Some People Are Smashing Their PS4s Right After Purchase

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excursion

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

i do not think they use adclocker from google nor do i believe any of these videos belong to a youtube partnered channel thus making me assume no money was earned for the destruction of the consoles .

now i may be wrong and they do have a partnered channel on youtube , but highly unlikely as i didnt see them on the partnered list.

InvalidError

Titan

The first video was over 500k when i checked a few days ago. The third one was still under 30k though.

Jroc187

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
$400 is play money for some of us with jobs. I have spent that in one night going out. But they did this for the hit's for there youtube channel. Think about

Jroc187

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Over 1 million views, I wish I thought of smashing mine instead of selling it. kicking my self in the @$$ right now

vietdeity86

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Everyone saying some of these people need more brains needs to understand that some of these people smashing their consoles are MAKING money. The top one with 1 million views equates to (if paired with adsense) at LEAST 3000-6000$ usd. So, where is your intellect now if his is lower than yours?

aarondbelcher

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
@rawoysters - I am American (by birth) and I agree 100% with you, but make no mistake that all American's are like this. I have NEVER nor will I EVER do anything like this! This is absolutely insane! People should wait to do this until after the launch has been caught up with demand, so the people who actually WANT one can get one without having to wait for the back orders to be filled. There are stupid a$$ people like this EVERYWHERE in the world, not just America, just an FYI...

G

The first guy's smashing a PS3 (nobody's been let into the store yet) and the third one is obviously fake and acted (second video has been removed). Way to be an observant news reporter.

aarondbelcher

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
@rawoysters - I am American (by birth) and I agree 100% with you, but make no mistake that all American's are like this. I have NEVER nor will I EVER do anything like this! This is absolutely insane! People should wait to do this until after the launch has been caught up with demand, so the people who actually WANT one can get one without having to wait for the back orders to be filled. There are stupid a$$ people like this EVERYWHERE in the world, not just America, just an FYI...

InvalidError

Titan

I do not think PS4 smashing videos would be much of a smashing success one week after launch... and you probably missed your chance to try your luck with the XB1.

dustley

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
You guys obviously don't realize if they get a million advertised youtube views, they'll make $800-$5000 depending on the type of advertising. Easily worth the $400 investment. It isn't a bunch of "spoiled brat Americans", it's actually "clever Americans capitalizing on shock entertainment value". Ironic how you guys are the ones calling them dumb... ;)

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Well I spent my $400 and plugged it in when I got home... I suppose to each his own, I think my method of entertainment will be much more cost effective in the future...

Must be nice to have money to burn like this... Mind you even if I did have the money to do this, I still wouldn't... Really don't get the point of it at all.

tonelowke

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
For all those asking "Why?" If people monetize their Youtube channel, they may be getting around $2 per 1000 views @ 1.2 million they get $2,400 and just made $2,000 profit for smashing their PS4. Not spoiled, not even dumb, just crazy businessmen/women.

ElectricSamurai

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Playstation & Xbox consoles have been and still are a failed attempt by large corporations to monopolize the gaming industry. Xbox lost Microsoft $4 billion over 4 years, much of that $4 billion was spent on title exclusivity: paying developers of PC games NOT to release those games for other consoles or PC. For the cost of a ps4/ XboxOne & a few games one can build a PC nearly much more powerful both in terms of graphics acceleration & raw CPU power. (aka: runs higher polygon count models with better textures & effects at higher framerates) PC's can be upgraded over time to match the needs of new games which allows game devs to take advantage of new tech as it's released into the market while maintaining scalability of settings for older PCs. Meanwhile console software & tech are frozen in time for 5 more years.
If something goes wrong in a PC we can RMA JUST THAT PART & replace it easily, rather than ship back the entire system. Consoles are now & always will be for the sadly misinformed marketing-dominated people who cannot fathom that games are nearly 8 years behind what they could & SHOULD be as a result of the console manufacturers play for market dominance. This limits games both graphically & control-wise due to console's simplistic, slower & less precise controllers (meanwhile PC can use any peripheral controller in existence including the XBOX & PS4 controllers) The PC hardware market has lots of competition driving both technology forward & prices downward. PC games are hugely cheaper because they are distributable digitally by companies like Steam, GoG, Origin and Amazon DD.
I love games but I hate consoles both from a player AND a developer standpoint. If they were upgradable, compatible with any & all peripheral controllers/hardware, didn't limit the progress & quality of games & actually belonged to us once we buy them (so that we may install any software/operating system we want & use them as we wish) then consoles would be awesome! or wait... no, they'd be Personal Computers for gaming. High fives & respect to anyone who smashes a PS or Xbox & comes over to the free future of quality gaming: Personal Computers

MarsWarrior

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Anyone thinking that this is what becoming famous is, must be very desperate for attention. Infamous for displaying a moronic worthlessness is probably a more fitting description!

Status
Not open for further replies.