[SOLVED] Some games on my PC are running horribly

Apr 21, 2020
Basically, games like Doom Eternal & No Man's Sky are running extremely slow. Most other games work as they should.

Doom Eternal: 20-30 FPS (Sometimes drop below 15)
No Man's Sky: 5-10 FPS

My specs:
GPU: GTX 1060 3gb
CPU: i5 8400
RAM: 8gb
Motherboard: H370 HD3

Note: Yesterday I tried the games out again and for some reason, they worked as they should with a rig like this. 60 fps constant on Doom Eternal, and No Man's Sky solid FPS with a little bit of stuttering at all ULTRA settings. I thought it was because I updated my drivers recently but I shut down my PC and restarted it today and they're running slow like before.

I would highly appreciate help with this matter because I've been researching for weeks but to no avail.

Solution
Case solved.

I downloaded gpu-z and monitored the gpu stats playing games that run fine and that don't run fine. And it seems the Bus Interface was taking a lot of load in games that worked badly. That's when I realized that it was at (PCIe x 16 3.0 @ x1 3.0). Using only 1 out of 16. So I cleaned up the dust and re-seated my GTX 1060. Now it takes 16 out of 16 links. All issues resolved after that. Yay!
I'd first install/run CPU-z/bench/stress CPU for 20 minutes, and, note via HWMonitor (install this too!)
what clock speeds and temps are achieved throughout the 20 minute session...

We are looking for evidence of thermal throttling, which will cause your CPU to downclock itself to as low as 800 MHz, , potentially robbing you of 70-80% of your performance...

(As you only have 8 GB of RAM, I'd turn off every unnecessary cloud storage , miscellaneous app, etc., during your testing; if this is but a single stick of RAM, you are also cutting memory bandwidth in half)

Reactions: KuraiRyuu24
Apr 21, 2020
I'd first install/run CPU-z/bench/stress CPU for 20 minutes, and, note via HWMonitor (install this too!)
what clock speeds and temps are achieved throughout the 20 minute session...

We are looking for evidence of thermal throttling, which will cause your CPU to downclock itself to as low as 800 MHz, , potentially robbing you of 70-80% of your performance...

(As you only have 8 GB of RAM, I'd turn off every unnecessary cloud storage , miscellaneous app, etc., during your testing; if this is but a single stick of RAM, you are also cutting memory bandwidth in half)

Temperature 0 87 degC (188 degF) (Package)
Temperature 1 86 degC (186 degF) (Core #0)
Temperature 2 86 degC (186 degF) (Core #1)
Temperature 3 87 degC (188 degF) (Core #2)
Temperature 4 87 degC (188 degF) (Core #3)
Temperature 5 86 degC (186 degF) (Core #4)

Clock Speed 0 3789.78 MHz (Core #0)
Clock Speed 1 3789.78 MHz (Core #1)
Clock Speed 2 3789.78 MHz (Core #2)
Clock Speed 3 3789.78 MHz (Core #3)
Clock Speed 4 3789.78 MHz (Core #4)
Clock Speed 5 3789.78 MHz (Core #5)

(Recorded after 20 mins of stress testing)

I don't think there is an issue with my CPU. When I run aforementioned games, the 3D/Rendering goes to 100% which causes the FPS drop. This is an unusual behavior. I checked my PC for potential malware as well.

I should mention that yesterday, before I gained significant boost in FPS, I was trying to run two games on 2 different displays, in doing so, I encountered an error on the main game (X4 Foundations) and I regrettably don't remember what it was specifically, but my game closed and I think it was graphics related error. I only tried the NMS and Doom Eternal a few hours after.

Thank you for your reply.

Apr 21, 2020
Case solved.

I downloaded gpu-z and monitored the gpu stats playing games that run fine and that don't run fine. And it seems the Bus Interface was taking a lot of load in games that worked badly. That's when I realized that it was at (PCIe x 16 3.0 @ x1 3.0). Using only 1 out of 16. So I cleaned up the dust and re-seated my GTX 1060. Now it takes 16 out of 16 links. All issues resolved after that. Yay!

Solution