistently stay at a difference of 10-14C. As for the temps in gaming, I was under the impression that gaming produces higher cpu temps because of the heat generated by the gpu. And I do currently use a cooling pad. Should I unmark the thread as solved in your opinion? And again thanks for the help.
Yikes. 14C between the coolest and hottest core.
This is most likely the result of a bad TIM job beneath the cpu. I don't think there's much you can do about it.

I was under the impression that gaming produces higher cpu temps because of the heat generated by the gpu.
The aftermarket 2 and 3-fan model gpus account for some of the cpus temperature(in the single digits), it's nothing too crazy.