Sony's PS3 Drops Linux; Why You Should Care

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well, next time they find a glitch in the browser they'll turn that off. Then somebody will compromise the game loader, and they will remotely brick them all completely. All for security reasons.

G

Good article.

The masses don't care.
sigh - is that how they become masses?

I bought my ps3 because it had Linux and backward compatibility and it should become a great media streamer
and it was the only place I could play FFXIII

Now we are fighting to get our broke backup utility working. So far no answer from Sony support.

sigh

G

i'm extremely unhappy that sony is stealing features from me that i paid for. would love to participate in litigation against them for it. i'm stunned that there aren't more people who care. it doesn't even matter whether or not you used linux, it only matters if you bought a model with that feature.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Sony's overall attitude in this matter has become the industry's standard attitude.

This is just the general cycle of things. Eventually this 'generation' (No, not just wii, 360, ps3) will die out, and in it's ashes, a new one will be born.

Lets just remember what the oldest and most successful gaming console is: The PC.

G

I remember when Creative disabled recording from FM radio on its Creative Zen Vision M, only to enable it again, when wiser counsel prevailed. Sony could learn a thing or two from them.

Linux on PS3 is a fantastic marketing feature. It endears the PS3 to the research community. As far as piracy is concerned, I don't remember sales of the PS2 plummeting because it was modded to play pirated games. That console is still selling, and selling quite well when i visited Sim Lim last in Singapore.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
If the originall purpose was to give homebrew enthusiasts a tool to play with, it is pretty crappy they take it away midstream. For people buying the PS3 for that reason, it really sucks. But if that is all they use if for, they could choose not to update (which still kinda sucks).

Personally, I tried to install Linux (which I love) but I had no luck getting it to install. It really wasn't going to do me any good anyhow because I wanted to then install XBMC which you cant because of the lack of GPU support.

Since the new PS3s dont support Linux, this decision probably wont hurt sales. If they were successful in creating a hack, and it copied games to the HDD it could have a huge impact on game sales. So, from that respect, I can understand why they did that if there really was a security issue.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]about to loose Gary on psn[/nom]Good article.The masses don't care.sigh - is that how they become masses?I bought my ps3 because it had Linux and backward compatibility and it should become a great media streamer and it was the only place I could play FFXIIINow we are fighting to get our broke backup utility working. So far no answer from Sony support.sigh[/citation]
Same here but I was not impressed with Linux on it. I do run Ubuntu full time on my laptop. PS3 is best at games and playing Blue Ray movies. I will leave Linux for a real computer.
As far as FF XIII goes, save your money, it sucks. Sure it's pretty but thats about it. Pick up Oblivion game of the year if you want a great RPG, it's cheap now too.
FF XII was the best of the series.

How is PSS 3 best for playing games?

That's the PC.

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]Sony's overall attitude in this matter has become the industry's standard attitude.This is just the general cycle of things. Eventually this 'generation' (No, not just wii, 360, ps3) will die out, and in it's ashes, a new one will be born. Lets just remember what the oldest and most successful gaming console is: The PC.[/citation]

Nah, man. I remember when I was a little kid there was no such thing as a 'PC', but there were plenty of console games even in the early 70s, as shown below:

http://www.thegameconsole.com/

Technically, the groundwork for what we call a PC today arrived in 1981.

wavebossa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]Did Sony think they reached a point of diminishing returns with Linux?[/citation]

Seeing how Linux was never the PS3's main selling point, i would say yes.

I know there are some (relatively not many at all) people who bought a ps3 just for this reason, and Sony knows this as well. They just figured pissing that portion off is acceptable.

Dont forget, this is the same company that had spotty backwards compatability out the gate and people still bought their product. The truth is, not even remotely enough people really care at all about linux on ps3 to make this a huge issue.

And one more thing, enough of this "take legal action against sony for stealing my features!" nonsense. You have no legal case whatsoever, you do not own the rights to the PS3 coding, features, deveolopement, etc. This is the same way you cannot sue microsoft for remmoving a feature in a Windows 7 Update. You may feel pissed off, but legally speaking, a big company pissing off their costumers is not a crime...

The "you" was not directed to JohnnyLucky but rather to some post I have read on this article and articles similar to it.

wicko

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
Argh, this article is missing the biggest point: the people that actually care about linux on their PS3 are not playing games on them. This loss of feature does not apply to those using their PS3 for research or the like. It only applies to the average consumer, and if it is really that much of a deal, don't update PSN.

While I don't think this move by Sony was a good one for the consumer, no matter how they try to spin it, the reaction to this is completely exaggerated and the majority of people complaining don't use the feature. Honestly, it has little real applications to the majority of ps3 owners, and those that want to game as well, buy a Slim. Chances are you'll burn out your fat PS3 by gaming on it so you've just extended its life by purchasing a slim and doing your gaming on there.

wavebossa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
[citation][nom]wicko[/nom]Argh, this article is missing the biggest point: the people that actually care about linux on their PS3 are not playing games on them. This loss of feature does not apply to those using their PS3 for research or the like. It only applies to the average consumer, and if it is really that much of a deal, don't update PSN. While I don't think this move by Sony was a good one for the consumer, no matter how they try to spin it, the reaction to this is completely exaggerated and the majority of people complaining don't use the feature. Honestly, it has little real applications to the majority of ps3 owners, and those that want to game as well, buy a Slim. Chances are you'll burn out your fat PS3 by gaming on it so you've just extended its life by purchasing a slim and doing your gaming on there.[/citation]

Wicko it seems like you are kinda contradicting yourself. In the first paragraph you say that people really care about the loss of this feature and then you say the reaction to it is completely exaggerated because the majority of people dont care about this feature.

I happen to agree with the bottom paragraph of your post becasue it is the truth. When I say "people dont care" I dont mean "No one cares" i mean "not nearly enough people care"

Walk about to a group of frat buddies or roommates or neighborhood friends (depending on ur age range) who own a ps3 and ask them how mad they are that OtherOS is no longer supported.

Yeah... most will say, "huh?" and get back to playing madden or guitar hero.

id's support of Open Source makes sense. Alot of projects make use of game engines from id. It's kind of the same thinking Microsoft has by giving away Visual Studio for cheap or free to students. Developers cut their game development teeth on an id engine, so when they get hired somewhere they recommend licensing a newer id engine.

pittath

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
wow $ony goes from installing rootkits on our PC's through music sales to the classic;
bait and switch.

Seems a proxy may enable users to stay connected to the PSN and NOT update. Google: Logan5

PS3 "It only does everything" except what it used to.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
wavebossa:

The thing is microsoft wont remove features from windows and if they do it wont be a mandatory update (not that removing features ever is an update). Even so lets say microsoft removed a function in example audio cd playback and i skipped the update i can still play games for windows log in to msn messenger and do my updates. This way they force me to make an educated choice between having their audio cd player or having to use 3th party software but the rest of my software and it feature or functions would remain unchanged.

Sony on the other hand does remove a function and forces us to chose between losing (online) gaming functions and a whole lot more or losing the linux functions and in this case there is no 3th party solution making your analogy between microsoft windows and the sony playstation3 invalid.

Once more keep in mind that an EULA has no value in most of the world and they sold us a working product.

Status
Not open for further replies.