Question Why is my computer restarting shortly after rebooting everytime resulting in a loop?

Jul 2, 2024
Hey,

Specs.
CPU: Ryzen 7 3600x
GPU: MSI 1660 Super
Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

The problem first occured 9 months ago when I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was wrong. It would shut off and start up again shortly after it had booted. Sometimes I could get signed into to Windows for several minutes and sometimes it would not even get as far as showing the Windows screen.
Eventually I figured out that it worked without crashing in safe mode. Then I figured out that uninstalling my Nvidia drivers also stopped it from crashing. So I decided to buy a new graphics card and try that. It still had the same problem so I returned it.

I brought it to a computer technician and eventually he tried switching the gpu to the lower PCIe lane. That worked and I didn't have trouble with it for 6 months.

Then it happened again just the other day and hasn't work on that combo of Mobo and GPU since. I bought a new mother board this time to try, and still had the same issue. Switching the GPU to the second lane on the new motherboard actually seemed to work until after about an hour than it crashed, and stopped working.
Is it possible that there's some way the motherboard and the GPU are corrupting eachother one way or the other? Or is it neither of those, and rather the CPU or something? I'm running out of things to try.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hey there,

Please list your full PC specs, including ram and PSU also.

Is your bios up to date? Are your system drivers up to date?

I brought it to a computer technician and eventually he tried switching the gpu to the lower PCIe lane. That worked and I didn't have trouble with it for 6 months.
What exactly did they do? If in a secondary slot, it may be running at an x 8 connection instead of 16x.

Jul 2, 2024
Thanks for the reply.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3600x
GPU: GTX 1660 Super
Old Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
New Mobo I bought as mentioned: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk Max Wifi
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 650W 80+
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL DDR4 2x16GB 3600MHz
Drive: 500GB Western Digital WD Blue SN550 NVme SSD

All the motherboard drivers should have been updated since I installed them after putting in the new motherboard. It's possible there were some not updated that weren't related to the motherboard though, and I don't know for sure if they were updated on the old motherboard.
The old motherboard did not have an updated bios. If they sell mobos with updated bios then the new one should be updated but I can check and get back to you on the version of it.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
I believe all they did was switch the GPU physically to the bottom lane. The BIOS may have done something automatically but I don't think they did any configuring when they they did that.
Actually I see on your mobo diagram that the second lane is 16x too. So it should be fine.

Yes, check all drivers are curernt. You can use CPU-z to dtermine the bios installed. If it's aolder, a bios update may fix the issue.