Sony Shows Microsoft It Means Business @ E3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great presentation, and great lineup! Now if the rest of Sony would be equally strong then the company would not go belly-up and some of this might mean something.

Project Morpheus is going to be just as much of a gimmick as the Eye Toy and Kinnect. Great idea, very cool tech, but without mass user adoption there will be little support from developers. I would love for VR to become a real thing, but as much as it pains me, the technology simply does not exist to make it really happen yet. We need much higher than 1080p displays, and a minimum of 60Hz refresh with minimal latency. If a $500 GPU cannot push that kind of fps and resolution out properly yet, then there is no way that these toy consoles are going to put out a product that will be any good.

Dirk_Funk

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Great presentation, and great lineup! Now if the rest of Sony would be equally strong then the company would not go belly-up and some of this might mean something.

Project Morpheus is going to be just as much of a gimmick as the Eye Toy and Kinnect. Great idea, very cool tech, but without mass user adoption there will be little support from developers. I would love for VR to become a real thing, but as much as it pains me, the technology simply does not exist to make it really happen yet. We need much higher than 1080p displays, and a minimum of 60Hz refresh with minimal latency. If a $500 GPU cannot push that kind of fps and resolution out properly yet, then there is no way that these toy consoles are going to put out a product that will be any good.

I'd hate to agree with you, but you are probably right. My short experience with occulus was mindblowing but very uncomfortable. I love rollercoasters and all sorts of things that do nastiness to people's guts, but it felt like my entire body was rejecting the occulus. Headaches and motion sickness. My friend who was letting me sample his said that it took some time but he had been used to it by then. Enthusiasts might be willing to power through for a glimpse at the future, but most people would rather just use a screen, without the discomfort.

But anyways, Destiny looks awesome :)

ExpLicitSainT

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
I'd personally rather see an American company succeed, and the jobs that MS offers in the US stay around. That said, the only thing Sony presented of interested was Destiny, which will be a title on the Xbox anyways. I'm looking forward to the new Halo release and it was nice to see MS talking about games running at full 1080P 60FPS for once. Hopefully they can continue that. All the other stuff like twitch, TV, internet video uploads, etc... are already on the Xbox.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I think people that know the history of Sony's E3 Press conference will take what is shown with a grain of salt (Look up 2005 Killzone "fake" trailer). No PS3 game E V E R looked remotely that good.

That being said, I think the "aged" gamers felt sold out by MS and in all honesty went back to PC gaming. Especially since you can stream from 1 machine to any other machine (Linux and Mac included) without even having a GPU worth writing home about (aka an intel "GPU"). I've been streaming WatchDogs and Skyrim from STEAM on my powerful PC (still more powerful than XBOXONE or PS4 and is years old). My SLI GTX 460 SE's have been doing great. All on my big TV, with a XBOX 360 / XBOX ONE controller and no need to pay the tax of the console being outdated in 2 years, but having to wait another 6 years for the next one. This will be the last version of console before everything heads to the cloud IMO. Hell my OUYA plays games from OnLive that look great and that thing isn't powerful (the OUYA) by any means.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Disclaimer: I own both consoles and like them both very much

After watching both MSFT's and Sony's E3's, i came away impressed more by microsoft's. Microsoft just has more AAA Developer's on board. virtually all of the big hitters have DLC coming first to Xbox, although i dont really care about it that much. Console DLC is expensive and comes out to late, after i've lost interest in the game all together.

I have to say, after all the hype, my xbox one gets used everyday because of the simple fact it integrates into my DirecTV setup. my PS4 sits idle until a exclusive title hits. Most of the games so far have been on PC as well, and my PC will always get the pick over the consoles so long as the game is available.

The success of the Xbox 360 is paying dividends to the Xbox One in regards to AAA title exclusivity. PS4 will catch up over the years, but the PS3's lackluster platform has done damage to the PS4.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
i also want to add, that the games for gold free games have been worlds better than the PSN free games. we are getting full titles, not just crappy arcade games.

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

I hope I haven't misread what you meant, but a £150 GPU can run most games at 1080p 60fps. My £340 R9 290 can run some games at 4k 60fps and certainly can run 1440p at 60fps and 1080p at 120fps. I doubted the ability of the PS4 when it first launched. I don't own one (I have a crossfire R9 290 PC setup) but my brother and my girlfriend do, and I'm impressed by what they can manage. I've read nothing but positive things about things about the 1080p oculus rift, so I'm sure console games that are used to having 720p most of the time wont mind.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Yikes, kind of a let down for PS4 owners, opening with Destiny. Over the past two generations they've almost unanimously declared that they consider Bungie overrated and that they generally think Resistance is better than anything Bungie ever made.

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Yes, Mikes were totaly crashed. Sony showed some really sweet games coming for their console while MS showed what(except for multiplaform i mean)? MS fails yet again.

Plitz

Reputable
May 22, 2014
@rokit Thats the kind of total fanboyism everyone hates ... BOTH companys failed hard! both showed mostly arcade games nobody cares ... and both showed AAA titles presented 1-2 years ago on E3.

Both had 2-3 good exclusives, not one game more.

Last year everyone praised Sony "yeah, GAMES ONLY! Sony wins" ... this year? "GAMES ONLY? Microsoft fails" ... hypocrites ...

chrispphunt

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
I think the new software and hardware presented by Sony really is great and shows they really are ivesting back into console market and gaming industry as a whole.
The standaout title for me is no mans sky, it looks amazing and really could be a gamechanger if its delivers on the promises. I don't think its a AAA title as suggested in this article though, its only a group of 6 developers from what i've read!

Steamin

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
I would like to start with saying thanks for not making this a fanboy comment rant extravaganza. I thought it was a decent showing from all 3 considering we are just in the first phase of new system launch (except Nintendo.) Personally I thought Microsoft had the better showing this year by a pretty good margin. I was just more excited by the games that Microsoft showed vs anything else. The only Sony announcement that was legit was Uncharted, but it's still a while out. Destiny and Grim Fandango are both multiplatform, so you can never consider that a win for anyone, and just because one console might get it a couple of weeks earlier is irrelevant.

I just thought the article title is a bit fanboy-ish, but better than some I've seen.

erick81

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
When it comes to console gaming for me at least it will never be a contest Sony's first party games just blow everything Microsoft does out of the water.

erick81

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
I'd personally rather see an American company succeed, and the jobs that MS offers in the US stay around. That said, the only thing Sony presented of interested was Destiny, which will be a title on the Xbox anyways. I'm looking forward to the new Halo release and it was nice to see MS talking about games running at full 1080P 60FPS for once. Hopefully they can continue that. All the other stuff like twitch, TV, internet video uploads, etc... are already on the Xbox.
At the last time I checked MS almost had 100000 employees total Sony had almost150000 in the US alone.

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013

I fail to see how having few exclusives presented on E3 is a fail when this generation was announced to not have much exclusives to begin with.

Like Blooborne, Uncharted 4, LBP3 right?

Sony on PS4: Order: 1886, Blooborne, Uncharted 4, LBP3, Let It Die, Driveclub, Deep Down
MS on X1: Quantum Break
List any 2-3 exclusive on a level of those Sony showed, any, i can see just one(and it was shown on previous E3)! Exclusive, not a multi that was simply shown on MS's presentetion.

The very fact that you wrote this line shows that you are an microshit fanboy. You can't accept that MS failed hard and that EVERY news site that have game section news have praised Sony presentetion and said how good it was especially with the lackluster MS' in comparission yet here you're writing...

Thats the kind of total fanboyism everyone hates.

Plitz

Reputable
May 22, 2014
You want exclusives? Well ... Halo? Forza Horizon 2? Fable? Project Spark? Crackdown? Sunset Overdrive? But i guess all this games totally suck ...

Its a Fact, that 1-2 years ago everyone hyped Sony for "Games only" in the conference ... and THE SAME SITES now praise Sony for showing not only games and crapping on microsoft because they dont show any stolen gimick ...

But okay, i am a Fanboy for hating both conferences ... you are no fanboy at all for praising every faked "ingame" trailer from sony and telling us, that microsoft had only one good game ...

The issue is always "at what settings" and "with what games"

The R9 290 is a respectable card, but as you said, it can only push 4K/60 or 1440/60 on SOME games, with SOME settings. Certainly running 2 in xFire helps in that considerably, but consoles do not have that option, and even with the option on PC there are some games and settings where even that amount of hardware is simply not enough. They (consoles) have to be able to play EVERY game at their standard (mid to high) settings, and with low latency in order to pull this off. As found with the Rift, many games are playable at 1080p... but text is still blurry, and other details simply are not good enough at that resolution. So then you are asking hardware that can barely eek out 1080/60 to push out 1440/60? I just don't see that happening any time soon.

The other issue is consistency. Even my good 'ol GTX 570 can play most games acceptably on high settings, with mods, and at 1200p (though having some extra ram would help on newer titles)... but it is merely 'acceptably' which means that we are hitting 60fps most of the time, but when stuff starts happening and the scene gets crazy then it will happily drop down to 30fps for a bit. This is fine and considered normal on a display, but with an immersive headset these sub 60fps dips are unacceptable. Meaning that it not only looks choppy, but can cause nausea and headaches, which is beyond being merely 'not acceptable'. High end GPU tech is getting there... but it is simply not there yet for PCs, and you can forget about it on console where you cannot fit a single $250+ GPU, much less 2 of them.

In other words, hitting these specs some of the time, on some games, with some settings is not good enough. It must hit this spec with all (or at least most) games at good settings, as well as future titles (in the case of consoles 8+ years of new titles), and never drop significantly below that 60fps mark. I am a huge advocate of technology... but GPU tech is simply not here yet even on the higher and more expensive end of the spectrum. It certainly is not here on the budget and console end of things yet. But it will come to PCs in the next 5-10 years... and then to consoles in 10-20 years.

When the tech arrives I will be one of the first to jump on board and enjoy it, but at least for the near future it is (sadly) still a pipe dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.