News Someone Got Windows XP Running on Blockchain

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
What does "running on blockchain" mean?
Basically running something on a (decentralized) virtual machine that's being hosted on all active blockchain nodes. The web page front end would still be hosted on a normal server I believe, but the backend is run on the blockchain VM. That's my understanding anway.

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Utterly useless article. As usual, I could tell who wrote it without even looking.

Basically running something on a (decentralized) virtual machine that's being hosted on all active blockchain nodes.
Again, what does this mean? Are you saying that the memory pages are blocks, or something like that? And maybe they get snapshotted, every so often? That would at least make some logical sense, if impractical.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Again, what does this mean? Are you saying that the memory pages are blocks, or something like that? And maybe they get snapshotted, every so often? That would at least make some logical sense, if impractical.
I don't really know what in particular is going on with this Windows XP thing, just have a crude understanding of 'running on the blockchain' means in general (or at least on Ethereum).

There is an API through which you can interact with the ethereum blockchain to store data, or manipulate data already there. Each of these interactions is expressed as a blockchain transaction and written into blocks. So a developer can code a decentralized application (DApp), which is a smart contract that defines the state of some system and the rules by which this system can be interacted with. They deploy the DAapp by creating a transaction that writes the code of this DApp into the blockchain. From there you create a more conventional webpage front end, which then interacts with the blockchain (or more specifically, the smart contract on the blockchain) by calling functions from the smart contract code via the API. Every ethereum node will compute these interactions (transactions), verify that they conform with the rules of the smart contract, and write the outcome (new state of the system) into a new block. It's this last part (all the nodes computing the transactions) that is referred to as the ethereum virtual machine.
E.g. let's say you make a trading card game. The art assets, GUI, etc. are all stored in a conventional webpage. However, the 'owner' of each card is stored in the blockchain by associating the unique digital identifier for each card with some key. You go on the website and want to trade your card for another (owned by someone else). Both you and other person interact with the web page, which in turn translates these interactions into function calls to the functions written in the smart contract, which ultimately comprises a blockchain transaction, and you sign the transaction using your private key (proving you own the digital asset in question). The VM would execute these transactions in accordance with the code of the DApp, and when the transactions are processed the new block would state that each card now belongs to the new owner.

I'm far from an expert, if it still doesn't make sense it's probably because I don't understand well enough myself to explain it properly. Certainly the actual math/code behind it is beyond me. And I'm more than a little fuzzy on exactly this Windows XP example fits into the explanation I've given above.

Last edited:
Reactions: bit_user