Sony Vaio X is World's Lightest Notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I see what they did there. Called it a notebook instead of a netbook. I wonder what the lightest netbook is?

I've seen larger "netbooks" than this. The naming scheme is getting really out of hand.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]so its basically a $1000+ netbook. i just don't understand companies anymore.[/citation]

I do. Sony still has name recognition from when they were a good company. So they can throw together 200 bucks worth of netbook parts, throw in some carbon fiber and charge all the morons triple what it is worth.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]I see what they did there. Called it a notebook instead of a netbook. I wonder what the lightest netbook is? I've seen larger "netbooks" than this. The naming scheme is getting really out of hand.[/citation]
That's why they did not like the UMPC term, because it has to be confusing between net and note books.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Just noticed: The girl in the picture keeps the n*tbook at an inappropriate screen angle for viewing. Is reflection on the screen so bad?

Brainbent

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
From the site:

Intel® Atom™ Processor Z550 (2GHz)
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
Features: 11.1" LED backlit LCD, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD, GPS, Verizon Broadband, Bluetooth, Standard and Extended Batteries

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Looks like an awesome business notebook. The real question is how big and heavy the power adapter is?

Does this mean a carbon fiber unibody MacBook Air from Apple next?

amdgamer666

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
Huh I was expected it to be about $2000 so it makes sense that it uses an Atom. If it only had a C2D SU9600, it'd be drool-worthy and fun to have as a 2nd computer that you take wherever, if you could afford it.

On the topic of Atoms, no computer that ever sports an Atom should ever be considered a "notebook". That's misleading and it shouldn't get the "world's lightest notebook" bragging rights. And we all know how much that counts for these days when it comes to being light and thin.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Why do you need an optical drive? This thing is built for business on the go. You can always borrow an optical drive from a desktop in the office when needed.

This thing's a notebook, not a netbook, because it has a 'full size' keyboard.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]wildwell[/nom]Why do you need an optical drive? This thing is built for business on the go. You can always borrow an optical drive from a desktop in the office when needed. This thing's a notebook, not a netbook, because it has a 'full size' keyboard.[/citation]

Really a full size keyboard is all you need to be considered a notebook. Wonder if thats part of Intels restrictions? It is not a notebook it is a glorified netbook. I dont care what anyone else says an atom processor makes it a netbook. A notebook will at least have a celeron.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Pay over 1300 dollars for a laptop thats less powerfull than my 7 year old Athlon XP? No freaking way. A ULV processor at least would sweeten the deal a tad.

hannibal

Distinguished
If you use wordpad and maybe look your inventory saldo via internet, you don't need better than Atom. This is some serious traveller salesman tool. Extra sleek, extra expensive. Not for me, but there are people who needs this kind of machines.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]thackstonns[/nom]I do. Sony still has name recognition from when they were a good company. So they can throw together 200 bucks worth of netbook parts, throw in some carbon fiber and charge all the morons triple what it is worth.[/citation]

Thats why im not gonna pay a sinlge battery owned by Sony till they change attitude as a company. Cause I agree too much with what you said along a lot more that Ive experienced over the years from Sony. Appla is not even half way there to my opinion for Sony as a company yet even if I dont like Apple as one either.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Personally, I like a 17" 1920x1200 res with a 4670 1GB in it, but I guiss this works for some people.

Hmm... when are we going to see 40nm AMD mobile processors? That's what I'm really interested in.

Though as soon as the i3 or whatever, the dual core with a integrated GPU comes out, that should sweaten the notebook world. The GPU would easily be great for non gaming (and even a little light gaming), the dual core is satisfacotry, and the rest of the chipset integratation would hopefully help increase performance while reducing power usage.

For the meantime however, this seems pretty nice. I'd be afaid to break it though.

G

SSD, Carbon Fibre Shell, extremely thin and light? Very high resolution screen for a netbook? I hate to point this out to folks but the primary cost in this laptop is not the CPU or GPU but in the actual unit itself. They could technically build it with higher end CPU but then it would cost more and be nowhere near as light and thin due to the requirements for cooling. If you want to see a very powerful but expensive laptop in this category, I suggest the Vaio Z series which I own.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]manos[/nom]Thats[sic] why im[sic] not gonna[sic] pay[?] a sinlge[sic] battery owned[?] by Sony till[sic] they change attitude as a company. Cause[sic] I agree too much with what you said along[?] a lot more that Ive[sic] experienced over the years from Sony. Appla[sic] is not even half way[sic] there to[?] my opinion for Sony as a company yet[?] even if I dont[sic] like Apple as one either[???].[/citation]

All your Sony battery are belong to us!

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
From supermodels to laptops, I guess thin is in... but I'd never buy a Sony Vaio in my life - they tend to break down like a supermodel looking at an egg and cheese sandwich.

smokinu

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
Great thin light notebooks. Now make one that can have its GPU upgraded, and dont turn burn my pecker when ummmmm nevermind.

Status
Not open for further replies.