Sony Has a Thermal Sheet as Good as Thermal Paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Can't wait for this stuff to become more available and sites like Toms to give it a real test across different thermal pastes (like the ones mentioned in other comments) , CPUs and overclocks.

thorkle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]victorious 3930k[/nom]AS5 is CRAP.[/citation]
That sounds quite biased to me, the research can lean either way, but AS5 is always up there.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]victorious 3930k[/nom]AS5 is CRAP.[/citation]
No it's not! It's not the best around, but it's still rather good.
Beats the orange/red thing stock on coolers, beats the white discount stuff and is on par with zalman or other quality products.
I prefer arctic ceramic though, although I'm using mx3 at the moment.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]punnar[/nom]This would make it easier for novice builders in terms of application.[/citation]

Not just. Everyone but extreme overclockers or people who want to get dirty would use it. I have applied the paste tons of times and all successful and yielded good results but it's just messy and you have to watch for bubbles etc. With product like Sony's I think my life would be much easier. Need to have a look at it first but I do like the idea.
My moto is simple - if it works within 5-10% margin of best product and is much easier to use - it IS the best product.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Most people don't realize that thermal pastes aren't meant to be used for their thermal conductivity, as even toothpaste can work just as well for a short while. What you want in a thermal paste is longevity, in which case the paste that came with your cooler will do just fine. No need to spend $5 for less than an ounce of something that results in only a few degrees difference.

And if a few degrees difference will make or break your rig, it's time to look way beyond thermal paste.

"Enthusiasts" need to read this: http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm

unknownmember

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
who cares if this is only a degree or two better than paste, makes life that bit easier now if you sell systems. u wouldn't need to tint the surfaces anymore.

[citation][nom]merikafyeah[/nom]Most people don't realize that thermal pastes aren't meant to be used for their thermal conductivity, as even toothpaste can work just as well for a short while. What you want in a thermal paste is longevity, in which case the paste that came with your cooler will do just fine. No need to spend $5 for less than an ounce of something that results in only a few degrees difference.And if a few degrees difference will make or break your rig, it's time to look way beyond thermal paste."Enthusiasts" need to read this: http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm[/citation]
not sure why you got downgraded as you are spot on. Thermal paste is an insulator, not a conductor! It is ONLY used to get the tiny air pockets out from between the 2 sheets of metal, and to distribute the heat load more evenly on the heat sink.
In a normal rig, the 2-6*c difference between stock and quality paste really means nothing in the long run. Quality pastes will keep from caking longer, which is nice, but we are talking in the range of 8-12 years... even the cheap stuff will last much longer than your average game rig does before becoming obsolete (2-5 years).
But at the same time... thermal paste is cheap. When building a $500-1500 rig, why not spend an extra $5-10 on something 'special'? And that tube will last you just about forever (I am still working on my as5 tube I purchased some ~6 years ago).

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
This is interesting, I would be even more interested if we could buy the sheet and cut it ourselves to fit multiple CPU's OR if it is only going be a small sheet for 1 CPU.... on which case it might be too expensive.

Like others mentioned, I would like to read a full review of the final product.

G

Just what we need is another invention like HP's DV series laptops had.

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I am assuming this would come in a big sheet that can be cut to the proper size. If so, a benefit would be the fact that you know EXACTLY when you are getting low and need to reorder. I hate the fact that once you get low on compound it just bubbles a few times and that is your last dose. Then you have to reorder with your next CPU or else.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I'd prefer a 'sheet' over paste even if it is a few degrees off.
Sounds like a cleaner solution and less of a headache to deal with if you have to remove/replace the CPU cooler for some reason or another.

A sheet makes sense. You would no longer have to worry about the various outcomes of the different techniques of attempting to evenly distribute the compound or about the ideal quantity of compound to use.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Love the people bashing various thermal pastes and espousing their favorites as best.

News flash. There's almost no difference between any of the quality pastes. AS5 isn't the best, but it's within spitting distance of the best, as is every other quality TIM.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]There's almost no difference between any of the quality pastes.[/citation]

You are a very inexperience and quite of a delusional person.

I really want to know the paste used in there... I'm sure it was stock paste from the CPU vendor they used...

Sony is known for its shenanigans, so no trust in that demo. I want names, Sony, or you'll be just the curiosity of the day.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.