Some New Apple iMacs May Be Assembled in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Extra-high-capacity hard drive lol...

Either way, I don't care much for macs but I would love to see them start shipping their production lines back to the state.

G

Let's assume for sake of argument that American workers are more expensive than their Asian counter-parts. Holding quality equal, will consumers pay a higher price for the "Made in USA" label?

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
The problem is not if consumers will pay more for an American made product, the problem is that America allows foreign labor to compete freely with American labor. This is happening all over the world with the concept of the Global Economy. Consumers are now accustomed to buy all their products, made with foreign workers, and then complain about their own economy. The more money the consumers spend, the faster their money leaves their country. Foreign workers do not pay taxes to your country, that help bring down the deficit and pay for essential services, and foreign workers take away millions of jobs that are desperately needed now in your own country. When you buy a foreign made product, you are at best lowering your future earnings or buying your future unemployment. America has fake unemployment numbers to hide the millions of jobs lost in the past several decades. Most political party nominees around the world are selected by big business that contribute to their campaign funds and could care less about creating jobs for their citizens. In America, neither the Democrats nor the Republicans will take the matter seriously since their loyalty lies to the big donors that are happy with the Global Economy. Why build a $150+ Nike shoe in America for $29 when you can make it in China for $19? Why build the new San Francisco Bay Bridge with $20+ per hour American workers when you can ship Chinese workers and pay them 75 cents per hour. This is reality, not only consumers like to save a buck, but businesses love to save even more.

G

almost makes me want to work for a foreign company (updates resume)

G

Where is this assembly in the US? Is it foxcomm owned? I'm curious to know.

Dec 2, 2011
It is a damn shame, that where it is assembled is random. I have customers who would specifically buy them if I could guarantee they got ones assembled in the U.S.

[citation][nom]amdfangirl[/nom]Tell me again when it says:"Assembled entirely out of American parts"That will be a story![/citation]

Would be nice if our cars and trucks didn't rely on imported parts.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
Trade is a good thing. It doesn't matter where things are made. What matters is we get the highest quality goods for the lowest amount of resources.

Skeete_UK

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Apple are currently being investigated as simply plugging stuff together does not constitute Assembly.

"As an example of an invalid use of "Assembled in USA", the FTC cites a computer with all of its major components being made outside the US, then "put together in a simple 'screwdriver' operation in the U.S." That computer, the FTC rules, "must be marked with a foreign country of origin." Why? Because "An 'Assembled in U.S.' claim without further qualification is deceptive."

Skeete_UK

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Apple are currently being investigated by the FTC as this assembled in the US label is misleading. See Quote below from theRegister.

"As an example of an invalid use of "Assembled in USA", the FTC cites a computer with all of its major components being made outside the US, then "put together in a simple 'screwdriver' operation in the U.S." That computer, the FTC rules, "must be marked with a foreign country of origin." Why? Because "An 'Assembled in U.S.' claim without further qualification is deceptive."

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
It doesn't matter. I'll never think of Apple as a good corporation after deleting user posts about issues they're having with Apple products off Apple forums, or after admitting to using child labor to make iPhones. They'll still be no more American made than anything sold at Walmart either.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]Trade is a good thing. It doesn't matter where things are made. What matters is we get the highest quality goods for the lowest amount of resources.[/citation]

That's the dumbest comment I've read on here today. You win!

That's like saying "it doesn't matter what land is stripped of nature for the mining of resources, as long as we get them." I'll remember that when I tear up your lawn to harvest rocks to build a wall around mine.

They're called JOBS. WHERE those jobs are makes a huge difference in QUALITY OF LIFE. Economics 101. Why do you think China is becoming more wealthy and the United States has seen a downslide in quality of life? JOBS.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]atminside[/nom]Wow that's good news. More jobs here the better.[/citation]

Except it isn't news. Merely speculation. That's like saying that tomorrow I may build a spacecraft in my garage and colonize a new planet by the end of the week. It's not likely, not even newsworthy. But hey, it COULD happen right?

Status
Not open for further replies.