Someone please help me...

llcoolj333

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Hello everyone, I have just recieved a sapphire 5970 a couple weeks ago and im finding out that im not getting anywhere near the performance that others are getting, my current setup is, MA770T-ud3p (770 chipset) 4gb ddr3 mushkin gaming ram, windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, haf 932 amd edition case, 700 watt rocketfish psu, now I just phoned the dealer where I got my 5970 from, and he says that forsure its my motherboard and he said im only getting about 60 percent the performance that I should be getting, he pointed out a board for me, but i would like to ask around in this brilliant forum for other thoughts before i drop another 200 dollars. if anyone has any advice or input that would be great!!! and i have also checked and both gpu's are running on the card. thank you

llcoolj333

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
im running a 955be @ 3.7ghz, I will run vantage right now and let you guys now within a few minutes. The psu running 36 amps on the 12v rail, and i know that is low, but i also hooked up a 650 corsair with 52 amps on the 12 v rail and same result, i guess what im having problems with is that when it is dipping frames its far too much for instance in crysis, i sometimes get as low as 17 frames but also as high as 65?? and i know it should not be doing that, and every other game is just not matching up to what other people are getting. around 20-25 fps short.

When you say performance.......... not getting the frame rates you think you should or games are faltering or lagging. Crysis is a killer on any card so to speak but if the game plays smooth you shouldn't complain. My 5850 plays it smooth.... not sure about the snow yet. Too many people think cards should get a gazillion FPS in any game just because it's new. There's something called playability with higher settings is what you should be looking at....with a heavy stress on the highest playable minimum frames. That's where the trouble is. The new architecture on the 5870 should enable the game to play without any problems.
I wouldn't let the guy in the computer shop try and sell you a new board. It could be your ram or just nothing at all. Other peoples fps...... are they running the same thing as you or are they running i7's clocked to the hilt ? Also, W7 has problems with gaming though some people think it's a sin to say so. Food for thought. Let us know what you find.

llcoolj333

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
my gpu score on vantage is 20594, and cpu is 12677 p17813. I have just watched a ton of youtube videos on the 5970 in crysis and gta 4 and none of them are dipping at all?? where mine is way to much, and yes most are on 17 920's but that would not justify 20fps, and 3dmark 06 score 2100 which is same as my old 5870

5970 = 2 - 5850's... more or less ? I thought Crysis was one of those games that didn't cross fire well.. ?? Anyways, I run a 5850 on Q9550/8g-DDR2-800/Vista all stock and have no problems...... How long has this been up and running ? And do you keep the maggot ware off it and clean up and defrag your drives ? msconfig from run and see if there's anything running you don't need. ( start up and services ) And i would check to see what's being allowed through the firewall. I never check 3d mark scores. Doesn't mean anything for real world/users.

llcoolj333

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
i have reinstalled windows now 4 timeS and reformatted each time. i will check the firewall but honestly dont think thats the problem. like i said earlier a guy from the retailer said its because im running on a 770 chipset and he suggested a board for me and they didnt have any in stock so he guided me towards newegg so he wasnt doing no sales pitch. do u guys agree that that might be the problem? im very lost because i know that i should be gaming alot more smooth than when i had my 5870 and its only a little bit better with huge frame dips.

llcoolj333

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
also when im playing crysis sometimes the screen will just freeze for around 2 seconds. my 5870 was more playable with crysis then my 5970 because the 5870 would not freeze up or dip into the very low teens.

I have no way of testing that chip set to another. One thing I thought of was to go into the CCC and check the settings. Set what you can to let app decide. Then work on settings in the games control panel. As far as the board goes.... got money, upgrade to calm your curiosity.

llcoolj333

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
thanks for advice but i have honestly tried those things. this is very frustrating. my knowledge with computers is quite decent and i dont think at all that its a faulty card. anyone else have any ideas? thanks

Your GPU score is higher than a 5870, so the crossfire is working. However, the score is a bit low still. I do know that the i7 definately out performs the phenom II, especially with a 5970. With a 5870, almost everything becomes GPU bound, but once you add another (or 5970), then the CPU starts to be stressed.

I still would expect a little higher GPU score, can you confirm that your PCIe is 2.0(1) and running at x16? That could hold you back.

What I meant was to check that it is actually running at PCIe 2.0 x16. Not weither it can. I've seen quite a few people here with similar low scores which turned out to be as a result of not running at the correct speed which can be corrected.

There is a program, called GPU-Z. Download it, open it up, and check the bus interface.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_gpuz/

Un-install the ATI drivers... sound and video......... reboot. Install the drivers as normal but select " custom or advanced" install. When prompted, say NO when they ask if you want to install the sound driver. Continue with video install.

About the GPU-z thing.... at idle the card will register lower clocks. Not until you start a game will it give you the actual top speed. You might have to run in windowed mode to see the graph.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

5970 = 2 Underclocked 5870s (full 1600 SP's)
Crysis loves crossfire, a 5970 will carry Crysis at 2560 x 1600 at Very High (without AA).
As long as the 5970 has 16 lanes then there wouldn't be a huge difference.

The 770 mobo you linked has a full 16x PCI-E 2.0 slot, shouldn't be a problem.