Question Something wrong with my PC? Or all good?

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
I swear (because I tested multiple times and even had a friend come and check I was not hallucinating), but I can literally hear something very faint (don't know from what or which component) coming from my open case PC that is sitting a few inches away from me, make a very faint "electronic" noise sound whenever I highlight text in a document. I'm even highlighting this message that I'm writing right now for example and it's making the noise. When I move the mouse up to select a paragraph, it makes a noise (again not very loud and almost unnoticeable), and when I move the mouse back down to deselect the text, it makes the same noise again. I tried just moving the mouse around without selecting any text, and in that instance there was no noise. So, only when selecting text. How weird is this? Or is this common?

PS: Just tested again and the noise also seems to happen when I simply hover over files and folders in C:/. or any other location where there are folders. But not when I hover over empty space. Do all PCs make this noise and we just don't hear it because most cases are not open cases like mine?

I swear (because I tested multiple times and even had a friend come and check I was not hallucinating), but I can literally hear something very faint (don't know from what or which component) coming from my open case PC that is sitting a few inches away from me, make a very faint "electronic" noise sound whenever I highlight text in a document. I'm even highlighting this message that I'm writing right now for example and it's making the noise. When I move the mouse up to select a paragraph, it makes a noise (again not very loud and almost unnoticeable), and when I move the mouse back down to deselect the text, it makes the same noise again. I tried just moving the mouse around without selecting any text, and in that instance there was no noise. So, only when selecting text. How weird is this? Or is this common?

PS: Just tested again and the noise also seems to happen when I simply hover over files and folders in C:/. or any other location where there are folders. But not when I hover over empty space. Do all PCs make this noise and we just don't hear it because most cases are not open cases like mine?
Pretty much every electronic device can make some noise when in operation, it just doesn't drop down to audible levels most of the time. Its likely coil whine, and it can be a bit annoying but it isn't necessarily dangerous. That said, can you hear where the sound is coming from specifically? The gpu, motherboard, power supply, speakers? Ive got an EVGA 850W PSU that i've used for years as a test PSU specifically because it has a bad case of coil whine. It runs at full load all the time, and its never given me any issues, but its definitely noisy when it does it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
My laptop makes coil whine when I move my mouse. My desktop does it to. Really comes down to how sensitive you are to such things.

Pretty sure it is high polling rate or high refresh rate displays that do it. As I change the polling rate on my laptop mouse, it changes frequency. On my desktop, I haven't been paying attention since I changed mice. I need to check if it still does it. Certainly did it with my old Steelcase mouse.

I used to have an old hard drive I could hear. The electrical noise from the swing arms would come through my onboard sound. I ended up getting a sound card.

Reactions: artk2219