Sony Crashes VR Party with Unveiling of Project Morpheus

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
I think the PS4 will be able to run at 1080p, but not at 60fps and from what i've read, higher frame rates are important to reduce motion sickness. So either the games will have to be simple or have their graphics scaled back. Good to see innovation and competition though. And as that's now 2 main platforms with VR, this should encourage big companies to design games with VR as a main focus as opposed to being strapped on afterwards. Despite all of Call of Duty's problems, it was one of the first FPS on Console to do the stereoscopic 3D on console, so this could be a nice addition for the future.

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
" Sony could, if Morpheus matches up to the competition, price everyone else out of the market."

Except that the Oculus (the competition you seem to be eluding to) does not work for the consoles, and this device is not for PC. So no, I don't see that happening. Not to mention, did you see the last time Sony released a head mount 3D display? It was a thousand bucks... without all of the extra motion tracking equipment. Sony has never been in the business to be the company that looks to price others out of the market. Everything they sell is priced at a premium simply because of the name Sony, and I don't see that tax going away. Just take a look at their TV division. The example of how friendly they are by selling their PS3's at a lose for their good buddies i.e. the consumer doesn't fly either as ALL the consoles back then, PS1, 2, 3 Dreamcast, N64, Original Xbox, 360.... They all sold the hardware at a loss and eventually turned profit.

Anyways, it's two different market segments.. I'm sure Palmer isn't getting bent out of shape, nor was he attending this "party" that Sony crashed.

shriganesh

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Very funny. I don't think Sony is never a competitor to Oculus VR. Sony will never bring it's tech to PC. Where as Oculus is very open and have the advantage of being open. Where as many people are skeptical about Sony as they try to lock out everything else.

Menigmand

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Of course the PS4 can do 1080p@60, it just depends on how much graphical detail you program into the game. If you do a game for a VR-headset, then you can sacrifice graphics for resolution and fps.. it's purely a design choice.

itookmypills

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Just a 90 degree field of view??? Last time I checked humans have a ~180 degree field of view. It will be like looking through a window, but with 3d.

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

Its only driving one 1080p screen. Oculus splits the resolution in half. so each eye actually sees 960 by 1080. But still you points relevant. Even if the PS4 does do 1080p, it wont do it at more than 30fps with 'next gen graphics' which will lead to awful blur and motion sickness.
Also the Oculus has a field of view of 110° as opposed to just 90°. Also the the oculus has a larger screen by 0.6 of an inch (every little helps lol) Rift is also OLED as oposed to LCD. Same resolution though

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

Its a bit worrying though, when you have to reduce graphics to reach 1080p @60fps. I'm sure PS4 could play gta 4 at 1080p, 60fps, but its not exactly next gen then is it? Are people really going to want to step back a generation in graphics, just to use a VR headset? Interested to see the outcome. All inovation is good, and adds to competition.

panchojuan

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
meh. this wont work/www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YCBadIVro8&list=PLckFgM6dUP2hc4iy-IdKFtqR9TeZWMPjmat around minute 17:00. you need 120fps for good vr (meaning no dizziness or vomiting)

dennisburke

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Just a 90 degree field of view??? Last time I checked humans have a ~180 degree field of view. It will be like looking through a window, but with 3d.
It's true that our field of view is 180 degrees, but we can only focus on what we're looking at. To get a true 180 degree field of view the screen would have to wrap half way around our heads...that would be cool...flexible screens may make that possible. But you're right, 90 degrees is like looking through a window. When playing on my 27" 1080 if I can adjust the in-game viewing angle I'll move it up to 100~110 degrees...although sometimes I feel like a midget playing.Oculus VR has changed it to 100 degrees, which is good, but I would think software could have some say in it too.

sp00

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
The ps4 doesn't have to render more pixels for VR display. Half the screen for the left and half the screen for the right eye. So it shouldn't tax the system that much more, unless it is a full 1080p for each eye.

KosherGrimace

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
My coworkers at Red Lobster had an excited conversation about the Morpheus today, and when I mentioned Oculus was given confused looks and told they'd never heard of it.That sounds like bad news for Oculus (and MS and Kinect for that matter). Mainstream console users recognize a recently announced product, but still haven't heard of one that's been openly developed and discussed for years.SuXBone is going to have a really tough time dealing with lackluster hardware, poor development tools, AND the boring kinect system instead of VR.

Status
Not open for further replies.