Sony Tablet S Review: The Media Enthusiast's Dream Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]tanjo[/nom]Can't they think of a better name? S? What's next Sony Tablet S II?[/citation]

Yeah, admittedly the name isn't catchy or memorable.

Cheers,
Andrew Ku
TomsHardware.com

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Great review... The Sony Tablet S is a nice looking device. I agree on the thinness issues that some companies do... my older Sony phone is still easier to hold than my new Samsung Galaxy which is half as thin.

I think SONY should have included an HDMI port, but wireless works too. HDMI has a limited life anyway as the video industry is moving to CAT6 instead. Its cheaper and can be far LONGER cable than HDMI.

There are both good and bad things about the SONY, its problems are rooted in Android in general and reminds me WHY I'm glad we went with an iPad(1), even compared to todays modern designs.

- Connectivity. The USB is for debug mode? How easy it is to share your data between a desktop and the tablet? My Samsung Android experience in this area is just as crappy today as it was a year ago. I doubt I'll ever buy another Samsung phone ever again, much less another Android. I'm looking to MS's WP8 next year.

- Performance: All these new tablets (I'm eying the Lenovo ThinkPad tablet - why they didn't name it ThinkTab? or Simply ThinkPad) have the same low Nvidia Tegra2 performance compared to the OLD iPad2. Same shorter battery life. Why would a typical person pay $500 when the iPad2 does it faster?

- Love the shape and remote control aspect of the SONY. Looks comfortable. When I went to Android (from a basic phone) I had a choice between the Samsung Galaxy and Sony's Android. Sony still had some quality issues to work out. Samsung had the better OMLED display and a cover for the USB port - rather than a stupid rubber cover to fight. Sony had a much nicer weight and feel. But considering that both phones hit the market at the same time - SONY using Android 1.6 vs. Samsung's 2.1 made me nervous about SONY's ability to upgrade. And then I experience Samsung & at&t failure for a proper Froyo update. Ice Cream has lots of improvements... but still buggy.

Its crap like that, that make me NOT want to buy another Android device. iOS 5 is a very nice update, it was far less painful than getting Froyo onto my Phone! (I had to use an old XP computer to do it) - but Apple pisses me off with their anti-competitive legal games they play against Android. And I have my issues with Microsoft.

Okay, they are ALL EVIL! So I'll go with the easiest and best thing at the time of my purchase.

With Amazon & RIM selling tablets at $200 now, the game will be different next spring when the iPad 3 comes out as well as Windows Mobile 8. Hopefully MS will just call mobile devices "Metro 8".

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I had one for a week and took it back. It's a nice device, but not worth $500 IMO. It is very plasticky (albeit lightweight), and it feel like the screen would crack with no more than a slight twist of the device.

The IR blaster was the one feature that made me consider keeping it. It works VERY well.

The Transformer Prime is going to be the same price and is better in every way, other than not having an IR blaster. Who would buy this instead? You'd either REALLY have to want that IR blaster or be a Sony fanboy.

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Good review Andrew Ku and great comparisons! Has IR port instead of RF... I don't know of anyone that wants an IR port vs RF. A little more expensive but who wants to be aiming this thing to change channels. Also don't like the fact that this doesn't have a full size USB or an HDMI port. ??? Think I'm going to hold off buying any tablet until they have what I need. HDMI out, USB 3, wired port always nice. And like Andrew said why pay $500 when ipad2 is faster.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Hard to see too many positives in this device, even with the overly optimistic review given here at Toms.

Bad ergonomics
Cheap plastic build
Expensive
Terrible battery life
Sony bloat on it

I played with one in store and found it to feel and look like a cheap toy compared to some of the other Android tablets.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]Bad ergonomics[/citation]Actually I thought the ergonomics were quite good. Hold like a book in portrait mode and for landscape mode you can "hang" it by one finger in each of the "loop" areas at the top.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]andywork78[/nom]Great review this is why i choose galaxy tab 10.1good price good options.However on your graph cart.Higher is better or lower is better?[/citation]

Hi Andy,

Which chart?

Cheers,
Andrew Ku
TomsHardware.com

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
If only the Transformer Prime had an IR Blaster....

I don't understand why more vendors don't include that. Having a universal remote seems like a no brainer to me.

If only we could get a Tegra 3 with an IR Blaster, a Wacom/Pressure Stylus Pen, micro usb/hdmi and an SDCard slot - that would be an artists go to tool.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]tsnorquist[/nom]If only the Transformer Prime had an IR Blaster.... I don't understand why more vendors don't include that. Having a universal remote seems like a no brainer to me.If only we could get a Tegra 3 with an IR Blaster, a Wacom/Pressure Stylus Pen, micro usb/hdmi and an SDCard slot - that would be an artists go to tool.[/citation]

I'll second that sentiment. All these features cost more money to implement, so it simply might not be cost effective. We'll have to see how things turn out with Transformer Prime.

Cheers,
Andrew Ku
TomsHardware.com

G

Happy to beable to read the review Im still in the stone age of having a house phone with cord and a big bulky computer so its time to get in with the times. *smirk* Thanks for all the great info on not only this but of others out there.

tj_the_first

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
* Is it able to control a PS3? I could replace my logitech i1000 with this so I can control everything.
* For a device this thick it's really odd that there's no SD/microSD, HDMI, USB-A. It suggests to me that design and aesthetics were completely seperate until the end.
* I don't understand their choice of bright white background for a media control when there's a good chance you'll be using it in darkened rooms.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]TJ_the_First[/nom]* Is it able to control a PS3? I could replace my logitech i1000 with this so I can control everything.* For a device this thick it's really odd that there's no SD/microSD, HDMI, USB-A. It suggests to me that design and aesthetics were completely seperate until the end. * I don't understand their choice of bright white background for a media control when there's a good chance you'll be using it in darkened rooms.[/citation]

What do you mean by "control a PS3"? Do you mean replace the PS3 remote? Or are you talking about using it like a dualshock controller?

I'd say yes to the first question and no to the second.

Cheers,
Andrew Ku
TomsHardware.com

tj_the_first

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Thanks Andrew, yes I meant replace the PS3 remote. I hadn't even considered its use as a PS3 controller but with Wii2 around the corner maybe it's not as stupid as it sounds.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Any android device is capable of DLNA streaming both receiving and "throwing" or bridging between a networked device and your TV.

Just pick up twonky server on the market place, my Galaxy S can stream 720p from my file server to my TV via Wifi without any issues. Its pretty impressive actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.