Question Something appears to be blocking any security software on my pc?

Kappa.mp4

Honorable
Aug 3, 2019
Hi there, hope you're all well.
Having a little problem where my windows security doesn't appear to be present. I type windows security in the search bar, and a settings screen comes up but it's completely blank. It wont let me scan for threats, it just stays at 0%. Any sort of solution ideas would be greatly appreciated. Mentioning in case it helps, a while ago I got what I believed to be a trojan, where a window playing advertisements was always open in the background until I finally shelled out the dosh for a premium antivirus which fixed the problem. I deleted the antivirus a while ago and it's no longer on my system so I doubt it could be that controlling it.

Many thanks

Kappa.mp4

Honorable
Aug 3, 2019
Hi there, before I try that I did a scan with a cleaning app from the microsoft store and it's found something called
Win.Virus.Sality-6823647-0 with the file name 'BitTorrent.exe'

A quick google search has revealed that this sort of thing can make it difficult to or obstruct the installation of antivirus. Is this related?

Mar 27, 2024
Win.Virus.Sality-6823647-0 with the file name 'BitTorrent.exe'

A quick google search has revealed that this sort of thing can make it difficult to or obstruct the installation of antivirus. Is this related?

By: https://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/virus-w32-sality.shtml

It seems to be a nasty malware with dropper/stealer functionalities. The easiest things to do is to scan with multiple tools, and attempt to fix the problem by automated processes. The surest and "fastest" would be to backup data and do a clean-install. The more stretched out way is to have a walk through with a "well-known" stranger (like on bleeping computer forum) to see if you have gotten everything.