Somebody help a benchmarking newb out please!

Maclem8223

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
Hello all,

I'm not new to custom computers or building them but I am new to having a "good" enough system to do some benchmarking...
PC specs:
CPU: i7 4790k
COOLER: H100i GTX w/ Commander mini running all 8 AF120's in case (including push/pull on cooler)
MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Hero
RAM: 32GB Corsair Pro Vengeance
GPU: Sapphire R9 390x
CASE: Corsair 760T
PSU: EVGA G2 1000w
STORAGE: WD 4TB (games, files)
MONITOR: BenQ XL27340Z 2560x1440 @ 144HZ

CPU is OC'd at 4.6 GHz, no OC on gpu but would love to just haven't seen much about the 390x being that good at overclocking if at all.
My question I guess is, can anyone tell me where to start as far as GPU settings and maybe monitor settings to get the most out of my system. My overall 3DMark score for Firestrike extreme was 5617 which just seems really low to me and the FPS was dipping to the low 20's, high teens at one point. I've read a lot of general info but it is quite a bit to grasp and comprehend when it comes to GPU settings. OC memory? GPU? Only OC that I have been comfortable with was with the CPU as far as knowledge goes. Any help or education would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

That score is exactly what a 390X should get.

Not sure what you mean about GPU and monitor settings, do you mean how much you can overclock the video card? Run on defaults, will be fine. A 390X paired with an i7 is a fast system at stock speeds, no need to overclock it and shorten life of the components or damage them.