Sony's $100 MP3 Player is Sold Inside a Bottle of Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012
4GB is not enough for your entire collection?! Do people really have over 800 songs they regularly listen to?Either way 4GB is enough for FAR more than a "Few" albums lol

g-unit1111

Titan

You don't know a lot of metal fans do you? We are generally the ones that tend to buy the whole album. And most of us have rather large collections. :lol:

4GB is not enough for your entire collection?! Do people really have over 800 songs they regularly listen to?Either way 4GB is enough for FAR more than a "Few" albums lol
It has been a long time since I had to actually choose what I'd take with me. I have all my library on my cellphone. A 32GB version costing twice would actually make sense to me.

G

Nice. They pollute the water you're about to drink with electronics lol.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
@CaptainTom,I personally own over 400 CDs (and I haven't bought one in probably 10 years). If you include all of my digital collection, there is probably close to a TB (in ~160kb MP3s). Lately I've been using Grooveshark though.As for the product, it is a cool marketing concept and being waterproof is great. However, I doubt that these will sound good enough to justify a $100 price tag. For that much I could get a set of Shure SE215s. For swimmers I can understand it, but for anyone else it seems a little overkill. I commute on my bicycle to work every day and frequently have to ride through heavy rain for 30 minutes at a time and I've never hesitated to wear my Klipsch S4s. In fact, over the years owning over a dozen sets of headphones, I've never had any of them get damaged by water.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I would like to see this blue-tooth enabled so then you could pair it to a phone or tablet etc. This way you could not only listen to locally stored music but can also stream media from other devices.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
@captaintom 4GB is certainly not enough if you buy a lot of music in lossless formats like I do. Even on high quality mp3s, 4 GB is only really enough for 400 songs or so. But if you have a .wav, its easily 11 megs/min. That means if you have more than 6 hours of music in that format, you've filled 4gb. I personally have about 2-3 DAYS worth of music in my library from the past 20+ years I've been buying music (I never throw CDs out which make up the bulk of my purchases), and many are stored as high quality mp3 and wav, so I can barely fit all of my music on a 32gb card, much less a 4gb one.

UVB076

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
@captaintom 4GB is certainly not enough if you buy a lot of music in lossless formats like I do. Even on high quality mp3s, 4 GB is only really enough for 400 songs or so. But if you have a .wav, its easily 11 megs/min. That means if you have more than 6 hours of music in that format, you've filled 4gb. I personally have about 2-3 DAYS worth of music in my library from the past 20+ years I've been buying music (I never throw CDs out which make up the bulk of my purchases), and many are stored as high quality mp3 and wav, so I can barely fit all of my music on a 32gb card, much less a 4gb one.
I doubt that you can hear the difference between acceptable-quality MP3 and WAV on this, given that the actual earphone part of this probably isn't that good.

UVB076

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I doubt that you can hear the difference between acceptable-quality MP3 and WAV on this, given that the actual earphone part of this probably isn't that good.

Morbus

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
You don't know a lot of metal fans do you? We are generally the ones that tend to buy the whole album. And most of us have rather large collections. :lol:[/quotemsg]
Yeah. He doesn't know us. The discography of my favorite band alone is almost 10GB, and that's mostly MP3, but I do have some FLAC albums. If I include the rest of my "listen to" music storage that size climbs up to 35GB...

Fixed your code. - G

g-unit1111

Titan

I would buy that in 1/2 a second if this product were available. Being able to stream whole albums from my phone via Bluetooth while I'm in the pool? That would be an instant sell. A 4GB shuffle player with no screen and no switches? No sale.

Yeah. He doesn't know us. The discography of my favorite band alone is almost 10GB, and that's mostly MP3, but I do have some FLAC albums. If I include the rest of my "listen to" music storage that size climbs up to 35GB...

Seriously. I'm a Dream Theater fan and most of the albums I have (studio, live, and band-sanctioned live albums would alone take a little over 2GB compressed. The new Transatlantic album takes over 150MB compressed for five tracks. :lol:

Arls

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hellobragi/the-dash-wireless-smart-in-ear-headphones

THIS ^^^ Is what you are looking for.

OBVIOUSLY Sony's target market isn't for nerds with TB's of loss-less music. I'm an audiofile with a solid vinyl collection and a few hundred GBs of music. However when I'm running or at the gym I don't want to listen to deep album tracks, I want to be motivated and pumped up. I put my greatest hits of punk rock and metal songs into one playlist rock out. 4GB is more than enough room! Its all about target market, don't complain that a product won't be able to fit your entire FLAC library into tiny wireless ear buds.

Mand12

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
Water absorbs Bluetooth signals incredibly strongly. It's how microwave ovens work, and almost exactly the same frequency. Even if the device worked in the water, you wouldn't get either Bluetooth or other wi-fi while underwater.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
While quality loss for more compressed music can be audible and even at lower qualities you won't be able to store your whole collection I think it would still be acceptable If you accept the stock earplugs that would impact the overall experience a lot more then some big compression. Sure 4gb is not much but I think it being about the only music player that works underwater it could be something for people who do spend a lot of time in the water and want to listen to music while they do so. Again very much a niche product.

fatboytyler

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
My iPod is currently sitting at 26GB worth of music... So yea...

schultzter

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

Wearing head phones while cycling is even dumber than @CaptainTom 's comment!

typicalGeek

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
The point of a device like this is to be waterproof, not hold your entire collection. If playing reasonably high bit rate (256 Kbps) MP3, you're looking at about 2 MB per minute of music. So this player would hold about 30+ hours of music. Even at an hour a day's use at the gym or pool, you wouldn't have to hear a song repeat for an entire month. That's really quite a bit more than "a couple of albums for today's workout".

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
I'd say you'd be fine with 168kbit or even 128kbit sure the difference is audible but hey you are bound to the shitty included IEM's anyway.

JohnUSA

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
When evil and selfish Mozilla does this reprehensible act I will uninstall this browser in a nanosecond and never ever use it again.Go to hell Mozilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS