Sony to Put PlayStation Suite On Third Party Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
agree with the mess part.:D
wonder how many sony xperia play phones sold.
next device to sport ps suite might be p stab/ ps late/ pspad/ playstab tablets, use them with the new ps4.
sony-haters will have more devices to attack.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
for me the psp phone is all the wrong move its kinda going half ass phone half ass gaming unit and for me its all or nothing. the new psp vita if it can call ppl on it i might actually get it cuss its actually going for it

Daguava

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
I could see this being a good move for sony. Nintendo is ignoring the smartphone market for games, and Microsoft is working on it's windows phone, leaving a good spot for Sony to settle in and sell some games, assuming they don't mess it up some how.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Didn't Nintendo release a few months back a Pokemon game on iOS devices? Investors were really happy about that, I heard.

Let's hope they add support for PS2 games too. Because they've been milking the PS1 with the PS2, PS3, PSP, Xperia Phone, PS Vita (not sure about this one), now S1 and S2 tablets... Give it a rest already! The PS2 has an incredible game library. Tap into it already, Sony! What are you waiting for? Is it because PS2 units are still being sold in impoverished countries?

darkgauntlett

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]Other smartphones can't magically sprout proper gaming controls so how much does it matter?[/citation]

Soon, Android will support input from external devices. not ideal most of the time, but the option is nice to have.

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Were we not already aware of this? Correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought they even announced Tegra2 devices to receive this.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
IMO 3D gaming on a 3, 4 or even 5 inch phone is like driving a tank at 100km/h on a busy motorway. Unless any Android phone can be connected to any HDMI capable TV set there is no need for 3D gaming or external pads. It's just all in infant stage for now and not worth any attention.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Daguava[/nom]I could see this being a good move for sony. Nintendo is ignoring the smartphone market for games, and Microsoft is working on it's windows phone, leaving a good spot for Sony to settle in and sell some games, assuming they don't mess it up some how.[/citation]

It's going to be a good move up until it opens the gateway for the PSSuite being hacked and tricked out because someone is familiar with the inner workings of the device Sony puts it on. They won't have the snuggly security they had for awhile on PS3 on other people's hardware. People are VERY used to custom mods on their devices when it comes to Android. Let's also not forget that jailbreaking phones is even supposedly fully legal, so they can't even cry about it in court when someone mods their phone.

[citation][nom]dspider[/nom]Didn't Nintendo release a few months back a Pokemon game on iOS devices? Investors were really happy about that[/citation]

No, they released a marketing tool for the franchise that wasn't much of a game in Japan only, and investors weren't that happy. I don't care what investors want, investors would have Nintendo strangling babies if it thought there was money in it.

[citation][nom]darkgauntlett[/nom]Soon, Android will support input from external devices. not ideal most of the time, but the option is nice to have.[/citation]

There's not really much stopping it right now. The Wiimote can work with Android devices as a control device through bluetooth. All a company like Logitech needs to do is adapt one of their console style gamepads for bluetooth and preferably include a free app to customize it.

[citation][nom]edvinasm[/nom]IMO 3D gaming on a 3, 4 or even 5 inch phone is like driving a tank at 100km/h on a busy motorway. Unless any Android phone can be connected to any HDMI capable TV set there is no need for 3D gaming or external pads. It's just all in infant stage for now and not worth any attention.[/citation]

Also already possible. My phone sized Archos (Android) tablet has a miniHDMI out that connects to my TV. It's not that hard to wire a miniHDMI port into the phone as an out. BTW, driving a tank down the motorway at 100kmph sounds like a pretty good time to me.

[citation][nom]Chaostrix[/nom]wait.. other devices.. I don't even have the Playstation Suite on my Xperia play yet..[/citation]

Key point though, the suite isn't even out on the original device it was supposed to be for. I'm starting to think this is just another promised feature Sony won't actually deliver on. Unlike Nintendo, many of Sony's past hit titles were third party, they might have run into some trouble licensing the games people actually wanted to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.