Sony Signs Chrome Browser Deal With Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Chrome has been my default browser for the past 3-4 months. I like it so far despite one minor bug (screen not displaying some objects properly, alt-tabing solves this) and the fact that I have to open a new tab to select a link from my favorites folder. Besides that, it's quite fast, clean and stable.

jesseiscanadian

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
I have used Chrome as my default browser at work since day 1. The tab organization is fantastic and good for dual monitors as you can create new windows with a click and drag. It is fast and stable, and in the "handful" of times i've have a webpage lock the browser up you can simply close the tab rather then the whole browser process. Would definitly use it out of the box, now using a Sony is a different story...

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
Sure, I'll try what ever is there, but I'm still going to install what I want. ;) This really only affect people too scared, lazy, or non-technically inclined to do the same.

volks1470

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
It's an interesting deal. I bet some people won't even know how to get on the internet without the internet explorer icon, lol.

I try to use firefox, but just about everyday I find myself using Chrome because firefox just doesn't work anymore. Firefox can't load certain things and can't properly load pages. The only thing keeping me using it is ADBLOCK+!!! Oh it's so nice...

tektek

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Variety is good.. just make sure we can go online and d/l whatever browser we want... now if vendors would actually sign a deal to NOT LAOD BLOATWARE.. that would be nice news!

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Never used chrome, but I suppose this is a step in the right direction. I'd rather see Sony offer up other browser choices too, but I guess Mozilla and Opera don't have the bucks Google does.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
So... do Mozilla and Opera whine about this or is it only when IE is the default browser that they whine? Seems to me the whining precedent they have set is they want to user to be able to CHOOSE a browser with the machine and not have one pre-installed.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Chrome's probably the fastest browser I have, clean, and I like the way it opens tabs and components in individual processes... but, it just doesn't have the compatibility yet, since its a new browser. So, the first thing I'd do on one of those Sony's is download Firefox.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
IE6 works perfectly for me. I browse my LAN all the time and no Viruses etc. Doesn't Chrome like oxidize in 2-3yrs or so if you don't wash it? I suppose that is the incentive for Sony to make people purchase thier products every 2-3 yrs. Makes sense.

backbydemand

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
How is this any differant than MS having IE bundled, is it because the OEM has more authority on what goes on a pre-built system?

Imagine Dell, HP and Acer all decide to use IE as their default, the EU wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
I usually use MFF just because I'm used to the UI and it has a bookmark toolbar. (which I use a LOT) But if Google chrome was a default browser.. you bet your balls I'd use it.

zshift

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I hate to break it to you guys, but this has been going on for a while now. I work at Best Buy and every new Sony Vaio laptop we've received for the past 3-4 weeks have had chrome pre-installed and setup as the default browser. Also, these new models have WAY less crap-ware installed than most other brands. Seems like Sony is finally making a turnaround and giving quality TLC to their "premium" laptops.

jjchmiel78

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I like Chrome for general browsing. I use it at work daily. Very stable and so fast when compared to firefox and IE. I just bought my mom a used laptop since she wants a computer but this is her first computer. It has XP on it and I installed chrome as her default browser since it is safer than IE simple and clean to use for her needs. With that said I use firefox at home since it more compatable with websites and oh all those plug ins that help me out. Still when I am at home and just want to pop on real quick and not do heavy browsing I use chrome at home.

citizenx

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
originally used Firefox started using chrome about a month after it was released and i never turned back. Google Rocks!!!

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
As a web developer I would still be using Firefox regardless of what default browser is installed because I like the web dev tools and firebug. I would even need IE8 to test with and it too has some nice debug/inspection tools compared to IE7 and less.

Status
Not open for further replies.