Some general Hard Drive questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milgauss

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Hey there guys, Im about to change my motherboad to a new one, and im reinstalling windows into a brand new ssd instead of my HDD. My question is this : I have 2 HDDs 1tb and 2 tb. Windows is currently installed in my 1tb drive. Im planning on formating it once ive reinstalled windows onto my new ssd. But all of my data is on my 2tb drive. Is it possible for my 2tb drive to work even after reinstalling windows on my new ssd and motherboard? Or will it give me the option to format it the moment i plug it into the computer. If so, it looks like i would have to buy a External drive.

Solution
Your first problem is getting the OS running with a new MB. If you're running an OEM version of W7, Microsoft will require you to purchase a new license when changing MBs. You will be prompted to format the SSD when installing the OS. I always do. Your old HDDs can be put into an external enclosure and read thru a USB post to migrate data.

ram1009

Distinguished
Your first problem is getting the OS running with a new MB. If you're running an OEM version of W7, Microsoft will require you to purchase a new license when changing MBs. You will be prompted to format the SSD when installing the OS. I always do. Your old HDDs can be put into an external enclosure and read thru a USB post to migrate data.

Solution

price_th

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
If all you have on your 2TB drive is data, then yes once the new system is up and running just plug the drive back in and it will show up as it was. The only issue that may exist is if your partition was spanned across the two drive. Not very common.

Milgauss

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Hmm some people told me that i could call Microsoft and tell them thatt my motherboard failed, and they can re-activate my oem windows again.

and no, my 2tb drive is not partitioned in any way. im just worried that when i reconnect my 2tb drive back to my new installed windows on my new mobo and ssd, that it just prompt me to format immediately.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
That will work, If you replaced your old MB with the same exact part #, if not I doubt it.

No, don't worry that won't happen. :sol:

Status
Not open for further replies.