Something is killing my SSD`s one by one in my pc

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Storydiver

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014
3 days ago after booting up my pc my motherboard BIOS told me that it couldnt find my boot drive(Samsung 850 pro 256 gb) i tested the connections , swapped SATA and power cables but nothing , hooked it up to my other pc , windows storage device manager , and samsung magician saw only an uknown drive , tested my other SSD with the same cables , ( samsung evo 850 500 gb ) its condition was good , with 7 tb written .

Ok i thought so , the drive died , it was 4 years old , what ever i will go get a new one , got samsung evo 860 500 gb reinstalled win 10 and was good .
But today , after my morning boot up my evo 850 ( my game drive which i know was good ) had also bricked ( at first windows was in infinite loading loop , i restarted and no drive , same as before , BIOS would not even show that it was connected to my motherboard ).

At this point i am scared to hook anything up to my pc or even power it on .What can be doing this , PSU , motherboard or perhaps i , with my testing used the same power or SATA connector for both 850 pro and 850 evo after reassembly , could those be culprit ?

Has anyone seen anything like this , should i replace both my motherboard and PSU ?

my spec :
CPU: i7 4790k
Motheboard: MSI 97Z Gaming 7
PSU : corsair 850HXi
GPU : GTX 1080 SLI
RAM : corsair vengeance 2400 16 gb
SSD : 850 pro 256 gb ( dead )
SSD : 850 evo 500 gb ( dead )
SSD : 860 evo 500 gb
HDD : Toshiba 3 tb
HDD : Toshiba 3 tb

Storydiver

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014
I have been using my pc for more than a week after the PSU change , and there have been no further hardware failures .
I am 90 precent sure it must have been the PSU , if there are no further problems within the next month , I will consider the matter closed.
Thanks to everyone that tried to help with advice and discussion.

Reactions: dead.ssd.guy

gaborbarla

Distinguished

Awesome to hear, and thanks for the feedback.