Question Some questions about the Intel over-voltaging issue

Aug 14, 2024
I have some questions for the PC experts related to this new I7/I9 over-voltaging issue. Apologies if there's already a thread with these answers, please feel free to direct me to it if so.

- Is the over-voltaging problem equivalent to what would happen if you overclocked your CPU?

- Does the problem with the over-voltaging stem entirely from the increased CPU temperatures this brings? So if you have adequate/excellent CPU cooling, the over-voltaging wouldn't be a problem?

- Is there a good way to test your CPU to see if it's already been damaged by the over-voltaging issue?

- Is the microcode update a motherboard update? I.e., is it something you'd flash onto your motherboard? Are there some motherboards that are (mostly) unaffected by this issue?

I have an I9-13900K with an MSI - MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK mobo and Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 cooler that I got last year and haven't used much yet (been distracted with migrating my current setup over, etc.). When I did use it I never noticed CPU temps going much above 40C, so I'm *hoping* that I haven't damaged my CPU yet, but best to know sooner rather than later in order to get in the extended warranty period.

Last edited:
- Is the over-voltaging problem equivalent to what would happen if you overclocked your CPU?
not entirely, its like having bad power delivery which is frying cpu over time during normal use

Does the problem with the over-voltaging stem entirely from the increased CPU temperatures this brings? So if you have adequate/excellent CPU cooling, the over-voltaging wouldn't be a problem?
its boost clock related, technically.... better temperatures = better boost clock = more voltage

Is there a good way to test your CPU to see if it's already been damaged by the over-voltaging issue?
CPU stress test

Is the microcode update a motherboard update? I.e., is it something you'd flash onto your motherboard? Are there some motherboards that are (mostly) unaffected by this issue?
microcode is stored in bios, so youd have to update bios to update cpu microcode.
it controls how much voltage each cpu part would be getting...so even workstation boards are affected as they all use same microcode