[SOLVED] Some questions about free games in Steam

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, there are some free games and demos available on Steam. I downloaded and installed some of them. I noticed the following: 1. Some programs require me to OK them to install additional programs. Is it risky to accept such requests? 2. Sometimes Windows firewall asks me to give permission to those game programs, shall I do it? 3. After installation, some programs asked me to crate a user account. Is it risky to do this? Thanks

Solution
Which games exactly?

With some MMO's Windows will ask for permission to play and still may have an additional launcher (Tera is one of them).

If your unsure about a game check reviews, usually anything that comes with a free game that could be considered malicious is usually noted in reviews and not recommended which typically comes up at Mixed reviews instead of recommended.

WildCard999

Titan
Which games exactly?

With some MMO's Windows will ask for permission to play and still may have an additional launcher (Tera is one of them).

If your unsure about a game check reviews, usually anything that comes with a free game that could be considered malicious is usually noted in reviews and not recommended which typically comes up at Mixed reviews instead of recommended.

Solution
Which games exactly?

Steam would never let a game up on their platform if it was shady and malicious. It would be removed inside an hour.

WildCard999

Titan
Steam would never let a game up on their platform if it was shady and malicious. It would be removed inside an hour.
It's not the game itself but software that included in the game. I tried a few MMO's from Steam previously that had "add-on" software that was equivalent to spyware. Acting like a anti-cheat system but then going through your system for "checks". It's been awhile so I don't remember the names but am sure they still exist on Steam, will try to find a few for example.

It's not the game itself but software that included in the game. I tried a few MMO's from Steam previously that had "add-on" software that was equivalent to spyware. Acting like a anti-cheat system but then going through your system for "checks". It's been awhile so I don't remember the names but am sure they still exist on Steam, will try to find a few for example.

Oh yeah I saw that often. They are mostly anti-cheat system installed and running in the background installed by the game because these game run their own launcher. I would not consider this a real threat to your computer. If these anti-cheat do anything else but what they are supposed to do we would know and people would complain and Steam would probably remove it. Since Steam isn't really doing anything about it it's probably safe. I don't mind a program doing check up in the game files to see if there are modified.

I understand why people would be scared tho of these programs. That's like people who think Denuvo is stealing their medical prescription :)