Question Something making a buzzing noise.

Poultrygeist6

Reputable
Apr 2, 2020
So I'm making this post because I'm not entirely sure if this is a fan, because it is way too soft for that.. I've had many fans fail on me and they're not nearly as soft as this.. I will link a video below, it's really quiet and starts at around 5 seconds so be sure to crank it up.. Seriously, it's really quiet but also a bit bassy..

This happens every ~35 seconds and will last ~5 seconds before everything is back to normal.. When this happens, nothing happens to my PC itself.. I had many monitoring apps open at the same time and as soon as that noise starts, everything stays stable.. The noise is A LOT louder and lasts a lot longer if the PC has been off for some time especially during the winter. This has been happening for a few years but it only started to annoy me now as I've moved into a much smaller place and it's very clear late at night when I'm trying to sleep and everything is quiet enough for this sound to be loud enough..

I never hear it during the day because of gaming and noise cancelling headphones but, yeah.. There are a number of reasons why I sleep with my PC on and would just like to know if this is a fan dying or my AiO Liquid Cooler being wonky.. Thanks in advance..

Unlisted video:
View: https://youtube.com/shorts/UYiYi8O_e_I?feature=share

Note: I have replaced all 6 case fans after this noise started due to them slowly dying over time.. I also got a new GPU in that time but I still have the same PSU..

Lutfij

Titan
Roll up a sheet of A4 paper into a cylinder, then hold one end of the tube to your ear while the other end is used to probe for the source of the noise.

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Reactions: LinuxDevice

Poultrygeist6

Reputable
Apr 2, 2020
Roll up a sheet of A4 paper into a cylinder, then hold one end of the tube to your ear while the other end is used to probe for the source of the noise.

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.
I'll definitely give this a shot thank you.. I mainly want to locate the source.. If it's the PSU I can replace the fan without an issue.. The AiO is a different issue.. Info that I can give:

CPU: i5 10400 @ 2.90Ghz
CPU cooler: Corsair H150 RGB 360mm Liquid CPU Cooler (bought June 3 2022)
Motherboard: Gigabyte H510M-H -- Version F7 2021/04/27
RAM: 32GB (2x16GB)
SSD/HDD: 250GB ADATA SX8200 M.2, 2TB Hitachi SSD, 2TB Seagate ST2000 HDD
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
PSU: I honestly don't know
Chassis: Antec NX600
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey 27" 165hz + Samsung Curve 24" 144hz

I honestly don't know the age, make, or model of the PSU.. I do know that it's really old (less than 10 but more than 5yrs)..

Jan 14, 2024
This could be anything from a wire or tie-down contacting fan blades from airflow fluctuations, to bad fan motor bearings (which could make noise themselves or cause the fan blades to contact the housing). But you should check not only the case fans, but also the GPU cooler fans, the CPU cooler fans, PSU fan, and HDD. I'm not a fan of Seagate drives TBH. I am a staunch WD man.

Jan 14, 2024
One of my last two HDD fails was a WD.

We can't extrapolate drive fails from such small samples.

Results from BackBlaze show very similar fleetwide fail rates across all drives.
That may be so, but I've had a Seagate drive fail, and have known a few people that had Seagate drives fail. The latest incarnation of my gaming rig / studio has three WD Blue M.2s, two WD Black HDDs, and one Crucial MX500. I hail from the day of MS-DOS and have never had a WD drive fail. But of course, others' results may vary.

Last edited: