derwouldd

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2013
i7 9700K @ 3.6
MSI Z370 A-Pro
EVGA 960 4GB
Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 3600
750W PSU

I was using G Skill 16GB @ 3200. My computer was freezing often, so I ran memtest86. After running memtest, I tested one stick at a time, and one stick froze. After running the memtest, I noticed my RAM was at 2133MHz. I played games like this for two days with no issues. I assumed the RAM was bad, so I purchased the RAM listed above. After installing the new RAM, I turned on XMP. After about thirty minutes into a game, my computer froze again. After installing the new RAM, I thought it was fault of the motherboard. I read elsewhere it could be voltage issue. Suggestions?

Last edited:
Solution
Ok, so the F4-3200C16D-16GVRB G.Skill kit IS validated for that motherboard. The Corsair kit is not on the Corsair memory finder compatibility list for that board NOR is it on the motherboard QVL.

I would try as follows.

Flip the PSU to the off position on the back of the PSU. That will be the "0" position. Then remove the graphics card if necessary and remove the CMOS battery. Remove the Corsair memory and install the G.Skill kit in the A2 and B2 slots. Press the power button on the front of the case for 30 seconds continuously. Now reinstall the CMOS battery. Reinstall the graphics card IF you had to remove it to access the CMOS battery.

Flip the PSU switch back to the "I" on position and power up the system. See if it is able to...

derwouldd

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2013
According to this, I have them installed on DIMMA2 and DIMMB2
8417_36_msi-z370-gaming-pro-carbon-ac-system-build-guide.png

Yes, A2 and B2 are the CORRECT slots for two DIMM population. If they were in the A1 and B1 slots, that would not be the correct population.

What is the EXACT model of your memory kit? If you still have the G.Skill kit, give me the model of that one as well. Let's make sure we're using memory that Corsair and G.Skill say are compatible with your board, OR that are listed on the motherboard QVL list.

Ok, so the F4-3200C16D-16GVRB G.Skill kit IS validated for that motherboard. The Corsair kit is not on the Corsair memory finder compatibility list for that board NOR is it on the motherboard QVL.

I would try as follows.

Flip the PSU to the off position on the back of the PSU. That will be the "0" position. Then remove the graphics card if necessary and remove the CMOS battery. Remove the Corsair memory and install the G.Skill kit in the A2 and B2 slots. Press the power button on the front of the case for 30 seconds continuously. Now reinstall the CMOS battery. Reinstall the graphics card IF you had to remove it to access the CMOS battery.

Flip the PSU switch back to the "I" on position and power up the system. See if it is able to POST and get into the BIOS. If it is, then go into the BIOS and load the optimal default or default settings on the "Save/Exit" tab. Then, before leaving the BIOS, go to the memory section and enable the XMP profile. Reconfigure the boot order, fan profiles and any other custom settings you wish to reconfigure as they will have been reset to default. Now, go back to the Save/Exit tab and save the current settings and exit the BIOS. See if the system will POST, boot into Windows and is stable.

Solution

derwouldd

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2013
I've done that, and running test now with the RAM at 3200MHz.
On the Intel website, it states that the supported memory for i7 9700k is 2666MHz. Could this be the issue?

That is only the "native speed" that is supported. That is not the upper limit on the 9700k's supported memory speed. Memory speed is generally determined and limited by motherboard chipset type PLUS in some cases, what CPU model is in play. But the motherboard will tell you what the limit is, not the CPU model.

That motherboard supports up to 4000mhz memory kits, so no, that's not the issue.

At 2133mhz ALL motherboards will be using the default, baseline JEDEC configuration settings including primary timings, some secondary timings, voltage and speed/frequency. Most memory will work at the baseline in most systems because it's easy for the motherboard to configure secondary and tertiary timings that are loose enough to accommodate the specifics of that kit/stick while still remaining within what the module can tolerate stably.

So pretty much any memory kit will run on any board, for the most part, at the default JEDEC baseline configuration. But, a lot of kits WON'T run on some specific motherboards, at the higher or XMP profile speeds, because the timings it needs to see to make THAT kit work on THAT board AT that speed, aren't compatible enough for it to configure them all in a way that is acceptable to both the memory and the motherboard. That is why there are validation, compatibility and qualified vendor lists.

VERY often there are BIOS updates along the way that improve compatibility. What BIOS version do you currently have installed?

derwouldd

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2013
I have 2.C0 installed. I just recently installed it about a week ago. I put the Ripjaw RAM sticks back in it on A2 and B2.
My CPU is stock clock, should I OC that? I've been reading a lot of things, and trying a lot of things. I'm not too savvy with overclocking, just building. I've never had an issue with my PC until recently. Also, my CPU as advertised as 3.6GHz, but sometimes when I open Task Manager, it shows higher than 3.6GHz.

It doesn't happen randomly, just in Windows. I happens when I play Escape From Tarkov, seems to be random time intervals. Also somtimes in GTAV Online. After I started having these issues, I ran MEMTEST86, and Prime95. I let Prime95 run for an hour, and it freezes when I stop the test.

Oh, and my apologies. My mobo is MSI, not ASUS.

Last edited:
I just did a fresh install on a brand new SSD, and removed HDD. I thought perhaps it was an issue with my install. Still freezes after shutting down Prime95
What is your CPU cooler? The cooler mounting may be putting too much pressure on the CPU causing CPU socket pins to shift out of place and lose contact with the CPU. You might need to remove the CPU cooler and CPU to check the CPU socket for bent or broken pins or to just reseat the CPU.

derwouldd

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2013
What is your CPU cooler? The cooler mounting may be putting too much pressure on the CPU causing CPU socket pins to shift out of place and lose contact with the CPU. You might need to remove the CPU cooler and CPU to check the CPU socket for bent or broken pins or to just reseat the CPU.

I've got a TT 360mm aio.

I disabled Turbo on my CPU. Hasn't froze yet.