News Some Oculus Quest 2 Owners are Getting Banned From Using Their Headsets

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

InvalidError

Titan
it should have been a separate OCULUS account.
Nah, it should have been a NO ACCOUNT whatsoever thing. Unless the hardware is clearly and explicitly intended for exclusive use with a specific online service, ex.: Stadia, use of the hardware shouldn't be conditional to an arbitrary mandatory online account - I can use my GTX1050 without creating a GeForce Experience account.

HC1Gunner

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
New Oculus owners now have to log in to their devices with Facebook, but Quest 2 owners who are making or reviving Facebook accounts to log in are getting banned.

Some Oculus Quest 2 Owners are Getting Banned From Using Their Headsets : Read more

Why as a company would you even link yourself with the FB name, or force people to to use a-daily-hacked piece of crap web app like FB. More than likely some $$ being passed under the table (kickbacks), what a poor way to treat you customers Oculus!

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
Why as a company would you even link yourself with the FB name, or force people to to use a-daily-hacked piece of crap web app like FB. More than likely some $$ being passed under the table (kickbacks), what a poor way to treat you customers Oculus!
Err, you do realize that Oculus is wholly owned by Facebook, right?

Oculus sold out to Facebook for more than $2 billion back in 2014, a couple years before the first consumer Rift came out. Originally, they were left to operate with some degree of autonomy, but Facebook has gradually taken over, and I don't think any of the main people behind Oculus are left at the company. At this point, Oculus is little more than Facebook's VR brand, and lately they have even been cutting out use of the Oculus name from many things, replacing it with just "Facebook".

I actually had a 10+ year old Facebook account banned not too long ago, as they apparently finally decided after more than a decade that I didn't use accurate personal information when signing up for it. I didn't actually ever post anything on the account's profile page, instead just using it to occasionally access the pages of a few acquaintances and very rarely comment on their posts. It might be possible to retrieve an account, but sending personal identification to an invasive data-harvesting company seems like a questionable idea.

I certainly wouldn't consider buying hardware or software tied to an account at a company that has shown a willingness to randomly ban users at any point, for any reason. The Quest 2 is disposable hardware that will be obsolete within a few years anyway, but the requirement for a Facebook account just seals the deal of making it a product to avoid.

Reactions: Shadowclash10
Oct 17, 2020
I see this as a fundamental disconnect between the gamer demographic and Facebook account holder demographic. Gamers by nature want an on-line presence that isn't well linked to their real identity so they can role play and do other geeky stuff without real world consequences. Facebook users just want to read updates from and post updates to their distant friends and relatives in the real world.

NewJohnny

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Gamers by nature want an on-line presence that isn't well linked to their real identity so they can role play and do other geeky stuff without real world consequences.
I remember the uproar when Blizzard tried to enforce Real ID on Battlenet. I see people making nonsense posts on forums from their facebook account all the time but, you are right-- games are different.

I'll be honest with you. I tried this device and it was terrible. If this is the future of VR for $299 then technology is in big trouble. Girlfriends son had an Oculus Rift S and that thing was great. After using the Quest 2....I came to the conclusion that it's not that great.
the RiftS is great, my only regret is in a couple of years i'll need to use a facebook account to use it. which means it will go in the trash.