Sony Explains Why We Didn't See the PS4 Itself Last Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
we didn't see the main attraction, the PS4, but we had to see Diablo 3. again. Shame on you Sony, for not having Kazunori Yamauchi showcase next gen discussion about his upcoming GT6 game that has such a loyal following of dedicated fans with money to throw at their GT games, but, we had to see Diablo 3. again.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Makes sense from a PR standpoint - there will always be rumors about surprise games and the like, but rumors about the design of the actual console are liable to keep more interest. The danger Sony always faced with doing the roll-out this early has been that the console would start to seem stale and unexciting by the time it actually hits retail. Not sure if keeping back the box everything is wrapped in will fix that problem entirely, but it's something I guess.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
No, Sony did showcase the PS4 last night, it was invisible because they are using that light bending material the military uses to make things invisible..... you can even make shirts out of.... see right through you.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
[citation][nom]leon2006[/nom]AMD better be on time with the APU for this machine.[/citation]

AMD was the one that went running to Sony , begging them to take their two year old Bulldozer chips that were stocked full in their warehouses. No issues for any delays there.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
When I saw the Blizzard logo, I was immediately annoyed. And WOW did Blizzard do a terrible presentation, that did NOTHING to help hype the PS4.

Here's what I learned about Diablo 3 for consoles last night:

1. It's multiplatform, and is confirmed for PS3, and PS4. Wording was given to strongly suggest that it would release on Microsoft's systems as well.

2. The PS3 version looks really great they say. No advantages of the PS4 system were given. Nothing about extra features, or better graphics, or anything else. We got "The PS3 version looks great". Thanks Blizz.

3. Graphics have been re-done vs the PC version, so characters are 3D models, not paper dolls, direct control of character, and dodge was added.

4. Blizzard's "lifeblood is consoles" now, apparently.

Hey Blizzard! Hey, yeah you! Your presentation was BORING for console gamers. You didn't show any cool gameplay or give any details they'll be excited about! You failed there. You didn't show off ANYTHING that promotes the PS4 at a PS4 launch event, which is just really really insulting to Sony! And guess what? You also managed to alienate your PC gamer fans, you are the actual lifeblood of your business.

Could Blizzard have done a worse job?

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Curious that PS4 patent design is not shown like other similar articles regarding pre-released devices and/or hardware? Is Japan more closed with its patents than US?

G

Attention console gamers: Be very careful hitching your wagon to Blizzard's star.

Less than a year ago Blizzard dropped one of the biggest disappointment-bombs in gaming history, and most certainly the biggest in PC gaming history: Diablo 3.

I don't see how a console port will change the fact that this is a mediocre game, nor change that the Blizzard we know from back in the day is long gone, replaced by a team that has rights to their IP but is clearly Not Blizzard.

And yes, PC gaming has been the lifeblood of Blizzards business, and by even suggesting otherwise they are exposing themselves once again as totally delusional.

redeemer

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
Lol AMD haters Sony and Microsoft made the decision to use AMD because it the best choice. Nvidia and Intel sucks for these kinds of applications so stop being butthurt!

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]noblerabbit[/nom]we didn't see the main attraction, the PS4, but we had to see Diablo 3. again. Shame on you Sony, for not having Kazunori Yamauchi showcase next gen discussion about his upcoming GT6 game that has such a loyal following of dedicated fans with money to throw at their GT games, but, we had to see Diablo 3. again.[/citation]
I imagine that "Driveclub" game is like a replacement for the GT series. Its basically the same thing made by another dev. I didnt quite understand their concept of the game though, what I could make out of it was "Racing wth guilds" sort of thing. I hope Sony gets to making a new GT though.

G

This has nothing to do with Hype! There has to be something fundamental with the design of the PS4 that hasn't been worked out yet. That's the only reason I can think of. I have NEVER seen a new product presentation where they didn't have a demo unit to show everyone.

Did Steve Jobs ever present a new product without actually showing it to the audience? No! I can't believe Sony has the arrogance to think they can!

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Sony better let us assign keyboard control functions in games, like how we can do with PC games. This, and previous generation game compatibility will let me decide to get PS4, or give up on console gaming completely!

Jprobes

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
[citation][nom]jzak[/nom]This has nothing to do with Hype! There has to be something fundamental with the design of the PS4 that hasn't been worked out yet. That's the only reason I can think of. I have NEVER seen a new product presentation where they didn't have a demo unit to show everyone. Did Steve Jobs ever present a new product without actually showing it to the audience? No! I can't believe Sony has the arrogance to think they can![/citation]

That is because most people who purchase Apple products are more concerned with how it looks rather then the hardware it contains.

Would it make any real difference to you if Sony was to have a black box with a PS4 logo slapped on it?

They debuted the controller, which is where the main functionality of the system is harnessed, the device casing itself is moot when it comes to the hardware inside.

G

"[...] We have to keep something new for later. Otherwise you'd get bored."

So instead for 3 hours last night, waiting to see the actual PS4 we were bored instead...

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]"[...] We have to keep something new for later. Otherwise you'd get bored." So instead for 3 hours last night, waiting to see the actual PS4 we were bored instead...[/citation]
lol, I sat through the entire stream waiting to see the actual box. but I do understand why they didnt show the console itself. they did a good job in setting up the hype for E3. and I have no doubt there will be some more exclusives announced that day. I personally dont care a wole lot about how the box looks though. hopefully in the E3, along with the box, they announce mod support, which would be great with the x86 support.

f-14

Distinguished
because it's awkward not to show the controller when someone is doing a demo.

you know what's awkward to not have a platform on display when launching it.

the D3 demo..... i have nothing but anger. the rage of hate for bobby kotick/activision is so powerful right now it carrys over to every one at blizzard for going along with this.

i knew right away from the dumbing down of everything to do with the diablo franchise in D3 was the kiss of death for this game. seeing it play on a PS4.

i will NEVER buy anything made by any of the parties involved!

as far as i am concerned 'booby' KOtiCK, crapdivision, and snowblind are now on the same level as Al-queda!

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]the D3 demo..... i have nothing but anger. the rage of hate for bobby kotick/activision is so powerful right now it carrys over to every one at blizzard for going along with this.i knew right away from the dumbing down of everything to do with the diablo franchise in D3 was the kiss of death for this game. seeing it play on a PS4. i will NEVER buy anything made by any of the parties involved! as far as i am concerned 'booby' KOtiCK, crapdivision, and snowblind are now on the same level as Al-queda![/citation]

Oh please, grow up. These companies are here to make money not suck your penis and tell you they love you. Diablo 3 on PC was a clear indication of where Blizzard is heading, they already made a lot of people angry with their decisions. They still have good games, only times will tell if they will get greedier and worse. They don't need to keep their products PC exclusive to be good and they aren't betraying anyone by bringing Diablo 3 tor console ffs! Still, I can imagine Diablo 3 being good on a console. If you ever played Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for the PS2 then you'll know how good dungeon crawler games can be with a controller.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]noblerabbit[/nom]-Anti-AMD fanboy-[/citation]

Sony isn't using the Bulldozer chips. They're using a custom APU, whose standard version hasn't hit the OEM market yet.

drinkingcola86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Email from AMD about the PS4.

AMD announces major design win with Sony PS4™

Hello #####,

AMD is excited about the upcoming launch of the Sony PlayStation®4 (PS4™) game console, powered by a semi-custom designed AMD accelerated processing unit (APU). The PS4 is the first announced design win based on semi-custom AMD APUs, and demonstrates AMD's commitment to taking AMD technology into adjacent high growth markets.

What exactly is a semi-custom APU? Visit our blog to get the full story.

Linked information

AMD and The Sony PS4. Allow Me To Elaborate.
February 21, 2013 by John Taylor

Yesterday, Sony gave a sneak-peek at its next-generation PlayStation®4 (PS4™) game console coming later this year and, here at AMD, we couldn’t be more excited. Bringing a supercharged PC architecture that combines next-gen hardware, software, and the fastest game network in the world. Oh, and this is all powered by a semi-custom designed AMD accelerated processing unit (APU) jointly developed in coordination with Sony!

In fact, the PS4 is the first announced design win based on semi-custom AMD APUs. This further demonstrates our commitment to take AMD technology into adjacent high growth markets as we diversify beyond the PC.

What exactly is a semi-custom APU? Let me elaborate:

At the most basic level, an APU is a single chip that combines general-purpose x86 central processing unit (CPU) cores with a graphics processing unit (GPU) and a variety of system elements, including memory controllers, specialized video decoders, display outputs, etc. Our semi-custom solutions take the same treasure trove of graphics; compute and multi-media IP found in our APUs, and customize them for customers who have a very specific high-volume product that could benefit from AMD’s leading-edge technologies.

In the case of the PS4, we leveraged the building blocks of our 2013 product roadmap – the same technologies you find in the latest AMD APUs powering PCs, ultrathin notebooks and tablets – to create a solution that incorporates our upcoming, low-power AMD “Jaguar” CPU cores with next-generation AMD Radeon™ graphics delivering nearly 2 TFLOPS of compute performance! This unique APU architecture enables game developers to easily harness the power of parallel processing to fundamentally change the console gaming experience. Not only creating the opportunity for new possibilities in software design, but also faster and more fluid graphics.

This is going to be a very exciting year for gamers, especially for those with AMD hardware in their PCs and consoles, as we have even more game-changing (pun intended) announcements still to come.

Look for some more exciting things happening at the Game Developers Conference (GDC) in March when we will provide even more info on how we are working with game developers to make AMD the hardware of choice for running the best games!

John Taylor is the Vice President of Global Communications and Industry Marketing at AMD. His postings are his own opinions and may not represent AMD’s positions, strategies or opinions. Links to third party sites, and references to third party trademarks, are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, AMD is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of AMD or any of its products is implied.

http://blogs.amd.com/fusion/2013/02/21/amd/ (link for up above information)

What I found surprising is that it's using the Jaguar APU in a custom build. What I'm now wondering is, is the Xbox using Bulldozer cores in the form of Bobcat or are they using the same Jaguar core?

snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
This is all hoo-hah. I'm not sure why I clicked this link but whatever.

Regardless, after sifting through the BS they call a console launch and their bull**** about how their fan base apparently only cares about aesthetics so they hid their design (OOOOOOHHHHH the suspense.... -_-) it seems all they're offering are better graphics and a bunch of bull**** bells and whistles.

I wonder how many good games this generation of consoles is going to buy exclusivity rights to and in the next 2 years drag into the mud with them? (that's just personal hate, don't mind me. That's not exclusively a Sony thing considering MS was horrible for that.)

It's just irritating to think that the group of gamers who care more about what their console looks like than how it functions is going to define how games are made... for another 5-10 years... Makes it easy to see another industry crash in the future. That is what makes me want to pirate games that I think look interesting, but contain console graphics only. I'm not paying full price for something developed from some walled garden garbage.

But whatever, this should flood the internet with more PSh*t vs Crapbox debates that prove nothing because both will be outdated in a year, and that's being generous.

G

@snowzsan

Uh, hello? What do you mean by "It'll only bring better graphics and bells and whistles"?
Have you and other people not woken up to the fact that -THIS- is the only thing that happens with every new generation of consoles? Can you not realize the purpose is to up the specs so that games can be further developed in those areas, and all of that as a marketing system to keep raking in the dollars?

You don't need something with a gazillion GHz and X GBs of RAM or whatever to make a good game.
You need creative people assembling something that doesn't turn broken and unfun. You have those games out there, and guess what, more often than not they can run on pretty low spec machines.

While all people care is graphics and crap over creative and innovative gameplay you'll just get hardware upgrades to bring out a rehash of some game series to rack in more money.

evga_fan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Wierd how a Sony PS4 topic ends up with Diablo bashing and ridicule written all over it.

Anyways TO THE ACUTAL POINT: What they've managed to do is building up even more tension and expectation (regrettably) towards the hardware which they talked VAGUELY on the event. I mean things like: "supercharged pc architecture, x86 cpu, enhanced pc gpu, local storage hdd"!!!
REALLY??? REALLY??? REALLY??? Is that the level of information and competense that should be expected at this level? I mean what if intel or whomever starts with crap like this: "Hey guys look at our new "quad brain thinker"! Nice isn't it?! Serioulsy what has the world come to - omg!

Nevertheless, holding something back will only serve to bite you in the ass at some point. Chances are that Sony will probably have theirs sliced and diced unless their console is an effin magician!

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]Could Blizzard have done a worse job?[/citation]
As a loyal Blizzard fan that plays all of their games (except the Diablo series, never could get into it), I'd have to agree with you. There is only so much hype you can generate about a game that is already out.

Although I don't blame Blizzard. It seems as me that Sony wanted Blizzard to be there because they are known to make great PC games and they wanted that hook to grab the attention of PC gamers (actually, it seemed like a lot of the PS4 event was aimed to grab the attention of PC gamers) . But Chris Metzen himself didn't seem to want to be there, probably because he knew there was nothing to show that hasn't already been shown.

Although I will admit that when I saw the Blizzard logo I instantly sat up and took notice. I was expecting the re-launch of Starcraft Ghost or perhaps even a entirely new franchise. But wow was I disappointed.

And I agree that it would of been good to invite the GT6 folks, but perhaps Sony did and the GT6 team turned them down. We may never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.